Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lammasu posted:

You never heard of the Undertale con orgy? Know what the worst part is? The only one you recognize is Sans. Everyone else is an OC.

Well I didn't until NOW. :saddumb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
One thing I liked about the series is how they delt with homophobia. Usually in fantasy settings people are gay and everyone is fine with it but these shows are one of the few instances were characters encounter discrimination.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lammasu posted:

I'm scared by how much I like these shows.

It's refreshingly different and new.

It feels unafraid to tackle various issues or feel as if it's pushing too far.

These days it does feel like a lot of stuff is played safe or formed in committee, this does not. A lot of stuff we've kinda seen before.

Hazbin and Helluva really isn't.

It's bold and unique.

Also the music is contant greats.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 23, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lammasu posted:

One thing I liked about the series is how they delt with homophobia. Usually in fantasy settings people are gay and everyone is fine with it but these shows are one of the few instances were characters encounter discrimination.

It surprised me in kind of the opposite way actually; as I posted before, it initially seemed like everybody in Hell is some flavor of bi and that's just normal, and then when they get to the Moxxie's dad episode suddenly it's homophobia central which caught me way off guard. Maybe I'm not watching the right fantasy stuff lol

But again, if there weren't homophobia it wouldn't be hell.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Data Graham posted:

It surprised me in kind of the opposite way actually; as I posted before, it initially seemed like everybody in Hell is some flavor of bi and that's just normal, and then when they get to the Moxxie's dad episode suddenly it's homophobia central which caught me way off guard. Maybe I'm not watching the right fantasy stuff lol

The first instance of it was the news caster refusing to shake Charlie's hand and saying, "I don't touch the gays"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lammasu posted:

The first instance of it was the news caster refusing to shake Charlie's hand and saying, "I don't touch the gays"
In Hell there are definitely going to be those who maintain their previous life’s beliefs and thoughts. Likely religious types who can’t figure out why they went to hell despite doing everything right. You know, the types, the ones who call other sinners despite themselves being full of hate. The type that say they believe and worship Jesus Christ……and do everything opposite of what he preached, yet will still scream they are the good ones. Not to say all those who are homophobic are former religious types, only they make up the large percentage of them. You always have some like Moxxie’s father who is just a close-minded assholes.

Then there’s the rest of Hell who likely look at the fact they are in Hell and decide, who really gives a poo poo who someone loves when you are in Hell. It’s not that big a deal and if they got someone, that's probably something to be envious of. Probably more than most have. Life is tough enough in Hell, why give a rats behind who someone is with? It’s not important. For a good portion of them they have committed actual crimes, done bad things. Getting worked up over who someone is sleeping with is positively silly.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 23, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I kind of like that Crimson is the weirdo outlier among Hell's denizens for giving a flying gently caress about this kind of thing in the first place. I think it has a lot to do with being a mafia family and how in those cases toxic masculinity tends to be the name of the game. Most especially when it comes to producing heirs. In any other case the dude would be relieved Moxxie settled down with a wife but his greed is so intense he dismisses it entirely and just wants to hand him over to whoever is going to line his pockets the fastest.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Last Call posted:

It's refreshingly different and new.

It feels unafraid to tackle various issues or feel as if it's pushing too far.

These days it does feel like a lot of stuff is played safe or formed in committee, this does not. A lot of stuff we've kinda seen before.

Hazbin and Helluva really isn't.

It's bold and unique.

Also the music is contant greats.

yeah. i kinda like that its not safe but its also not "mean",

Lammasu posted:

yeah. I like LGBTQ in fantasy and i think alot of pieces do it very very well. but i also feel like alot of places either suck at show discrimination OR make the Queer character 1 note. i always being annoyed with Dragon age because i really liked dorian as a companion but his entire personal quest was "wahh daddy hates me because i am gay" which felt like undercut all the interesting stuff about his character and his relationships.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I kind of like that Crimson is the weirdo outlier among Hell's denizens for giving a flying gently caress about this kind of thing in the first place. I think it has a lot to do with being a mafia family and how in those cases toxic masculinity tends to be the name of the game. Most especially when it comes to producing heirs. In any other case the dude would be relieved Moxxie settled down with a wife but his greed is so intense he dismisses it entirely and just wants to hand him over to whoever is going to line his pockets the fastest.

my view of crimson is he is a mob boss on the decline and while he has still has alot of power, he knows at some point he is gonna get got by the new don or whatever. so when his disipoitment theater kid son's dipshit fuckboi ex shows up claiming to have tons of money or whatever, he goes for it because he actually needs the cash. same why he kidnaped fizz and poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It doesn't have to be Alastor, but I can't help but imagine this show is one of the only places where you'd find a character fitting this theme music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG_e8ve0l_w

And I'd said before, I get the feeling how things work is more that hellborn and sinners tend to affect each other, especially culturally, and a lot of attitudes seem to drip down and up between the circles. And beyond.

