Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

STONE COLD 64 posted:

hoffman must have hung out with him a lot

:zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fucker posted:

u should join the club and do some reviews and such. i want to see what hosed up movies u suggest

:cheers: this one's been on my list for so long and i've also been wanting to check off the rest of the PSH films i never got around to. saw this last night, slept on it. resisting the urge to read up on everything that's been said on it to get my thoughts out first

the dark comedy and stilted dialog with the various doctors and therapist made me think of the lobster and killing of a sacred deer, although very quickly i think the film's, idk how to put it, deliberate artifice and emphasis on symbols surpassed Yorgos' style. i was dimly aware of the premise and was surprised at the surreal elements i'd have assumed would come later during the warehouse scenes, like hazel buying a house on fire or sammy clearly stalking caden, showing up so quickly. the result for me is that once the play started, it wasn't so much a descent into madness like i thought it'd be. the world was already so strange. instead its just kinda sad how little a difference it makes once caden assumes some kind of control

philip seymour hoffman is loving great in this start to finish. the way he listlessly reads the news or makes alarming statements about his health to his disinterested wife is painful you gotta lol. he's an accomplished director but is near entirely passive, like he only has things happen to him, sometimes he tries to react to them. his health is out of his control and spiraling, his wife calls him an artistic chump and leaves him. he gets a ton of money to try to prove her wrong but all he ends up doing is creating the same problems over and over again. my ultimate sense of him is he feels that he must create, and is also trying to create a world where there is a version of himself that he could stand, and that could be loved by the world around him. but because he will always try to fulfill his role, and because of his fundamental flaws, the process is repeated in increasingly distorted ways until he is pushed out of his own life, and ultimately out of control of his own actions as he is finally directed at the end. i really liked how the set and cast unraveled along with him. the ending was really haunting.

there's a lot about women and his transformation into ellen that i think i'll have to wait for a rewatch to have more of an opinion on. i feel like i should also really get around to muhlolland drive, i bet the films have a couple things in common

great pick

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
been a long week so i thought rocky would be a good friday movie. was really surprised at how few the finer details of the original have seeped into pop culture. came in under the impression it would feel like a classic foundational sports movie and instead got something that felt more like ashita no joe at the end and like fucker says a drama inbetween. seeing everyone glued to their tvs to watch the pre-fight interviews and match was an odd reminder at how far boxing seems to have fallen out as a spectator sport. i think i know more people that box irl than people that enjoy watching fights. maybe mma just took their audiences?

but back to movie, the casting ruled, i love the variety of character faces you get in 70s movies. rocky and adrian being so strange was great.

four coconuts out of five, and a yo-yo doing the trick entitled 'around the world' in honor of the world heavy wieght championship belt that rocky fought so honorably to win

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Spoderman posted:

yeah, boxing hit a major peak when tv first came out. because early tv broadcasts were all live and even switching between cameras was tough for a short while, boxing was uniquely primed for televising. since it’s a small ring and just two guys you can put a camera in one spot, see what’s going on for yourself the whole time. and everybody people having tiny blurry low res black and white tvs where you could barely make out a ball, boxing was tv’s best and most legible sport until instant replay came out. instant replay wasn’t popularized until jfk’s funeral broadcast in 1963. the army-navy game that year took it and ran and football started to become the tv sport it is today.

but even after that boxing still had some of that juice in 77 because it was still exciting and tastes don’t change quite that quickly. plus the sport was still riding the wave that was mohammed ali. take into account that in 1977 there are only three real networks, and on top of that the average american watched like 6 hours of tv a day. you’re just gonna pick up so many eyes. another world.

pay-per-view was probably the biggest factor that killed boxing and it was still pretty experimental in 1977. because with ppv you have to have cable and shell out big bucks every time you want to see a big fight. each ppv (and to the same effect, HBO) match makes huge money that the promoters get addicted to but you never gain new fans that way and you fatigue your existing ones. boxing was already a shell of its former self by the time mma took off

that makes a ton of sense, thanks for the history :hai:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

elf help book posted:

