Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

herculon posted:

So do we get trophies on how long we watched the movie?

Speedrun them by turning up the playback speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

herculon posted:

maybe we can do a little tracker where people post or update their Watched lists after they watch and post their review while the movie is still active, maybe little vhs boxes to represent the movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

maybe we can do a little tracker where people post their Watched lists after they watch and post their review while the movie is still active

i think thts the way to do it, update your first post with a little Watched list and a review of the movie as you watch em. and obviously talk about the movie in the thread

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Made it through Enter the Dragon and the following hour after it ends without making Kung fu poses and sound effects at your pets or furniture, etc.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

Made it through Enter the Dragon and the following hour after it ends without making Kung fu poses and sound effects at your pets or furniture, etc.

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Punished Chuck posted:

Lol impossible

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Our very first pick for 2023 Movie Club is....

THE MASTER dir. by Paul Thomas Anderson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTM8eO1Oec

quote:

A Naval veteran arrives home from war unsettled and uncertain of his future - until he is tantalized by the Cause and its charismatic leader.

While we will draw for another movie next Monday, all movies will have a two week period to be watched and reviewed. The deadline for this film is Jul 24.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Win pick.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Great pick

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

hell yeah good choice

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
this will help me get one movie closer to my goal of watching everything Philip Seymour Hoffman was in, so I approve

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Already have this on blu-ray, natch

copy
Jul 26, 2007

just started it. lol'ing nervously. cats seem really interested in it too

copy
Jul 26, 2007

and immediately becomes super serious

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

While we will draw for another movie next Monday, all movies will have a two week period to be watched and reviewed. The deadline for this film is Jul 24.

good loving start, my dude

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I haven't seen this one before but it sounds great

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Starting The Master now. This will be the second PTA film I'll have seen.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
seeing movie title plus poster, realizing i know nothing ab it then immediately closing the thread until i watch it ftw

thanks for the epic sig el spider

copy
Jul 26, 2007

not quite sure what happened or how I feel about it but overall I think this movie was really cool. gonna take some more time to digest and maybe rewatch

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I haven't seen this since it came out. I most remember PSH calling someone a pig gently caress. Looking forward to a rewatch.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

startin this now. joaquin phoenix is such a good little freak lmao

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
going to grab some popcorn and watch soon too

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
this movie was loving retarded and epic lol :santahurr: im just going to put my review/discussion/whatever of it in spoilers so no bitch rear end little babies get the movie they shouldve watched by now ruined

so like the guy is a lunatic and at the beginning i feel like his navy buddies are screwing with him but that just might be my perception
but i get the feeling they know hes a loon and they make him drink and have sex with beach sculptures for their amusement but who the hell knows
and thats the main thing is who the hell knows describes this movie so well

on a surface level its about a crazy who cant hold a job after leaving the service he just cant reintegrate with society and its potentially some form of ptsd
he gets swept into a cult reminiscent of scientology except its reconciling with your past selves ie your ancestors or spirits that still live within you kind of like some thetan poo poo
the cult leader acts like a psychologist/therapist who puts people under hypnosis but he sees it as something slightly different because hes also crazy
also theres this lady who seems to be the real leader of this cult and might actually be a real doctor and maybe both hoffman(lancaster) and phoenix(freddie) are patients but again nothing is firmly answered
and they get into also sorts of culty hijinks and then the movie ends with joaquin phoenix on the beach again next to the sand lady sculpture
it doesnt seem like anybody actually gets cured or theres any resolution
but i have some thoughts which i have no idea are right or wrong so its probably going to just seem like gibberish but here i go

the first thought i had was that yes indeed, he has ptsd from being bullied in the navy, and the boat he randomly jumps into was somehow orchestrated to be some sort of new radical experimental therapy because joaquin is a psychosexual kleptomaniac on a path of selfdestruction

but as the film goes on i dont think that hits the nail on the head, especially with the ending

