Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I love watching movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Great pick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Jonny Greenwood score is so good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Also, lol what a final line of dialogue

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

So he's distracted and probably drunk while he finishes his second book, and starts to make big obvious mistakes and poo poo starts falling apart.

Interesting interpretation, I read that part revealed by Laura Dern as him deliberately trying to make his philosophy have more mainstream appeal. His misjudgment was in how fervently his acolytes actually believe in his quack science

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Like a lot of the movie that part is pretty ambiguous, you could read his reaction to Dern as being irritated with himself for making a mistake or irritated at her for questioning him. Just seems to me like a really basic mistake esp since he repeatedly does the regression thing during the movie.

That reminds me, we only see Lancaster do hypnotic regression with women right? Just another example of him and Freddie exhibiting the same basic urges except instead of leading them through bogus treatment to sleep with women Freddie just hands them a note that says “do you want to gently caress?”

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Malcolm was a lot of fun, the heists were cute and the relations between the characters were a good balance of sweet and tense. Even at 90 minutes there were some extraneous scenes but it’s impressive what they did on a relatively small budget so I don’t begrudge not having another big set piece.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Oh yeah the soundtrack kicked rear end, just the perfect music for this type of film

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the only thing i remember about this film was the girl's head biting another girl on the rear end so i'm excited to do a rewatch and hopefully retain some more

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Just watched the wrong guy and agreeing with the posts above, I love a dumb comedy that is actually full of jokes even if some of them don’t land. Got the most laughs out of the small town banker and his rival

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nice, Pale Flower is really cool. Never heard of sword of doom but that synopsis sounds great

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Love an excuse to rewatch Mandy. For anyone who hasn’t watched it, their is a brief post credits scene

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

got around to watching Sword of Doom, i thought it was pretty cool. there were some incredibly good shots, thinking particularly of the first scene with the governess and omatsu, and the shot at the snowy camp with the camera moving behind all these wooden slats. and then of course everything about the ending, what a fantastic scene.

pretty cool that it was centered around a completely unredeemed villain. every time there's a choice presented, he does the worst thing. it definitely felt like its entire 2 hour length, there was a bit of meandering in the middle that could have been cut, but maybe it was worth it to see all of these character's lives slowly building up to one big confrontation only to not even give the audience that catharsis lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Rewatched Mandy, this is probably the sixth time I’ve seen it. Gets funnier every time, so many jokes in this movie. I think the one that stuck out to me this time was Nic Cage looking around for a light as a car is completely burning behind him, deciding to loght up on a burning decapitated head. Fifteen minutes later he pulls a zippo out of his pocket.

Besides the humor I love the look of the film, the constantly changing lighting is sick. Love all the characters, each is distinct even though everyone talks insanely slowly. If I have one criticism it’s that it doesn’t need to be 2 hours long, they probably could have cut some of the really long shots and not lost much. Not the bathroom freak out though, that scene owns

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That’s sick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watched Gamera last night after a couple Frozen Margaritas and almost fell asleep, which was perfect because it reminded me of sleepovers as a kid when i would rent a godzilla film and make my friends watch them. Gamera was pretty formulaic as far as kaiju movies go, yoiu've got the mysterious ocurrences and disappearing people, the character with a mysterious connection to the monster, military and scientists butting heads. the only thing that really stnads out to me is Gamera's fireballs loving exploding anything they hit, usually the hero kaiju has to struggle a bit more. i'd rate this one below the other gamera movie I remember seein, Gamera vs. Jiger, which had a more interesting setup and plot

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Le Samourai is about as cool as it is possible for a movie to be, nice pick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

herculon posted:

Redline rules

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watched Hana-bi, I see why everyone is so big on Beat Takeshi now. it was funny and tragic, if a little hard to believe that a cop that violent would be so tender with his wife. really loved the painter character, watching him go from suicidal to gradually growing into his art, it was a really good performance. good movie club pick!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Speed racer, first time I’ve seen it. Maybe I’m getting old but a lot of the racing was completely incomprehensible , the tracks distorting weirdly, cars jumping all over and bouncing off each other like beyblades, it was too much to keep track of. The ending of the big final race was hilariously overindulgent, like you could just watch that five minutes and get the entire plot of the movie. And a lot of the kid/monkey humor might have been sincere but was still just eye rolling dumb. That all being said there’s a lot of good in the film. The set and production design is outstanding, good performances from all of the leads, some really bizarre and memorable lines. And there are some really beautiful shots, like the one with the truck posted upthread. Kudos to the cast and set decorators but enough scenes look like poo poo (basically anything in the bad guy’s skyscraper) that I’m going to call this a bad movie on balance. Glad movie club got me to finally watch it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Crank High Voltage, i've seen Crank so I'm familiar with the lore but still appreciated all the flashbacks to remind us of what happened in the first one. this is incredible filmmaking, Michael Bay wishes he could have a camera so disconnected from physics and linear time. the running scenes are amazing, i couldn't say if Chev was supposed to be runnning 5 miles or 50 feet btu he sure was running. lots of great gags and lots of terrible ones, i was partial to the guy getting therapy and the kaiju fight.

its kind of an incredible feat that they managed to make a 90-minute movie with maybe half a second of downtime in the entire thing. a lot of the scenes were just awful but you can't say Taylor and Neveldine weren't trying as hard as possible. i couldn't help but enjoy how enthusiastic the film feels, clearly made by people who first and foremost love film and set out to prove you can make something wild with a relatively small budget

