Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

cool idea

watched list
The Master 4.5/5: excellent acting and screenplay. extremely good at setting a mood and atmospher
Malcolm: 3/5: pretty fun comedy that doesn't overstay its welcome. very kickass soundtrack. the final heist takes this from a 3 to a 4 for me
House: 4/5: really visually interesting but too weird to be scary. def glad to have seen it and see the common evolutionary ancestor between Grudge and Wes Anderson movies. updating this to a 4 because i like this movie more now that ive had time to think about it
Speed Racer: 4.5/5: gave myself the night to think about it and i still really liked this movie. incredibly fun, super stylized, and the racer family form a simple but very well executed emotional core for the film. no business being as good or well made as it was lol. young speed was kinda meh but they never really return to that after the intro.
High Noon: 4/5. really good western. john wayne was completely right on his read of the townspeople, but that made the movie interesting and cool. the different reactions were amazing, starting with the deputy trying to negotiate with him and ending with the one guy who shows up and then is mad at gary cooper because he feels guilty. really fun film over all and one i prob wouldnt have thought to watch without the movie club rec.
synecdoche, new york: 4.5/5 this owned and kinda hosed me up a little bit lol. for some reason it felt like the movie version of when one of those paintings that's a portrait from far away but if you look close you see that its actually a hundred small faces. still kind of struck by it all.
Bacurau: 3.5/5 really cool but too loving long. desperately needed to take like a half hour off this movie. But once it got going it was a lot of fun that imo made up for the drag at the beginning. the townsfolk killing the murder tourists back owned. i was shouting at the screen when lunga grabbed the machete. was kinda interested with the music direction from the beginning of the film with the title music and then the funeral march but the rest of it didn't really land or felt weird like the synthwave capoeira jogo lol.
Rocky: 5/5 this movie's the best. I dont think i've ever actually watched it before, or if i did i was so young i don't even remember it. love his entire little world. rocky shouting at his bathroom door about how much he needed mick/anybody ten years ago was loving powerful lol. and then the end of the movie where everything is just drowned out noise as they announce the winner of the fight and all that you can clearly discern is rocky ignoring the reporters to yell for adrian. gently caress man this owned
Collateral: 4/5. This poo poo ruled. super tense the whole time. excellent performances from Foxx and Cruise. Felt a little goofy with Vincent's death right at the end but apart from that stellar loving flick. Like i get what they were going for but after all the intensity of everything from the night club on it just felt almost almost comical to end like that.
5th element: 4/5. I forgot how funny this movie was. Really dug the way it cuts between different scenes in a few parts (zorg trading with the pirates and also the bits where the president is listening to Ruby's broadcast). Fun and weird movie. Def agree with Fucker's assessment that it feels like a live action cartoon

copy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

getting my hunter license so i can access the forbidden zones where the cool movies are

copy
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XTfu52VX6w&t=56s

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

Made it through Enter the Dragon and the following hour after it ends without making Kung fu poses and sound effects at your pets or furniture, etc.

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

just started it. lol'ing nervously. cats seem really interested in it too

copy
Jul 26, 2007

and immediately becomes super serious

copy
Jul 26, 2007

not quite sure what happened or how I feel about it but overall I think this movie was really cool. gonna take some more time to digest and maybe rewatch

copy
Jul 26, 2007

idk if it was the movie or just me last night but it felt incredibly straight forward but im really struggling to put it together for some reason

copy
Jul 26, 2007

yeah didnt know anything apart from the poster and it ruled being just as clueless about where this is going as Freddie was. i had this building sense of dread but also curiosity as the movie went on and then it was over. what a great loving movie

copy
Jul 26, 2007

my personal pick list got totally owned by this movie lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

*after watching Dredd and Fury Road back to back and howling with excitement* oh what yeah no Perfect Blue was always at the top of my list

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

my picks been going between speed racer and shin godzilla since sc64 mentioned movie club so i am unaffected. and will continue to be so

wisdom

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I like when he farted, and later threatened to fart on someone's face. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I liked the family dinner where his son in law is trying to convince him that Freddie is a spy sent to sabotage the movement. I'm not sure if he said it like that because he actually believes in the cult or if he's just saying it because he knows that that's the only angle he has even a slight chance of working at getting Freddie kicked out or at least get some distance between him and Lancaster. i never had a good read on how much Clark believed in it and i never even thought about that until i started writing this post lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

copy
Jul 26, 2007

holy poo poo the heist at the end

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao great pick

copy
Jul 26, 2007

the music when theyre maneuvering the ash trays was amazing

copy
Jul 26, 2007

like 7 minutes into house and the editing/framing in this is really interestng so far. like the scene where they filmed it behind the glass panels seems like they were going for osmething cool but im not sure if it landed or not. will need to think more on it

