Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

just finished watching it, god drat what a movie. i hadn't actually seen it before, just been wanting to for a while since it's #2 on my list of PTA films to check out and i figured more people would've seen TWWB already. i'm really bad at analyzing or talking about movies but gonna try my best, haven't read anything spoilered so far so i could come to my own conclusions first

Phoenix and PSH absolutely steal the show, god-tier acting. Phoenix is quite possibly my favorite actor of all time and he nails the vibe of being competent enough to function but unhinged enough to be off-putting, so when Freddie caves into his mad dog side like during his arrest where he goes insane in his prison cell it's less par for the course and more a massive release (also read before and remembered during the movie that him destroying the toilet was purely improv and since it was a historical prison he destroyed a historical artifact lmao). i also mean mad dog rather literally cuz it always feels like PSH has him on a leash tugging him back, as exemplified during the climax where Dodd's singing to Freddie to try and subconsciously coax him back into the fold, but also naturally when Freddie attacks More and the cops in defense of Dodd. inversely, PSH makes Dodd absolutely terrifying in that when he's quiet and subtle he's well-spoken and convincing, and when he raises his voice or loses his temper he's an absolute force of nature that can shout you down and clam you up. in particularly early on i was captivated by the initial questionnaire scene where Dodd just slowly breaks Freddie and his lies down solely by repeating and barraging him with questions. that scene in particularly stood out to me, along with the framing of Dodd eating lunch outside with all his followers aside from Freddie trying to make sense of the wall, as well as him and Freddie being shown to drive opposite directions during the motorcycle scene with the latter two making me think Freddie never did truly connect with the Cause itself, only needing someone - anyone - to connect to and no matter how how far he runs, he can never escape what Dodd ingrained into him, as the final scene shows

think for a first-time viewing i'd give it roughly an 8/10 but i think going back through and being able to pay closer attention would ratchet it up even higher since it feels like there's a lot to dissect beneath the surface. absolutely need to watch more PTA if he cranks out stuff like this. godfuckindamn

yeah it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
my favorite scene is the one with laura dern b/c she's a loving angel and if we crossed paths i would hold my breath so as not to befoul the air around her

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

my favorite scene is the one with laura dern b/c she's a loving angel and if we crossed paths i would hold my breath so as not to befoul the air around her

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

it's just that simple

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i watched these
mandy - 5/5
gamera: guardian of the universe - 3.5/5
hana-bi - 4/5
speed racer - 3/5
crank 2 - 2.5/5
high noon - 4/5
forbidden zone - 2/5
memories of murder - 4.5/5
november - 4/5
secret of nimh - 3.5/5
synecdoche, ny - 4.5/5
streets of fire - 2/5
rocky - 5/5
collateral - 4.5/5
the fifth element - 3.5/5
charley varrick - 3/5

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 30, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm mostly echoing the other folks here's love for the movie. Amazing performances and it looks amazing, even the simpler scenes are shot with love and care. While Pheonix and PSH are great I want to shout out Amy Adams too.

Loved that shot of Freddie running across the farmland when he's accused of poisoning the old man and also the shot of Freddie between the two house as he leaves Doris's house when he tells her he's shipping out and she should take her trip. The pig gently caress scene and Laura Dern scenes also rule.

"We are not animals"
*passing note that reads, "do you want to gently caress?"*

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

shoutout to whoever did the lighting, amazing stuff

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

shoutout to whoever did the lighting, amazing stuff

thanks man wasnt a big deal really

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

thanks man wasnt a big deal really

gently caress you

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

gently caress you

lol ermm alright then *backs away slowly*

few more days until the next movie :sss: kind of makes me wish we picked two movies every week but that pace might kill some people

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

starbarry clock posted:

lol ermm alright then *backs away slowly*

few more days until the next movie :sss: kind of makes me wish we picked two movies every week but that pace might kill some people
Once the next movie is picked theres always two active movies a week, one incoming one ougoing. Theres still an additional week to catch the master.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rewatched it today. Definitely top career performances from Hoffman and Phoenix. I agree that Dodd is absolutely fascinated by Freddie's wildness, I think it's because he is honestly a total rejection of Dodd's own claim that 'Man is not an animal', acting feral from time to time. Also unlike the rest of the cult, he doesn't have any loyalty to The Cause as a religion but only to Dodd himself and thus keeps by his side and defends him even though he isn't receptive to the brainwashing techniques applied to him at all.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the master ruled. psh was really one of a kind.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

the master ruled. psh was really one of a kind.

Miss seeing him in new movies fr

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
scariest mission impossible villain hands down.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

just finished. I'll try to remember to come back and do a proper review once some of my more abstract feelings solidify into something I can put into words, but here's a few scattered thoughts on things that particularly stood out to me, I don't know if any of these are really spoilers but I'll tag the whole thing in case anyone hasn't seen it yet and wants to go in blind:

1. I like that Freddie clearly does not believe or even remotely care about the actual philosophy/spiritualism of The Cause, but is still so completely under The Master's spell that he'll assault anyone criticizing the beliefs that he does not subscribe to or have any interest in.

