Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Last time I saw this was when it came out in 2012, I really liked it back then too but I feel like I kind of absorbed it differently this time.

I always love Jonny Greenwood's scores, he's really good at this sort of fever dream vibe and feeling of inevitability. Fits really well with this kind of story where the main character seems to get swept up into things and doesn't have a lot of agency.

Cinematography is amazing, some really great shots like the tracking shot where he's eyeing the party on the yacht in the background before he sneaks on, and that high angle shot on the warship that was in all the trailers. I love the staging in this shot so much, it's gorgeous

Seeing it a second time I picked up on some things I had missed too, I remember it being kind of disorienting the first time through. I remember thinking that Freddy was kind of a powerless character, but this time I realized that he kind of (unintentionally) kills the cult's foothold in America. Dodd has painted himself into a corner, he's surrounded by people who have bought into his bullshit so thoroughly that they behave like unemotional robots and he's realized he hates it. He's bored and restless, he feels trapped by the rules of the cult but he's the one who created them, so there's no way out without completely destroying the image he's built. He talks a lot about being rational and above the crowd, how laughter is an animal noise, etc., but when he's around Freddy he devolves completely. He's fascinated and envious of how impulsive and wild Freddy is, and it rubs off on him. He starts to get sloppy & careless, he starts having emotional outbursts and drinking Freddy's boat fuel booze. So he's distracted and probably drunk while he finishes his second book, and starts to make big obvious mistakes and poo poo starts falling apart.

Anyway I love this movie, everybody in it is amazing and it's insane that nobody won an oscar for it. 5/5 vhs tapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Last time I saw this was when it came out in 2012, I really liked it back then too but I feel like I kind of absorbed it differently this time.

I always love Jonny Greenwood's scores, he's really good at this sort of fever dream vibe and feeling of inevitability. Fits really well with this kind of story where the main character seems to get swept up into things and doesn't have a lot of agency.

Cinematography is amazing, some really great shots like the tracking shot where he's eyeing the party on the yacht in the background before he sneaks on, and that high angle shot on the warship that was in all the trailers. I love the staging in this shot so much, it's gorgeous

Seeing it a second time I picked up on some things I had missed too, I remember it being kind of disorienting the first time through. I remember thinking that Freddy was kind of a powerless character, but this time I realized that he kind of (unintentionally) kills the cult's foothold in America. Dodd has painted himself into a corner, he's surrounded by people who have bought into his bullshit so thoroughly that they behave like unemotional robots and he's realized he hates it. He's bored and restless, he feels trapped by the rules of the cult but he's the one who created them, so there's no way out without completely destroying the image he's built. He talks a lot about being rational and above the crowd, how laughter is an animal noise, etc., but when he's around Freddy he devolves completely. He's fascinated and envious of how impulsive and wild Freddy is, and it rubs off on him. He starts to get sloppy & careless, he starts having emotional outbursts and drinking Freddy's boat fuel booze. So he's distracted and probably drunk while he finishes his second book, and starts to make big obvious mistakes and poo poo starts falling apart.

Anyway I love this movie, everybody in it is amazing and it's insane that nobody won an oscar for it. 5/5 vhs tapes

i definitely dont think freddy's powerfless or at least if he is it doesnt matter, he exists outside meaningful power structures because he's a fuckin animal lol. he's a dog who only wants to get drunk and get laid, he doesnt need fixing beucase he doesnt think he's broken. if someone threatens his master he bites em. fuckin loved the scene with the master and freddy wrestling on the lawn because its 1:1 the way a normal dad in the 50s would wrestle with his golden retriever on the lawn. god, fuckin good movie, paul thomas anderson ftw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

So he's distracted and probably drunk while he finishes his second book, and starts to make big obvious mistakes and poo poo starts falling apart.

Interesting interpretation, I read that part revealed by Laura Dern as him deliberately trying to make his philosophy have more mainstream appeal. His misjudgment was in how fervently his acolytes actually believe in his quack science

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

Interesting interpretation, I read that part revealed by Laura Dern as him deliberately trying to make his philosophy have more mainstream appeal. His misjudgment was in how fervently his acolytes actually believe in his quack science

oh yeah i definitely thought it was a mistake, he doesnt fully believe his own poo poo or at least he knows on some level he's makin it up as he goes along, so he just hosed up. i wonder what the specific thng was that made him flee the states, its cool that we never know and that no one ever bothers to explain what DCF means.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Like a lot of the movie that part is pretty ambiguous, you could read his reaction to Dern as being irritated with himself for making a mistake or irritated at her for questioning him. Just seems to me like a really basic mistake esp since he repeatedly does the regression thing during the movie.

