Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

https://x.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1739407652877217869?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lmao

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

watched Repo Man for my free rental. I love this movie lol

Harry Dean Stanton is perfect, half the dialogue is incredibly weird (but it's all great), and the soundtrack is one of the best ever. A perfect film

5/5 vhs tapes

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

watched collateral.

i’d never seen a michael mann movie before, only some bits and pieces of miami vice episodes on cable. the guy knows what he’s doing. in addition to his style, the film’s got an incredibly solid premise, high stakes, and every scene has its place.

in particular the relationship between jamie foxx’s character and tom cruise’s is what makes this shine. you see tom cruise being a friend, and even when it gets revealed to be a ruse, that he just visited jamie foxx’s mom to threaten her later, it’s more than that. like he still actually kind of is his friend. because he’s a contract killer and can only either make friends with other killers (risky for him) or non killers (risky for them) he’s starved for connection and legitimately making it with everyone he meets before he kills them. he’s well read and has a curated taste that’s just wasted on this solitary violent life, stuck on a rung on the criminal ladder. then there’s jamie foxx who doesn’t doesn’t have the money or prestige but is full of potential, even if he’s wasting it. tom cruise is taking pride in being an older brother figure to him even if it’s only for a night before he kills him.

i love this kind of movie, where you get all that stuff to think about the days after you watch it but it’s still all just in the text, not even moving into the subtext. the kind of mainstream movie you wish they could all be. good pick, i’m glad i watched it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah collateral was enough to make me rewatch Heat which i havent seen since high school. if there is one thing that thief, heat, and collateral shows its that michael mann really gets the most out of his setting as an additional character. those shots overlooking either the vast urban sprawl of la in collateral that our protagonists will be winding through vs the vast open fields and oceans that we see in heat to really make pacino and deniros characters feel truly isolated, and just the intense zoom ins early on of the cast to give us the backstory to each player without having to spell it out. when he hits he hits, you see his influence all over films of the last 20 years. insane that heat didn't get any awards. probably my favorite al pacino performance, he is just absolutely unhinged in this one.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Watch Manhunter next. Best hannibal movie imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

charley varrick. pretty good, solid matthau pick. liked all th actors, liked the sleazy vibe, lol tht anyone would want to have sex with walter matthau especially multiple times. the way he slowly sets up the big final faked his own death to get out of it is slick and him kissin the overalls before throwing em into the fire was nice. nothing outrageous but its a solid movie and good background noise.

★★★

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Santa

Billy Bob goes so loving hard in this. Apparently the movie was actually pitched by the Coens and they got some guys to write the script and it got rejected by paramount for being too profane to the figure of Santa Claus and the only person who agreed to produce it was Harvey Weinstein's brother.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Bad Santa

Billy Bob goes so loving hard in this. Apparently the movie was actually pitched by the Coens and they got some guys to write the script and it got rejected by paramount for being too profane to the figure of Santa Claus and the only person who agreed to produce it was Harvey Weinstein's brother.
a coens directed bad santa would be a trip

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Plutonis posted:

Bad Santa

bad santa rocks but a coen bros bad santa would've been insane to see

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

charley varrick

solid matthau outing. joe don baker was menacing af as molly. just a well built movie. i let out a ms krabappel style HAH when charley pulled the twist on molly and blew him up great pick!

3/5

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Charley Varrick

this is real fun stuff. its great seeing both the web of interests and consequences expand over the movies length but also verrick's schemes get larger and larger to compensate.

Fungah! posted:

the way he slowly sets up the big final faked his own death to get out of it is slick

i love the slow rollout of information of: all of them go to the same dentist -> police want to id his wife by her teeth -> verrick switches out the dental xrays -> the partner is set up to be killed by the hitman -> verrick fakes his own death. all of it felt natural instead of hand holding your way through the plot

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Watched High Noon for my free rental because I was disappointed in myself for missing it during its regular time. I liked it, the tension as he realizes the train is getting nearer and no one is willing to help him is so well-executed. I love the scene where the one guy willing to help him realizes that he’s the only one and backs out, making excuses the whole time.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Charley Varrick

this is real fun stuff. its great seeing both the web of interests and consequences expand over the movies length but also verrick's schemes get larger and larger to compensate.

i love the slow rollout of information of: all of them go to the same dentist -> police want to id his wife by her teeth -> verrick switches out the dental xrays -> the partner is set up to be killed by the hitman -> verrick fakes his own death. all of it felt natural instead of hand holding your way through the plot

yeh that was super slick plotting. i also really liked him givin maynard a big hug and shoutng we did it!!!! to set up the final double-cross. shows he had 100% awareness of the situation and all players motivations the whole time in a smooth way. last of the independents indeed

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Just finished Charley Varrick. A solid plot, but it really suffers from being a PG rated movie when it should have gone for an R.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNn7FdFoRAg

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

We will be getting through the rest of the wheel as much as we can to accomodate those who are left. Budd dwyer thought hasnt posted in over 6 weeks so they are off the list. This week is a special Double Feature brought to us by Plutonis and Tarranon.

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence - dir, by Nagisa Oshima
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxiqbFG_Dw

quote:

During WWII, a British colonel tries to bridge the cultural divides between a British POW and the Japanese camp commander in order to avoid bloodshed.
Terranon's Pick
This film will expire January 15th.