2. Lots of really beautiful or striking shots, and I particularly liked the scene where the two jail cells are symmetrically splitting the screen in half, one with Freddie mindlessly raging and smashing things and one with The Master standing still and silent and dignified. Going to be thinking about that one a lot. There's a few shots like that where the scene is split in half, like when the exterior of the yacht is on the left side and the ocean on the right, or Freddie sprawled out on the ship's tower taking up the bottom half of the screen while all the other sailors far below on the deck throwing stuff at him take up the top half, and it was very visually arresting every time.

3. The Master's own codependency on Freddie is really interesting to me and I can't quite place it--obviously he's fascinated by someone who's like his complete antithesis and acts entirely on id instead of being stuck in this performance of a leading role, but is there more to it, does he want to fix Freddie to prove his ideas that man is more than an animal, or is he just fascinated with Freddie as he is and bringing him into the organization is just a reason to have him around?

4. I love how effective the first scene is at establishing Freddie's character and just how off and isolated he is, going from making the other sailors laugh at his antics with the sand woman to weirding them all and shuffling away awkwardly to jerk off after getting too into it.

Good pick, a lot to think about before writing a proper review. Will be chewing on this one for a while, I think.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

3. The Master's own codependency on Freddie is really interesting to me and I can't quite place it--obviously he's fascinated by someone who's like his complete antithesis and acts entirely on id instead of being stuck in this performance of a leading role, but is there more to it, does he want to fix Freddie to prove his ideas that man is more than an animal, or is he just fascinated with Freddie as he is and bringing him into the organization is just a reason to have him around?

Good pick, a lot to think about before writing a proper review. Will be chewing on this one for a while, I think.

I absolutely think it's a mix of both, I can definitely see Dodd being enamored of Freddie's madness but also wanting to cure it.

Also another later rumination. Freddie getting called on the theater with a phone was a really weird scene and unexplainable (how the gently caress Dodd knew where he was? Why would the theater staff bring him the phone?) and, thinking about it, I remembered how Freddie said his mother was in the 'Looney Bin' and how we see some of his hallucinations or thoughts like the naked women in a party, I honestly wonder how much of the movie was actually imagined by him, especially that phone call in specific.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah, I had the same thought, the scene that really made me think it was when dodd is making Freddie walk back and forth feeling the wall and the window. was freddie in a house, being watched by the members of the cult, or was he in a cell, getting frustrated at how he could escape, hearing and seeing everyone else enjoy themselves outside?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
after watching it a second time, i'm not sure the title refers to dodd despite multiple people calling him the master. peggy is the biggest deviation from the scientology tale aside from freddie himself, being so dominating of dodd privately and even wielding power over freddie during his conditioning. this occurred to me in new york when they're in the hotel room in nyc and she says, "never defend, always attack" which is a well known quote from L Ron and still the bedrock of scientology PR today. i don't think it's intended to be a complete subversion of the charismatic cult leader that dodd is based on but tied with some pretty homosexual urges from dodd helps to show that he's not the master of himself or the people around him, the people who follow are just weak enough to follow a weak man

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

We have rolled for the next pick and trying to jack off is the lucky winner! please PM me your movie pick and i will post it tomorrow.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i literally watched this movie on the weekend so now i can make everyone else watch it lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Our next film...

MALCOLM dir. by Nadia Tess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffDBsSgS5Q

quote:

Malcolm is a chronically shy mechanical genius who has just been fired for building his own tram. He gets Frank, who has just been released from jail, to move in to help pay the bills. Malcolm, with Frank's help, turns to a life of crime.

The deadline for this film is July 31.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Malcolm is legally available in the US thanks to archive.org

https://archive.org/details/malcolm-1986

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lets go

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Keep picking movies with short titles so I can add both to the thread subject

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
since its 2 movies always on a weekly rotation you could prob save characters by just listing them in order. the first ones always gonna rotate out on the next monday and the second is gonna rotate a week after

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lol this sounds kick rear end im excited got some shizz going on this week but maybe sunday ill hop on this

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Keep picking movies with short titles so I can add both to the thread subject

adding the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford to my picklist

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This sounds awesome

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Australian movie lets loving go

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

adding the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford to my picklist

If the person after you picks Don’t Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood, I will buy this website just to permaban them

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fargield posted:

Australian movie lets loving go

i bet on the adventures of priscilla queen of the desert and lost
happy that i did though because ive seen that and not malcolm

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our next film...

this looks hella neat

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i almost made this joke but then iwas like, 'wait maybe i should pick that'

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our next film...

never seen it, looks fun

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

i almost made this joke but then iwas like, 'wait maybe i should pick that'

lol yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

herculon posted:

If the person after you picks Don’t Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood, I will buy this website just to permaban them

good pull