Collateral

very good

foxx is so immediately likeable in this role. i really enjoyed the slow start just following him around on the job, and the music flipping around to show the passage of time

its so fun to follow these two characters. i thought ruffalo and his whole plot thread was a complete dud and just constantly wanted to get back to foxx and cruise, but thats not enough to detract from the movie at all, and of course even if you feel that way, well you get to enjoy ruffalos shocking end

weird thing to call out but the gun shots are so loud compared to the rest of the movie, it makes them really shocking in a way thats appropriate

in the moment i thought that was corny, 'of course hes in trouble you dont need to spell that out' but thinking it back afterwards yeah its saying what woulda happened to him if he never learned the truth at all, which is very cool

i like the way you get a sense that jamie's max is a genuine and competent guy right out the gate but circumstances and his passive nature have pushed him into living a lie. and then the rest of the movie he plays off vincent whose suave and decisive nature mask a man who doesn't have the backbone to believe in anything. having just recently finished a mission impossible rewatch it was a ton of fun to see tom cruise play such a ruthless villain.

never knew this was a Mann film. the story and the way its paced is definitely a bit crazier than what i'm used to coming from him but the focus on the two leads helps it feel weightier than it would otherwise. need to catch more of his stuff they've been great so far.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
have been listening to ryuichi sakamoto's music for years but just recently found out he not only scored but acted in merry christmas mr lawrence with bowie, i couldn't believe i'd never heard of it before

pairing it with come and see is one hell of a double feature though, i think i'm definitely watching that one first

also lol

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Sub-Actuality posted:

same but for the opposite reason lol

i was right in the middle

spend enough time with history and you've probably heard of some atrocity that was so banal and mustache twirlingly evil that you had a thought that it would feel hackneyed if you saw it in a film. with come and see, the surreality, the piercing focus of the camera, the blown out audio sometimes paired with hallucinogenic music, puts you in a state where by the time the nazis are systemically, ridiculously, annihilating a rural village in belarus, it's utterly devastating. it hits because it's so loving stupid, but it happened, and all the abstract surrealism you experienced before primes you to suspend disbelief that people can be this monstrous as the film commits to playing it straight for its final act. these nazis and their little plans, their little strategies for annihilating defenseless villages. these morons inflicted untold suffering on innocent people, and laughed, and took photographs of themselves doing it. you see them defeated, but it doesn't even begin to undo the misery they're responsible for.

i think that's the main thing i wanted to write about it. it's a really upsetting movie, but it manages it by being so well made. you really see that poor kid age a hundred years in a couple hours. the cinematography felt decades ahead of its time. the way the camera follows as a literal passenger or sometimes stands in for the actors reminded me a lot of children of men, would be shocked if their DP wasn't a fan. I'm looking forward to watching merry christmas mr lawrence next. Just a regular sad movie about sad people during war.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
merry christmas, mr lawrence

great film, the opening song sets the tone perfectly. coming in i had the most interest in seeing bowie and sakamoto's performances but i was really charmed by takeshi and conti too. conti in particular with his eyes and constant regretful smile really sells you on the melodrama. i haven't seen much of anything else they've been involved in but hanabi is going to the top of my watchlist. their Lawrence and Hara and the way they struggle together and against each other provide more grounded drama, especially as a stand in for the broader tragedy of how every soldier in war will face killing people that they could come to love under normal circumstances

meanwhile Celliers and Yonoi are like spirits haunting the other. shells of their former selves, driven entirely by shame and regret, they throw themselves entirely into the war to self-immolate. you get to see Celliers' past play out in some cool, surreal flashbacks but reading more about the February 26 incident helped me understand Yonoi more as well.

agree with pretty much everything people have written below, love the way the film juxtaposes the two cultures and shows both sides perspectives are incoherent, how their societies are ultimately interested in using ideology and concepts of honor and duty to enforce control and make men willing to destroy their spirits committing violence against one another. i knew going in the film would have gay subtext (loading it up on criterion showed that it is part of the 'homoeroticism for the holidays' collection, a status it only shares with an 11 minute short called wren boys??) but right from the beginning it's front and center with Kanemoto and De Jong. It wasn't subtitled but I think Kanemoto tells De Jong he loves him in Japanese during his execution? There's Lawrence and Hara's frank discussion on homosexuality in the military. and then of course celliers and yonoi. their relationship definitely scans as romantic but i think the film is ultimately interested in yonoi's inability to accept cellier's willingness to put down the sword for the sake of his fellow man. when he walks forward during the parade scene and kisses yonoi on both cheeks, he imitates judas but becomes a christ like figure, dying to save his fellow prisoners and, per the epilogue, yonoi's spirit too.

like machetezombie said, interesting companion to come and see. it's the brutal horror of war, this is the tragedy of it.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
looking forward to watership down next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
turning in joint security area late - song kang-ho is fantastic in this. love the makeup they did with his eye. lots of cheeky shots and transitions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)