That reminds me, we only see Lancaster do hypnotic regression with women right? Just another example of him and Freddie exhibiting the same basic urges except instead of leading them through bogus treatment to sleep with women Freddie just hands them a note that says “do you want to gently caress?”

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

its cool that we never know and that no one ever bothers to explain what DCF means.

yeah I was just thinking about this specific part too. I'm assuming it's probably their version of RPF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehabilitation_Project_Force but I like that it's left ambiguous

Jenny Agutter posted:

That reminds me, we only see Lancaster do hypnotic regression with women right? Just another example of him and Freddie exhibiting the same basic urges except instead of leading them through bogus treatment to sleep with women Freddie just hands them a note that says “do you want to gently caress?”

that's a good point too, I hadn't noticed that but I think you're right

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

yeah I was just thinking about this specific part too. I'm assuming it's probably their version of RPF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehabilitation_Project_Force but I like that it's left ambiguous

that's a good point too, I hadn't noticed that but I think you're right

yup its just women and freddy. and the master obviously wants to gently caress freddy so

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

Haven't seen any other PTA films besides this and There Will Be Blood but it's really impressive how he gets such over the top and intense performances out of the leads without it feeling forced.

watch punch drunk love if you want more good stuff. it would have been among the handful of movies i'd pick for this if we hadn't started with a pt anderson.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

my personal pick list got totally owned by this movie lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

*after watching Dredd and Fury Road back to back and howling with excitement* oh what yeah no Perfect Blue was always at the top of my list

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my picks been going between speed racer and shin godzilla since sc64 mentioned movie club so i am unaffected. and will continue to be so

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
had to research my picks a bit to make sure they werent really annoying to find and i think ive got a good one

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

my picks been going between speed racer and shin godzilla since sc64 mentioned movie club so i am unaffected. and will continue to be so

wisdom

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

copy posted:

*after watching Dredd and Fury Road back to back and howling with excitement* oh what yeah no Perfect Blue was always at the top of my list

Fungah! posted:

Hell yeah

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
my pick will finally prove my intellectual superiority over everyone here

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

I got the tude now posted:

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

itll prove something bitch

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

the movie I pick will be nowhere near as good as this one and that's a promise

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

itll prove something bitch

cant wait for you to be all, "DURR I DONT GET IT WHY ARE THE SHOTS SO LONG" *pats ur lil head*

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I had a movie in mind instantly and for like 24 hours after signing up but then I thought of 2 others kind of in the same genre/style that might be better for a movie club so I’ll pick one of the three in a panic when I run out of time after getting rolled.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
finished the master. crazy good. love how freddy and the master are just crazy codependent on each other, and they both end up worse for it.

i think the idea of freddy as an unwanting animal is a lil off. i think he wants more from life, which is mostly centered on the idea of doris to him. but hes so unwilling and even incapable of change that even admitting this was a struggle, let alone actually taking meaningful steps. i think this is why he was initially drawn to the master. the master is an authority figure thats actually interesting to him, and interested in him. and the initial sessions even where hes egging the master on to do more. he really believed that whatever the master was cooking up could change him. he wastes so much time on this idea and his behavior is constantly flipping between denial at this and trying to make it work, and anger when he realizes it actually wont do anything.

i think the worst part is he eventually did build up the courage on his own, when he sped off into the desert. but he found out all the time hed spent dicking around meant that the thing he obsessed over, the person he made his ideal of normalcy, is gone now. and then at that point i think he just totally gives up. its pretty sad. i think at that point he is more like just an animal, but its because he had something human and lost it. thats how i feel.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I like when he farted, and later threatened to fart on someone's face. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I like when he farted, and later threatened to fart on someone's face. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

lol

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

finished the master. crazy good. love how freddy and the master are just crazy codependent on each other, and they both end up worse for it.

i think the idea of freddy as an unwanting animal is a lil off. i think he wants more from life, which is mostly centered on the idea of doris to him. but hes so unwilling and even incapable of change that even admitting this was a struggle, let alone actually taking meaningful steps. i think this is why he was initially drawn to the master. the master is an authority figure thats actually interesting to him, and interested in him. and the initial sessions even where hes egging the master on to do more. he really believed that whatever the master was cooking up could change him. he wastes so much time on this idea and his behavior is constantly flipping between denial at this and trying to make it work, and anger when he realizes it actually wont do anything.

i think the worst part is he eventually did build up the courage on his own, when he sped off into the desert. but he found out all the time hed spent dicking around meant that the thing he obsessed over, the person he made his ideal of normalcy, is gone now. and then at that point i think he just totally gives up. its pretty sad. i think at that point he is more like just an animal, but its because he had something human and lost it. thats how i feel.