I do feel like there's a theme that Heaven, Hell, and Earth aren't just planes of existence put into service in certain spiritual ecosystems, they are communities and cultures that are inextricably connected, they affect each other, there's personal relationships, cultural connections and old family baggage going up and down every which way, despite that many of the people in charge on all three believe there are strict walls between them.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 24, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my view of crimson is he is a mob boss on the decline and while he has still has alot of power, he knows at some point he is gonna get got by the new don or whatever. so when his disipoitment theater kid son's dipshit fuckboi ex shows up claiming to have tons of money or whatever, he goes for it because he actually needs the cash. same why he kidnaped fizz and poo poo.

It's entirely likely the family is in debt since well--they live in greed and loving around financially is their bread and butter. I can believe he's getting desperate for a fast cash boost because monkeying around with the lover of one the seven deadly sins puts him and his on said sin's shitlist right loving quick. i really want some fallout from that event to be addressed at a later date. Like Crimson is pulling some shenanigans when a representative of Ozzie's shows up and informs him he's been invited to a meeting and his attendance is mandatory. I.E. He's going to get the same treatment his lawyer did.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i kinda like that its not safe but its also not "mean",

This this this, a hundred times this. It's something I remember from watching the pilot and glad it was removed that just cruelty to people in the universe was a constant punch line. Needless meanness and cruelty seem to be a punchline in a lot of "adult" cartoons and I'm so happy Helluva and Hazbin moved on from that without loosing the "people are dealing with lovely situations" energy. It's very refreshing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The only character like that left is the newsreader, I think.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Big plus one on praise for the shows avoiding the typical "adult comedy = unnecessarily mean" pitfall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's kinda got the whole, Adult Swim but grown up vibe, understanding the world is full of weird and mean and insane poo poo but not needing to rub it in the audience's face. Feels like a pretty sensible next step for an audience who's grown up with that, sick of both cloying saccharine cleanness and piss poo poo all-edge-no-point meanness.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it’s kind of like an Adult Swim show crossed with a Disney musical (and that goes double for Hazbin). It’s a weird combination but somehow it works.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda got the whole, Adult Swim but grown up vibe, understanding the world is full of weird and mean and insane poo poo but not needing to rub it in the audience's face. Feels like a pretty sensible next step for an audience who's grown up with that, sick of both cloying saccharine cleanness and piss poo poo all-edge-no-point meanness.

Yeah. Like i still love aqua teen even though it’s mean as poo poo but that knows how it works. Early seasons of Rick and morty are a good example of what not to do and even they evolved past that a lot.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of like an Adult Swim show crossed with a Disney musical (and that goes double for Hazbin). It’s a weird combination but somehow it works.

Yeah. It kinda does Disney better than Disney right now in some ways.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah. Like i still love aqua teen even though it’s mean as poo poo but that knows how it works. Early seasons of Rick and morty are a good example of what not to do and even they evolved past that a lot.

Yeah. It kinda does Disney better than Disney right now in some ways.

I've watched a couple videos break down how Hazbin has unintentionally stolen Disney's torch when it comes to the animated musical. That they're hitting the right notes that Disney usually knocks out of the park but has been failing hard at as of late.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
helps that their songs use actual rhyming meter as opposed to the lurching arrhythmic structure LMM popularized. tired of that noise

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's cheesy to say but Hazbin Hotel has something a lot of shows lack.

It has heart.

You can tell it's a work of passion for a lot of folks.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

The Last Call posted:

It's cheesy to say but Hazbin Hotel has something a lot of shows lack.

It has heart.

You can tell it's a work of passion for a lot of folks.

