Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ive had to miss the last few of these because of work/covid, I think its about time I came back to ruin another franchises future. One I havnt done before.

Gimme the Columbus "Cannon" Blue Jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im here kinda sorta. Im on holidays and out so my picks are going to be really sporadic so dont be afraid to skip me.

Going to take a chance on Tage Thompson staying healthy and ridiculously skilled for his size as well as Clayton Keller on the assumption that getting out of Arizona and playing with actual NHL players will benefit him.

e: Can someone update the spreadsheet for me, having trouble doing it on my phone.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

kalensc posted:

It would be a neat wrinkle to randomly choose a number from 1 to 99 until you hit a jersey number of an available player. Although could definitely be a pain in the rear end if RNG wasn't being kind haha.

This was literally going to be my gimmick until the last second. I had to abandon it once I realized it would actually be more time consuming without a full host of goons picking mostly because I think hitting the salary cap would happen quicker than we suspect.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

stab posted:

Tim Stutzle

Dammit stab. Was really hoping everyone would forget Ottawa exists.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think that makes me up?

After the big run on goalies early Im going to take a risk and get Akira Toriyama Schmid. He played well, until he didnt. But I think there is enough upside and room for improvement, even if there are still a few better established goalies on the board.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fawning deference posted:

Love me some Schmid but this is shockingly early for him. He would have been available had you waited another 3 rounds I'd think.

He wasnt even the best Devil available, but I kind of want to try and draft a young team for once. Every time Ive done this my teams average age always ends up being like 34+. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im taking noted tiny man Cole Caufield because small scorers rule.

Yeah that is my only reason for this pick, deal with it. :colbert:

e:
Keller - Thompson - Caufield

WHO NEEDS DEFENSE

Schmid

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 25, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Tage and Cole doing a Twins remake

It would be a thing of majestic beauty.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

In the middle of cooking dinner, will make my pick in a few. Also need some time to look up some players cause my short list got cleaned out.

e: Oh wait there is still one player left on my list. Kind of shocked he is still there too.

Gimme Trevor Zegras, another young high up side player with probably still a bit of room to grow. Wont be breaking 100 points or anything but I can see him being a consistent 70+ point player for my second line. Also fills my gently caress DEFENSE quota.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 26, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Can I assume it's safe for me to pick? Gimme Alex DeBrincat. I'm still out and phone posting so I will update and write up later.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK Im home. Thanks for updating for me T-Bone.

As for the write up:
Why DeBrincat? Well, there is no shortage of good D still available, something I clearly need, but I think him still being available meant skipping over need in favour of taking best player available (from a team with not many good players to pick from).

Also I just really like the idea of building a team around winning every game 8-7, like the Oilers/Flyers of old. Just, well, being more likeable. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How the heck did you guys make it back to me so quick? I feel like I know nothing about hockey since the rest of you apparently have like 20 player deep lists and hammer them out so fast.

Anyway, I guess I will finally break the streak and end Philly's lack of picks in the 7th round and take Travis Konecny. "But you still havnt taken any player that knows defense!" you might say, and you might be right, but out here in Columbus we are just constantly firing those cannons forward no time to look back.

DeBrincat - Zegras - Konecny

Schmid

Weeeeeee

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 29, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I like Konecny a lot. Big time oval office, good Flyer

Yeah knowing I had to have at least one Flyer he was a pretty good option this far in.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh, its me again. I guess I will end my other streak of no one playing D by taking Noah Dobson, a guy I honestly never heard of. Probably because he plays for the Islanders. But he is young and putting up 50 points so it cant be all bad.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sorry was the first day back at work today.

Going to take Sam Girard and Brent Burns. Mostly because that is all that is left on my list and Im too tired right now to go look up more players.

e:

Girard - Dobson
X - Burns

Schmid

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 31, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im home work sucks let me just quickly scan the Pens roster for a young playe... oh. Oh no.

Uh, I guess gimme Rickard Rakell, he is still young-ish. For a Penguin.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fawning deference posted:

Wasn't Jordan up before you?

I had a missed pick so not at this part of the draft snake, he is up again now, then me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sorry Im back to work now so my picks are going to be very sporadic. At least I only have one make up pick this time.

The two players I really wanted went after I was passed, which sucks, so I think its only fair I take on a contract that maybe kinda sucks (for only 2 more years). Columbus will take one (1) Jamie Benn and stick him on the third line. Maybe second. Depends who else I get.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh hey, I just got home and it looks like Im up?

Going to take a gamble on a young C that I would think Ottawa will give a contract to (currently in arbitration I think?). Gimme Shane Pinto.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I thought being limited to one player per team would make this easy but holy hell, I never actually looked at some of the NHL team rosters. poo poo is dire in some cases.

Taking former Barrie Colt Andreas Athanasiou because good lord Chicago's available roster is not good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I wont be home until later today so feel free to skip me when I come up.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oops, was so tired when I got home yesterday I completely forgot to do this.

With my first outstanding pick I think Im going to pick up Jared Spurgeon who despite his age is still quietly playing pretty good hockey. Probably not good enough for what he gets paid, but I feel like I can eat the extra costs currently.

With the second outstanding pick Im going to grab Matt Grzelcyk who is apparently pretty good and on a relatively low cost for an ideal defensive D for my third pairing.

e: Im not good with lines so this is my current Frankenstein's hockey roster

Benn - Pinto - Rakell
?? - ?? - Athanasiou

Girard - Dobson
?? - Burns
Grzelcyk - Spurgeon

Schmid

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 7, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK I am home from work and ready to pick. Twice again by the looks of it.

First Im going to snag Quinton Byfield from the Kings, who I had scratched off my list earlier thinking he had been picked. Oops.

Second I will be taking Darth VaderDan Vladar and pray to the most random of goalie gods that getting out of Calgary turns him around.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Maybe it came up during consensus pick talk and we both assumed it was a pick? Only thing I can think of.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im home!

Burns needs a partner that is offensive.

No not that kind of offensive.

Going to take young and affordable Adam Boqvist from Columbus to add to Columbus hoping that the new fresh coat of lead filled paint increases his productivity.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh I apparently missed one of my picks?

Ill take Ilya Mikheyev because I need a winger and he is the only Canucks player I know the name of that hasnt been picked. Yeah that is my reasoning.

e: So how does this work anyway? 21 roster players, a coach, then 10 prospects?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 12, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Work is chaos right now since we are preparing for flu shot season, I will try to keep up when I can but its going to be very sporadic.

e: Oh its my pick right now anyway. Gimme a minute, Ill grab someone.

e2: OK Im gonna grab a coach for this mess of a team. He worked wonders his first year in Edmonton so maybe his magic will work here in Columbus. Welcome aboard Jay Woodcroft.

e3: OK well if we are skipping that group I will grab another to move this along. Ill take Brayden Schenn with the second pick.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah Ill catch up on picks tomorrow after work. I think its just two but I need to actually spend a few minutes looking at prospects for the teams I have left and right now my brain is just too tired after this wild week.