Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I don't watch movies as much as I used to, so this might be a good way to get me back in.

My ratings:
- The Master ****
- Malcolm ***
- House: my pick
- The Wrong Guy *** 1/2
- Pale Flower ****
- Gamera: Guardian of the Universe ****
- Mandy * 1/2

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I watched last night and I've been thinking about it since then. I don't think I have any skill in cinematic analysis so I'll just list some of my thoughts.

- Joaquin Phoenix is the best actor of hosed up weirdos
- Liked the soundtrack.
- The scene with Lancaster arguing with Pig gently caress was fantastic. PSH was great in all of the scenes where he's questioned slightly and goes totally nuts.
- I really enjoyed the little glimpses of genuine friendship between Freddie and Lancaster. I wonder if Freddie really could have been helped if they had a normal relationship instead of a cult thing

Overall I liked it a lot. I'm sorry to say I'd never even heard of this movie until now... it somehow flew totally under my radar. Whoever picks the next one is going to have a difficult choice.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I like when he farted, and later threatened to fart on someone's face. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Still haven't seen Malcolm since I've been out of town. Hope I'll be able to get to it Tuesday.

Feeling slightly anxious about my pick. The first two were really interesting pulls and I want to keep that standard.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah I didn't want to say too much until people had a chance to watch, but I love this movie for how incredibly weird it is. I know it won't be for everyone, but I enjoy how it addresses all of the haunted house tropes in a really wacky way

e: spoiler out of an abundance of caution

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Finally got around to watching Malcolm. It definitely feels like a director's first attempt... It's a little disjointed and has some awkward cuts and unnecessary scenes.

I like the concept a lot, though I wish we got to see more of an odd couple friendship between Malcolm and Frank. The gadgets were cool. I want to build that mobile mailbox for my own place...

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It's Sub-Actuality's turn! Shoot me a message with your pick and we'll announce it monday.

Looking forward to watching Stop Making Sense again

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Cool. Never seen this but I love Dave Foley

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm really pleased that so many people seem to have enjoyed House. (Or that the people who hated it didn't post.) It's one of my favorite movies ever so I'm glad I could introduce some imps to it. Blockbuster Movie Club ftw

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

wots the new movie kagaya.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Finally saw Pale Flower.

One scene that really stuck out was the bowling alley fight at the beginning with the elegant music playing over it. Kind of set the tone of the Yakuza life in general: ugly poo poo happening but with a glamorous veneer. And then of course echoed by the opera music at the end as Muraki moiders his guy in full view of everyone. Thought maybe it was a bit long but overall I enjoyed it!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Gamera: I love Kaiju movies and this one is great. Gamera is cool, his rocket rear end is funny, and I laughed every time one of the Gyaos got obliterated. Might have to watch the rest of the Gamera movies later.

Mandy: I didn't like this one at all lol. Thought the lighting was annoying, the soundtrack was mostly just noise and didn't contribute anything, and it really dragged, especially at the beginning. Nic Cage was ok but didn't really do much. My wife said it felt like a psychedelic movie made by people who hate psychedelic movies.

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 26, 2023

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Something I noticed about Hana-bi was how Japanese movies seem to be a lot quieter than American ones, both tonally and literally. It had a typically excellent Joe Hisaishi soundtrack but there was a lot of time with no music at all, or any sound really. Makes the movie feel kinda lonely

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

herculon posted:

John Wayne called it the most unAmerican movie ever made. Hope you enjoy it more than he did.

It's gotta be good then

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

High Noon: I think a lot of movies from this movie are paced badly, especially westerns, but the near-real time aspect of this one kept it moving at a decent clip.

I loved the clock montage that ends with the train whistle. Also very much appreciated Helen Ramirez just selling her shop and loving off at the first sign of trouble. I agree that we should have seen Frank Miller being villainous somehow. Anyway John Wayne hated it so 5/5

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Leadthumb posted:

High noon was so good wtf. Never would have watched it in a million years, I'm so stupid.

I feel you. There's a lot of really lovely Westerns and it's easy to dismiss the genre entirely but High Noon was really good

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

herculon posted:

Pick a new movie already

if only to get Forbidden Zone out of the thread title

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yo Adrian!!! (just a little inside humor, iykyk ;))

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I actually saw Rocky for the first time earlier this year, but rewatched anyway. It's really a masterpiece and probably the most American movie ever: a huge moron succeeds through sheer will and brute force. Paulie is probably the highlight of the movie for me, he's such a prick but he's loveable about it somehow. Burgess Meredith is perfectly cast here as well. It's a classic movie for a reason.

Rocky's taste in fashion is hosed up.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Walter Matthau ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fifth element: The first half is almost perfect, just a stupid sci fi romp with good comedy and just enough of a plot to keep things moving along. Then Ruby Rhod shows up and the rest of the movie is just Chris Tucker screaming. I completely checked out after that, could not stand it at all. So I guess 5/5 first half, 1/5 second half averages out to 3 stars.