Come and See - dir, by Elem Klimov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaSQU-4wss

quote:

After finding an old rifle, a young boy joins the Soviet resistance movement against ruthless German forces and experiences the horrors of World War II.
Plutonis's Pick

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence can be streamed on the Criterion Channel and TCM+.

Come and See can be streamed on Youtube.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 2, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

finally an excuse to get off my rear end and watch Come and See

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

symbolic posted:

finally an excuse to get off my rear end and watch Come and See

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Both movies I’ve been meaning to watch and never got around to, let’s loving go

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
have been listening to ryuichi sakamoto's music for years but just recently found out he not only scored but acted in merry christmas mr lawrence with bowie, i couldn't believe i'd never heard of it before

pairing it with come and see is one hell of a double feature though, i think i'm definitely watching that one first

also lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

btw i think almost all of Mosfilm's catalog are on their youtube channel, not just come and see, so there's a shitload of good films there to pick up as well

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
There is no way I will watch Come and See a second time :smith:

Plutonis posted:

btw i think almost all of Mosfilm's catalog are on their youtube channel, not just come and see, so there's a shitload of good films there to pick up as well

Indeed. Russian TV often shows some classic comedies around New Year's: The Irony of Fate, Prisoner of the Caucasus (my favorite of these), The Diamond Arm, Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession, etc. They're all on YouTube.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Plutonis posted:

yo they have a bunch of Tarkovsky on here too. based

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Feeling too good about life to watch come and see :cheers:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tarranon posted:

have been listening to ryuichi sakamoto's music for years but just recently found out he not only scored but acted in merry christmas mr lawrence with bowie, i couldn't believe i'd never heard of it before

pairing it with come and see is one hell of a double feature though, i think i'm definitely watching that one first

also lol

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Come and See - dir, by Elem Klimov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaSQU-4wss

Plutonis's Pick

Come and See can be streamed on Youtube.

plutonis you motherfucker

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

Feeling too good about life to watch come and see :cheers:

same but for the opposite reason lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I already watched Come and See and don't need to watch it again

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Tom Conti, Bowie, and Sakamoto all do a great job in this. And Sakamoto's score delivers.

This movie mulls over expressions of shame and expressions of love.
We're flat out told the Japanese will commit seppuku rather than have shame over them, and then we watch a guard have to get forced into it. We learn how Yonoi lives with his own shame and survivor's guilt. We meet the defiant Celliers, standing up for himself and others, sent to the island with too small a crew on a suicide mission and living anyway.

"A Japanese soldier would never submit to being caught. He would prefer to die." "But then, I'm not a Japanese."

Yonoi becomes confused and fascinated by Celliers, but we later learn even Celliers' behavior is in response to his own guilt and shame.

That flashback scene was a shock to me as I watched. The rest of the movie was so straight forward, to be shot to another setting, another time, that far in.

I don't think it all comes together perfect, but it's an interesting journey.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Quite happy to see young Beat Takeshi in this. Of the movies covered last year, Hana-Bi stuck to me the hardest, I really loved that.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Sub-Actuality posted:

same but for the opposite reason lol

i was right in the middle

spend enough time with history and you've probably heard of some atrocity that was so banal and mustache twirlingly evil that you had a thought that it would feel hackneyed if you saw it in a film. with come and see, the surreality, the piercing focus of the camera, the blown out audio sometimes paired with hallucinogenic music, puts you in a state where by the time the nazis are systemically, ridiculously, annihilating a rural village in belarus, it's utterly devastating. it hits because it's so loving stupid, but it happened, and all the abstract surrealism you experienced before primes you to suspend disbelief that people can be this monstrous as the film commits to playing it straight for its final act. these nazis and their little plans, their little strategies for annihilating defenseless villages. these morons inflicted untold suffering on innocent people, and laughed, and took photographs of themselves doing it. you see them defeated, but it doesn't even begin to undo the misery they're responsible for.

i think that's the main thing i wanted to write about it. it's a really upsetting movie, but it manages it by being so well made. you really see that poor kid age a hundred years in a couple hours. the cinematography felt decades ahead of its time. the way the camera follows as a literal passenger or sometimes stands in for the actors reminded me a lot of children of men, would be shocked if their DP wasn't a fan. I'm looking forward to watching merry christmas mr lawrence next. Just a regular sad movie about sad people during war.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, thought it was great. Really liked Takeshi in this, he’s great portraying a kinda dim bully. It was really interesting how it showed Japan as this supposedly inflexible society where you have to kill yourself out of a sense of honor but they’re also doing poo poo like the fake execution and starving prisoners because the commander got pissy. then contrasts it with the free spirited British who are shown in flashback perpetrating their own less formal form of social control. They’re just as good at grooming their young men into being cogs in the imperialist machine. Bowie was posted in India before being sent over, he’s just as bad as any of the Japanese imprisoning him. but despite all that they’re still looking for connection with other human beings, and because of their guilt and socialization it remains just out of grasp.

Really beautiful film, glad I watched it.

elf help book posted:

We're flat out told the Japanese will commit seppuku rather than have shame over them, and then we watch a guard have to get forced into it.

that guard was a Korean collaborator, I think that was to show they weren’t as big on the code of honor even if they were very enthusiastic about beating prisoners, or maybe the director was just racist against Koreans lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gently caress i dont want to rewatch come and see lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and Come and See made for an interesting pair of companion pieces about war. Enjoyed them both but I don't think I'll watch come and see again ever, that was brutal.