yeah thats true i agree with that. but i think he gives up on it before he meets the master too and the master makes him think its attainable if he buys into the bullshit. he's already lost it and deep down i think he knows that, bein with the master rekindles it but then that makes him try to get that bit of humanity back which means giving up the master. whole movies about two people who just absolutely bring out the worst in each other lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Nostradingus posted:

This is the intellectual analysis we need

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I liked the family dinner where his son in law is trying to convince him that Freddie is a spy sent to sabotage the movement. I'm not sure if he said it like that because he actually believes in the cult or if he's just saying it because he knows that that's the only angle he has even a slight chance of working at getting Freddie kicked out or at least get some distance between him and Lancaster. i never had a good read on how much Clark believed in it and i never even thought about that until i started writing this post lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
clarks sorta an enigma with that and i think hes meant to be. it makes him a less clear piece than the truly invested (peggy) and the absolutely checked out (val). hes at least close enough to do that reaction thing so i have to assume he at least works at looking like he believes.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
:airquote:master:airquote:
  • surrounded by easy marks that make him feel unfulfilled
  • lame rear end family that hates him
  • laser-eyed wife ready to castrate him with a butchers knife so he cant even cheat like he wants
  • couldnt keep his freddie pet even though he tried every trick in the book
  • stuck in the united kingdom lmfao

freddie
  • skilled at beating ppl up, mixing drinks and photography means hell always find a job somewhere for a couple of months before they find out hes a psycho
  • traveling the whole world as a stowaway
  • no longer envious cause he knows he could have it much worse
  • gets to share stories ab the time he escaped a cult
  • dies from drunkedly falling overboard from some random ship in his mid 50s, had a pretty sick life until then, all things considered

100% happy ending

thanks for the epic sig el spider

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i watched this and enjoyed it, had a great.house discussion about the themes as well. some excellent insights had by all. well, goodnight

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

oh yeah, not sure if im going with a comedy or thriller for my pick. depends on what i feel like watching when my turn comes up i guess lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

the movie I pick will be nowhere near as good as this one and that's a promise

:hai:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just finished watching it, god drat what a movie. i hadn't actually seen it before, just been wanting to for a while since it's #2 on my list of PTA films to check out and i figured more people would've seen TWWB already. i'm really bad at analyzing or talking about movies but gonna try my best, haven't read anything spoilered so far so i could come to my own conclusions first

Phoenix and PSH absolutely steal the show, god-tier acting. Phoenix is quite possibly my favorite actor of all time and he nails the vibe of being competent enough to function but unhinged enough to be off-putting, so when Freddie caves into his mad dog side like during his arrest where he goes insane in his prison cell it's less par for the course and more a massive release (also read before and remembered during the movie that him destroying the toilet was purely improv and since it was a historical prison he destroyed a historical artifact lmao). i also mean mad dog rather literally cuz it always feels like PSH has him on a leash tugging him back, as exemplified during the climax where Dodd's singing to Freddie to try and subconsciously coax him back into the fold, but also naturally when Freddie attacks More and the cops in defense of Dodd. inversely, PSH makes Dodd absolutely terrifying in that when he's quiet and subtle he's well-spoken and convincing, and when he raises his voice or loses his temper he's an absolute force of nature that can shout you down and clam you up. in particularly early on i was captivated by the initial questionnaire scene where Dodd just slowly breaks Freddie and his lies down solely by repeating and barraging him with questions. that scene in particularly stood out to me, along with the framing of Dodd eating lunch outside with all his followers aside from Freddie trying to make sense of the wall, as well as him and Freddie being shown to drive opposite directions during the motorcycle scene with the latter two making me think Freddie never did truly connect with the Cause itself, only needing someone - anyone - to connect to and no matter how how far he runs, he can never escape what Dodd ingrained into him, as the final scene shows

think for a first-time viewing i'd give it roughly an 8/10 but i think going back through and being able to pay closer attention would ratchet it up even higher since it feels like there's a lot to dissect beneath the surface. absolutely need to watch more PTA if he cranks out stuff like this. godfuckindamn

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fucker posted:

:airquote:master:airquote:
  • surrounded by easy marks that make him feel unfulfilled
  • lame rear end family that hates him
  • laser-eyed wife ready to castrate him with a butchers knife so he cant even cheat like he wants
  • couldnt keep his freddie pet even though he tried every trick in the book
  • stuck in the united kingdom lmfao

freddie
  • skilled at beating ppl up, mixing drinks and photography means hell always find a job somewhere for a couple of months before they find out hes a psycho
  • traveling the whole world as a stowaway
  • no longer envious cause he knows he could have it much worse
  • gets to share stories ab the time he escaped a cult
  • dies from drunkedly falling overboard from some random ship in his mid 50s, had a pretty sick life until then, all things considered

100% happy ending

lol hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i love how much of a shitstain freddie looks in every scene, surrounded with these impeccable people