so another random thought i had to try and rationalize the film was kind of goofy and out there and it might actually be decently close to the truth but i still dont know
but i sort of thought that maybe this is just the movies attempt at almost showing a neural network thats on the fritz, freddie is sort of the id and impulsivity that our stupid animal brains most connect with on a fundamental level which is why lancaster who is at the center of the cult/metaphorical brain seems to most relate to it even as other parts of the "brain" reject it
the way the other characters in the cult display varying levels of paranoia or jealousy or critical thought ect ect made me think they represented other portions of our consciousness
the reason i kind of think this works at least in some ways is because the loving movie super mario bros 2s you at the end and makes me feel like freddie was sort of in self-healing mode after a manic episode on the beach, essentially we saw his brain attempting to repair itself and come to terms with itself after a major freakout

the only thing i can think of beyond that is going back to lancaster purporting that previous lives are at the fault of all our mental and physical health issues and maybe lancaster is freddies past self? so at the end when freddie finally parts ways with lancaster and there seems to be a resolution, thats why it cuts back to the beach because he did indeed complete the point of the cults strange therapy session

the movie is really loving weird and thats about all i can possibly pull from it myself its no freddy got fingered but its up there i really liked the movie and beyond the plot weirdness it was extremely well acted and shot and its a great looking movie its just also very dense and hard to compartmentalize

thanks for reading

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-master

it appears to be on Max for US watchers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

well poo poo lol. gonna need to think a bit before i do a full post. good pick symbolic, now to figure out what i watched

copy
Jul 26, 2007

idk if it was the movie or just me last night but it felt incredibly straight forward but im really struggling to put it together for some reason

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

idk if it was the movie or just me last night but it felt incredibly straight forward but im really struggling to put it together for some reason

100% the movie

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Jonny Greenwood score is so good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Also, lol what a final line of dialogue

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Really great film, the costumes, sets, and cinematography carry it alone. I regret not seeing this in 70mm with the original release

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Maybe I will finally read my copy of V. that has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Haven't seen any other PTA films besides this and There Will Be Blood but it's really impressive how he gets such over the top and intense performances out of the leads without it feeling forced.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Looking forward to watching this when I get back from vacation

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

got 40 more mins to watch tomorrow, my movie pick will not be this good. Sorry everyone

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
well, that pwned
looked nice, sounded great
acting pwned, story pwned, writing pwned
didnt realize it was gonna be ab a cult. its epic when u go into a movie knowing nothing and the movie turns out to be excellent and ab something interesting
The Master ftw

5/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
better than TWBB, btw

copy
Jul 26, 2007

yeah didnt know anything apart from the poster and it ruled being just as clueless about where this is going as Freddie was. i had this building sense of dread but also curiosity as the movie went on and then it was over. what a great loving movie

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I watched last night and I've been thinking about it since then. I don't think I have any skill in cinematic analysis so I'll just list some of my thoughts.

- Joaquin Phoenix is the best actor of hosed up weirdos
- Liked the soundtrack.
- The scene with Lancaster arguing with Pig gently caress was fantastic. PSH was great in all of the scenes where he's questioned slightly and goes totally nuts.
- I really enjoyed the little glimpses of genuine friendship between Freddie and Lancaster. I wonder if Freddie really could have been helped if they had a normal relationship instead of a cult thing

Overall I liked it a lot. I'm sorry to say I'd never even heard of this movie until now... it somehow flew totally under my radar. Whoever picks the next one is going to have a difficult choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok. obviously this movie kicks rear end. psh and joaquin are so fuckin good it's unbelievable and pam from the office did a great job too. its incredible that this is all just an atmosphere piece, from the beginning of their relationship you keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never does, th climax of the movie is psh singing joaquin a love song lol. i kept hopin that freddie would get fixed but you cant fix whats not broken and he doesnt think he's broken. amazing soundtrack, amazing characters, absolutely incredible acting.

★★★★