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol this poo poo's wild

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol house was a wild rear end ride. 3/5 glad i watched it but too weird to be scary

copy
Jul 26, 2007

that can be true. it felt like a wes anderson movie which was interesting

copy
Jul 26, 2007

liking house more as I ruminate on it. it feels like a lot of stuff was inspired by it and the capriciousness of the ghost is played in a really interesting way.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

whew just wrapp[ed up all five seasons. he sure is a curmudgeon! XD

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

it happened again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE&t=12s

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

ok watchin chucks BULLSHIT picks after i read dandadan

dandadan is p drat good, this week was decent too

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

*points to calendar sitting next to wood plank and knife*

i was worried we wouldnt get any use of that with supper mario broth on hiatus

copy
Jul 26, 2007

copy
Jul 26, 2007

still remember "more like non-jas" after john goodman just tosses them out the window. hype as hell for this one lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol its like watching killer whale play with a seal jesus. this movie is better than i remember it being and i remember loving it

copy
Jul 26, 2007

gave myself the night to think about it and i still really liked this movie. incredibly fun, super stylized, and the racer family form a simple but very well executed emotional core for the film. no business being as good or well made as it was lol. young speed was kinda meh but they never really return to that after the intro.

4/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

agreed though, the young speed stuff in particular is the weakest part of the movie. i liked trixie beating up that jackass younger girl though nd the bomb was cool, and the way it was intercut with the race was really well done. idk if i had one real complaint it feels like theres about ten minutes that could be cut over the whole thing, but hell, its no big deal

lol texted a friend of mine that thats how she was introd and it ruled. also the part where young speed is imagining a race some of the hand drawn opponents are people he faces as an adult. like there's clearly a snake oiler guy in there

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

Recently got to show the wife Speed Racer, and while she liked it, she managed to one up me by showing me Redline, which I hadn't seen before.

herculon posted:

Redline rules

copy
Jul 26, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

awesome interaction of cinema

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

nonjas wasnt doin it for me the first time i watched until he started talkin about the general decline in quality of the ninja lol

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol sick

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fucker posted:

lol drat gonna have to pull off the Shopping List Review™ for speed racer here cause theres way too much i wanna say

-mostly good cgi and visual style trying to imitate the original show, but theres some exceptions that are unbelievably ugly and i cant believe they made it in. there has to be a limit to "its fake looking on purpose"
-the frenetic transitions they do btw shots w/ a lot of them having ppl talking pwn. idk if thats from the show or what but it was sick
-the comedy was good. childish at times natch but always earnest
-john goodman and susan sarandon were so good as the parents and carried the acting part hard along w/ the ceo guy, which i now googled and he was in game of thrones wtf
-this was back when the wachowskis still knew how to direct action scenes, or had whatever coordinator knew how to do it w/ them
-ngl the biggest flaw of this movie is that some of the racing does way too much poo poo and goes overblown w/ the cgi. i had to go rewatch some scenes multiple times to figure out wtf was going on <.< not surprised this bombed in the cinema at all and id probably like it way less if i watched it there
-the twist where it turned out x man wasnt actually rex was one of my favorite parts of the movie and i was smiling ear to ear. i was so fkn pissed when they did the plastic surgeon bs at the end
-the ending part of the last race was epic and gave me goosebumps Lol

every1 always talks this movie up as an underrated classic and i was certain i was gonna pull the ttjo manuever and be the one guy that hates it, but nope, this was good. easily the best anime adaptation ive ever seen. ten times better than matrix 2 and 3 combined. im gonna spend an hour looking up what they adapted and it look like in the actual show now. the monkey must be from there cause theres no way hed be in the movie otherwise
4/5

i dont know if they directly lifted too much apart from the cast from the original tv show but there's a lot of like nods to stuff from the show. Like the guy with the cockney gang is driving a car that reminded me of the Mammoth Car from eps 7 and 8 and the final leg of the big rally race was a reference to the great alpine race episode (which also featured snake oiler i think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

so badass lol