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fungah! posted:

yeah, i'm thinkin i'm mad!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i'll be watching this regardless

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

High Noon was pretty sick, it really got me feeling rly anxious as the clock ticked down in near real time. wonderful soundtrack, the segment where it matches up with all the clocks was really great. it really does feel like an early revisionist western with this sheriff having everyone turn their back on him, and he doesn't even really have a good explanation why he won't just leave town even though its clearly the best option for everyone involved. maybe he really does just enjoy the violence. really glad this was picked, I would have never watched it otherwise.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tommy was wild, don't know what to say about it that hasn't been said. not usually into musicals and this one didn't really change my mind, but hey i respect a movie that goes balls out with production design like that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Memories of murder owns, stoked for a rewatch

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

November was cool! I’m a sucker for that intensely contrasty b&w. Also a big fan of collisions between folk traditions/paganism and Christianity, it was great how all these conniving villagers just used the church for whatever material ends because they’re just trying to make it through the winter. Really good fairy tale movie.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

justwatch pointed me to this site i didnt know about (but i didnt end up using it) https://www.kanopy.com/en it lets you stream movies for free with your library card have any of you used it before

Yeah I use it frequently, not every library subscribes to it and it’s generally smaller library systems that do because apparently it’s really expensive for the libraries, like $1 per stream. So you only get a set number of streams/month. Also the selection varies per library system so not everything that shows up on justwatch will be available even if you do generally have access. But it’s a great service if you can get it, lots of independent films show up there, tons of documentaries and educational films, and they have a selection of older films that’s better than most streaming services. And there’s a lot of animated short films for some reason, those are always fun to check out.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh hell yeah, i've always meant to watch this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Secret of NIMH, haven’t seen this in like 20 years. When I was a kid my favorite movie was All Dogs Go to Heaven so I’m a Bluth fan, and the animation in nimh is great. Lots of little details in the world happening around the characters, and some show off sequences like the soap bubbles, there was a lot of care put into it. Did a great job of making the world as threatening as it should be drom a mouse’s perspective .

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

drat

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I also have it available through Hoopla, through my library, so that’s another option

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Holy poo poo lol that was going to be my pick! I watched Bacurau on a pre-release with a QnA from the director and some of the actors because it was filmed on my state and I really liked it and had a good time talking with the actor who plays the outlaw that helps the villagers kill the hunters It's a good rear end movie, rewatched it earlier this year too, but might do it a third time.

lol I think I first saw it based on your recommendation in phiz, now I feel bad for stealing your pick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I really really like Synecdoche, NY even though its pretty brutal watching this man fall apart physically. it reminded me a little of Barton Fink where there's this artist trying to make something "real" but he's so removed from the world that it's just impossible, here with PSH ignoring that the world outside the warehouse has basically ended, like he even knows that something like 99% of the population has died but it has no bearing on his work. also he's so miserable all the time that he seems to think that's the sum totality of human existence, as seen when every single note he gives to the actors is some negative experience, even though people around him are often having nice life experiences. he's always focused on poo poo, often literally.

too many good jokes to list here but I laughed hardest at "I think it was smoke inhalation" and also his father's tiny casket

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

the man is so disconnected from his family that he needed to read his daughters diary to find out that a little girl likes the color pink

lmfao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lmfao Michelle Williams revealing a full back tattoo and he just throws up his hands "well, I've never seen that before"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sat down and watched my pick Bacurau. On rewatch its fun picking out all the foreshadowing like the screen wipe when the teacher pulls down the old map of Bacurau, leading right into the introduction of the mayor who pulls up with a couple caskets in his truck. I think the reason this movie really stuck with me is because its a really modern western, you've got the townspeople threatened by outlaws, the local toughs, but now they've got video compilations and one of the outsiders is a fuckin gun bae youtuber. and at the end they're all taking phone photos of the dead mercenaries. i also like its use of out of style filmmaking techniques like screen wipes and split diopter shots, which makes it feel even more like an old western. didn't catch the Carpenter references the first time I watched it so thanks for bringing that up Plutonis. its obvious the filmmakers had a lot of love for the subjects, leading to its deliberate pacing, but I really enjoyed the villagers interactions. their trust and respect for each other was a great contrast to the patronizing mayor, who is an all-timer cinematic slimeball.
some random thoughts

loved taht the ufo/drone first appears dipping into the frame like an errant boom mic

the southern Brazilians come off as bigger rubes than the Bacarauans

udo kier is great and his entrance is sick, also i was laughing at the end when he dopily sticks the gun in his mouth

the interior of the mercenaries base looks like the inside of the house in Thirst

the reveal of the missing guns in the museum is so sick

was laughing at the guy wearing tactical oakleys and a backwards ballcap talking about how he was going to shoot up his ex-wife and a mall but god told him not to. seemed like a direct response to that badass mercenary guy photo from years back

still like this movie a lot!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Streets of Fire was one of the dumbest movies I’ve ever seen but I had a dumb smile on my face for a lot of it. Script and acting was pretty dire but there was definitely some cool direction/editing and some laughs that had to have been intentional. As mentioned the soundtrack is killer. Pretty cool pick! Oh yeah and the cold open is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

When I was a teen I thought the scene where audioslave is playing and they stop for a coyote was loving cool, and hell,