Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'll take the Cleveland Barons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Could be fun to maybe do some other stipulations if we've got sub 20 drafters. Do a 32 player draft with a prospect system and one player from each NHL team or something.

But that's me, the guy who likes talking and arguing about prospects (so it would be 23 man roster, 9 prospects, one player per NHL team).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Would any guy on a two way/unsigned count towards your prospects? Or would you have to designate as you picked?

Like, I take Bedard, he's a roster guy though. Or I could be sneaky and count him as a prospect (not that you'd necessarily want to?)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sounds good to me. I'd be up for something like that if everyone else is. Seems a bit more interesting than a normal draft with sub 20 teams.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I guess unsigned vet guys could count towards the team they were previously on?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Tarasenko? Dumba? Tatar? Patrick Kane ?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Works for me, how many slots are we thinking then, 33?

32 and you can remove one team for a FA slot if you wish?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So for rules:

32 Picks (23 Roster players + 9 prospects/system guys).

1 player from each team (can use 1 FA slot to ignore a team).

Otherwise the same as the OP, salary cap, NHL affiliated or FA, yadda yadda.

Does anyone want to do the sheet?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Alright, did a quick and dirty copy of a previous year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iY0Tz8ieKJr6bibbu6SeTdKOin2MaWhmgSaznnTzCd4/edit#gid=0 -- I set up a team template for Cleveland. Feel free to copy that to track your own team or do something better! When picking, please include position and in the sheet format it as so: Player (Team) so that we can more easily keep track of what teams people have picked from for the 1 player per team limit.

Draft Order:

1. Vancouver Canucks: JawKnee
2. California Golden Seals: Ginette Reno
3. Toronto Arenas: eXXon
4. Montreal Canadiens: stab
5. Seattle Kraken: VOTE1
6. St. Louis Blues: Duckman2008
7. Montreal Wanderers: kalensc
8. Florida Everblades: El Gallinero Gros
9. Cleveland Barons: T-Bone
10. Atlanta Thrashers: WeaponX
11. Philadelphia Flyers: mentholmoose
12. Hartford Whalers: fawning deference
13. Columbus Blue Jackets: Furnaceface
14. Quebec Bulldogs: Jordan7hm

Let's plan on starting the timer Friday 7/21 at 10:00am EST. You can pick now if you want, but the timer won't start until then.

Rules:

1. Players you select must be the "property" of an NHL team (or have played last season in the NHL).

2. The salary cap for 2023-2024 is $126m million. The cap floor is $92m million. If you gently caress up the cap we'll laugh at you but we'll still need you next year because this forum is dying.

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #31, that team also picks #32 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you. As the draft gets into the later rounds, we have traditionally sped up the timer to put finishes touches on our teams with depth guys.

4. We will be selecting 23 roster players, 8 prospects and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies for your roster, and your prospects can be any position. New Rule -- you must select one player per NHL team! As of *today* 7/19, any unsigned player counts as a free slot (although you will need to account for their eventual contract). You can use 1 FA slot to replace any team of your choosing. Also, your coach counts for your team slot! So if you take Babcock, Columbus down.

e: Let me know if you see anything hosed in the sheet, or feel free to fix it yourself.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
JawKnee is up if he wants to pick :)

No timer till Friday though!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If JawKnee isn't ready by Friday I could swap him to the end and move everyone up in the queue too, to give him some time to get back. Up to you guys.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Alright, I pmed him on disc, if he hasn't responded by late tonight I'll move people up

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sorry, should be updated now. Ginette is up.

e: Added cap hit/expiration, if someone wants to add a roll up sheet with cap hits that would be great

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

Hmm, no chance of bullying any more people to get up to 16 at least?

talked to boxc and missing jagr, they're down, will add them at the end

e: added them and updated the sheet

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 21, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Stab is up

Bedard at #2 is obviously somewhat of a risk but I don't think it's too crazy if you're building a young core and with the 1 player per team limit.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 21, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
oh my bad, sorry

Now Stab is up!

I always wonder if MacKinnon's ferocious style will catch up to him but he seems indestructible

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Vote is up, technically the clock has started, so we'll give him until noon EST.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Duckman is technically up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
off to a blistering start

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'll take Matthew Tkachuk

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Almost took him.

Yeah honestly Hughes/Makar/Fox/Pastrnak (and one or two other players) were the other guys I was considering but you guys made the choice for me

Robertson seems pretty great too

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
MissingJagr wants Shesterkin + Dahlin

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Maybe he gets back to me but I'm gonna take Brady Tkachuk

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Do we want to make the cap any higher btw with just 16 teams?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wouldn't it just be double with 16 teams?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

It's hard to run out of cap room normally and with only 16 teams nobody is going to be forced to take the worst contracts so something more like 1.5x would make sense.

Works for me.

so maybe say $126m, work for everyone?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I'd be willing to take over and make the picks now if it's okay with everyone else.

Lemme ask in disc real quick before you do

e: edited rules to

quote:

2. The salary cap for 2023-2024 is $126m million. The cap floor is $92m million. If you gently caress up the cap we'll laugh at you but we'll still need you next year because this forum is dying.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Am I picking or no?

Yeah go for it.

Ginette wants Kaprizov

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Stab's up till noon, then it's Vote1's pick so I suppose anyone who's around can consensus him if they want.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I'm still fine with taking over his team and making picks but if the forum would rather consensus him that is okay too.

I'd rather consensus personally than have one person drafting two teams, the results are probably going to be similar anyway and this keeps the draft moving better when he's up

e: Really we should have just removed him entirely, but whatever the picks have been made

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 24, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyway seems like Brayden Point works for that team?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

stab posted:

Artemi Panarin

So to have like a post or two of discussion in this thread: Seems pretty early for Panarin, especially from a team like the Rangers that potentially have a lot of other draftable good players.

I think his horrific series vs. the Devils is maybe being weighed a little too much, but he's 31 and on the downswing -- Stab you always take interesting teams but feels like Panarin would have been available two or three rounds from now.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

stab posted:

Youre missing the gimmick, it'll come with time lol

Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact gimmick?

someone hide Wojtek Wolski

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Duckman said to skip him, kalensc is up

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like the Beniers pick, it's a debatable one given the established stars still around, but the upside is huge. Intriguing!

I'm gonna go the same route with Moritz Seider -- he's big and he plays big (plays like an rear end in a top hat even), and that's what my team is all about.

Tkachuk/Tkachuk/Seider is the start of the Cleveland Bastards

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 24, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interesting pick but I do tend to think he would have lasted many more rounds.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
MissingJagr wants Dougie Hamilton and Evgeni Malkin

e: added a team sheet to the google doc for easier tracking

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 25, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
these teams all looked pretty stacked, but I guess that makes sense with 16

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The following teams had no players selected from in the first three rounds, which is pretty interesting/telling/damning:

WSH/STL/PHI/MTL/LAK/CGY/ANA/SJS (with the Sharks just getting on the board with EK).

Tampa leads the way with (5) players selected. NJ/NYR/DAL are next with (4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
e: FIXED

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 25, 2023