You make a very sad but true point about today's animation landscape. It's what I was scared of those first few episodes, like all the little bumps and idiosyncrasies that come from passionate people making things were sanded down and removed.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Since I'm new to this thread what kind of drama has Twitter had? Pre Musk it was a septic tank and now it's a broken septic tank. It always surprised me that people like Ted Cruz decry Disney while being oblivious to the LGBT content in modern cartoons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
these two shows have always been the epicenter of a hurricane of psychotic discourse. it's not worth asking about and not worth dwelling on

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lammasu posted:

Since I'm new to this thread what kind of drama has Twitter had? Pre Musk it was a septic tank and now it's a broken septic tank. It always surprised me that people like Ted Cruz decry Disney while being oblivious to the LGBT content in modern cartoons.

All of it.

You got a cartoon about Hell.
You got the main characters in Hell being the good ones.
Heaven is bad.
Gay people! Think of the children!

That's going to rile up some people.

Then there are people who are going to dig through everything in Viv's past and try to portray her in a negative light. None of which stuck because anything that some tried to make an issue was much about nothing.

But they keep trying.

No one cares as it's transparent what some are attempting.

In the end it's not worth paying attention to, enjoy the show and avoid any drama. Like a lot of things online it's people trying to make up poo poo for making up shits sake. Typical right wing poo poo in other words and not worth the attention.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What is everyone's favorite gag? I really liked Cherri's reaction to learning that Sir Pentious has two dicks.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I don’t know that anything has made me laugh harder than “What the gently caress is insurance!?”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I've watched a couple videos break down how Hazbin has unintentionally stolen Disney's torch when it comes to the animated musical. That they're hitting the right notes that Disney usually knocks out of the park but has been failing hard at as of late.

Yeah. The music is catchy but also works in telling the story and such.

The Last Call posted:

All of it.

Heaven is bad.

Then there are people who are going to dig through everything in Viv's past and try to portray her in a negative light. None of which stuck because anything that some tried to make an issue was much about nothing.

But they keep trying.

In the end it's not worth paying attention to, enjoy the show and avoid any drama. Like a lot of things online it's people trying to make up poo poo for making up shits sake. Typical right wing poo poo in other words and not worth the attention.

The Last Call posted:

All of it.

Heaven is bad.

But they keep trying.

The last big thing I saw was that Rosie was proof of vivs antisemitism because accent and cannibalism = blood libel. Also people are attacking the actor who plays Valentino because he also must be a rapist.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Also want to shout out the show for changing my mind on there being a character name Vaggy. At first I rolled my eyes super hard cause it seemed super juvenile, but then learning the fact that Adam names all his angels, and he names them simple names of things he likes, and he loving sucks completely changed my position

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
There were a lot of good bits in the Helluvaboss pilot.

"When I become lonely, I become hungry. And when I become hungry, I want to choke on that red BLEEP of yours, BLEEP your salad and BLEEP lick all of your BLEEP, before taking out your BLEEP, and BLEEP-ing with more teeth until you're screaming EXTENDED BLEEP like a loving baby."
"The gently caress is insurance"
"Kids die for free" after the whole tape of people getting murdered
"I don't talk to dogs, I'm a cat person"
"Christ on a stick, I guess there is a God." BAM
Mom sucks at drawing own son TV headline
*Body gets droped onto her from above*

You know what, it's all pretty drat great and funny as hell.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah. The music is catchy but also works in telling the story and such.

The last big thing I saw was that Rosie was proof of vivs antisemitism because accent and cannibalism = blood libel. Also people are attacking the actor who plays Valentino because he also must be a rapist.

Jesus christ I swear if we get the Joffery discourse again I'm going to tear my hair out. What is it with people not being able to separate the actor from the character!?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My favorite joke is still the egg boiz being separate contacts in Charlie's phone

My favorite HB joke is still Loona shouting SHUT THE gently caress UP offscreen after everyone shouts about LooLoo Land. Just perfect delivery

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 24, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Jesus christ I swear if we get the Joffery discourse again I'm going to tear my hair out. What is it with people not being able to separate the actor from the character!?

its because alot of online media nerds/fandoms are filled with morons and people who dont understand social ques or anything and get mad when shits not black and white or is black and white and also if you show something its endorcing it and if an actor plays a hosed up monster, it means they are a hosed up monster.

Macaluso posted:

My favorite joke is still the egg boiz being separate contacts in Charlie's phone

My favorite HB joke is still Loona shouting SHUT THE gently caress UP offscreen after everyone shouts about LooLoo Land. Just perfect delivery

yeah the "shut the gently caress up" and the "what the gently caress is insurance", i like the "daddy likey dummy" line and the "you R,,really shouldnt say that word anymore" line. bunch of others too. i actually like the cherubs episode alot too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

There were a lot of good bits in the Helluvaboss pilot.

"When I become lonely, I become hungry. And when I become hungry, I want to choke on that red BLEEP of yours, BLEEP your salad and BLEEP lick all of your BLEEP, before taking out your BLEEP, and BLEEP-ing with more teeth until you're screaming EXTENDED BLEEP like a loving baby."
"The gently caress is insurance"
"Kids die for free" after the whole tape of people getting murdered
"I don't talk to dogs, I'm a cat person"
"Christ on a stick, I guess there is a God." BAM
Mom sucks at drawing own son TV headline
*Body gets droped onto her from above*

You know what, it's all pretty drat great and funny as hell.

i do kinda like how they changed stolas from kinda of valantino type to a much softer weird dude who just got into a relationship he likes and is just super horny about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's also a ton of twitter drama addicts from the Tumblr diaspora who got worse. (Apparently they tried to return to Tumblr but got told to gently caress off, lol) They're lunatic grifters who try to turn literally everything into a cause celebre and have only gotten worse at it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also a ton of twitter drama addicts from the Tumblr diaspora who got worse. (Apparently they tried to return to Tumblr but got told to gently caress off, lol) They're lunatic grifters who try to turn literally everything into a cause celebre and have only gotten worse at it.

Is there some greater goal or is just about stirring the pot?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Covok posted:

Is there some greater goal or is just about stirring the pot?

A lot of it is weird purity poo poo mixed with just being socially maladjusted. I think a lot of people take the “don’t put people on pedestals” stuff way way to literally and then you end up with people just trying to collect metaphorical scalps over weird small or nonexistent poo poo. I don’t think cancel culture exists as the chuds paint it but there is a toxic trend of trying to bring random creators down on made up or exaggerated poo poo because reasons. I can understand not liking vivs stuff, i have plenty of online friends who don’t or like parts of it. But they don’t turn into kiwifarms about it. I am not gonna white knight, I don’t know the lady outside some of her posts and Instagram but like she seems normal enough. I met her once at a con a couple years ago and got an autograph and mostly ended up talking to Adam nylan about shirts design’s because we had the same shirt. I got an autograph and a tiny sketch and that was that. She seems nice enough. Idk. I don’t get the hate boner for her. I think at worst she did react to some poo poo and went for bait. But she seems less like that now.
https://x.com/VivziePop/status/1768353933783924994?s=20
The most recent was this and then said people switched it to be about Rosie because accent and blood libel.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I also like when Blitzo talks about all the humans drooling over Loona and they all look at the camera. Vivz knew what she was doing when she deisgned her.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
When I first saw Mimzy I first thought she was created based on Zsa Zsa Gabor and her acts.

Her line "I knew you were all waiting for me" was in reference to those who did know of her past designs and expected her.

At one point she was going to be the girlfriend of Alastor and a regular part of the cast.

Lammasu posted:

I also like when Blitzo talks about all the humans drooling over Loona and they all look at the camera. Vivz knew what she was doing when she deisgned her.

Truthfully, it didn't matter how they designed her. People were going to react the same no matter what. They have with every other character. It's kinda why I hate the whole shipping thing, people go nuts and take it at times way too far. It's probably why I'm so tough on a lot of the relationship aspects people want to see happen, seen others being extremely over zealous in other fandoms and how that goes. It exist with these series as well.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Last Call posted:

When I first saw Mimzy I first thought she was created based on Zsa Zsa Gabor and her acts.

Her line "I knew you were all waiting for me" was in reference to those who did know of her past designs and expected her.

At one point she was going to be the girlfriend of Alastor and a regular part of the cast.

Truthfully, it didn't matter how they designed her. People were going to react the same no matter what. They have with every other character. It's kinda why I hate the whole shipping thing, people go nuts and take it at times way too far. It's probably why I'm so tough on a lot of the relationship aspects people want to see happen, seen others being extremely over zealous in other fandoms and how that goes. It exist with these series as well.

Shipping is a primordial human drive. Most of what we know of the Camelot mythos is shipping fan fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lammasu posted:

Shipping is a primordial human drive. Most of what we know of the Camelot mythos is shipping fan fiction.

Perhaps.

Modern shipping is still annoying as hell.

Took the SPN fandom for me to realize how batshit nuts some of these people are.