Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
colonel im in

watched:
the master 9/10 a mess of a film which poses more questions than it provides answers but its brilliantly shot and acted and scored

malcom 5/10 but i think its worth watching as a fun little novelty because that 5 goes a long way

house (1977) 10/10 inspired visual effects on what looks like a shoestring budget and strong characters drive an off-kilter yet approachable story that has laughs light chills and plenty of craziness

the wrong guy 8/10 great comedy starring dave foley of kids in the hall with solid jokes peppered judiciously throughout but a few lulls that make you pine for the next scene especially near the beginning of the third act but turns it around to end on a good note

pale flower 9/10 a tragic film where everything goes right in the film-making but nothing goes right in the story

the sword of doom 9/10 a tragic film where everything goes right in the film-making but nothing goes right in the story until the very end

mandy 6/10 ive never been so conflicted about a movie in a long time what starts off as solid horror fare quickly spirals into... something else. this movie is something else

gamera guardian of the universe 10/10 really epic moments strung together by some solid b story human plots makes this a badass kaiju movie, i applauded a giant turtle

le samourai 9/10 amazingly acted and decently well paced with some good nuance behind seemingly innocuous things that just builds on the intrigue with payoffs down the road

hana-bi 8.5/10 a lot like the master in terms of inflicting me with extreme amounts of confusion but a really impactful film that hit me in different ways that overall i enjoyed despite feeling almost completely lost during most of the movie

speed racer 8/10 a few things drag down an otherwise exhilarating experience that i really enjoyed the races are crazy and the cinematography is in overdrive to keep up with the action and hardly misses a beat

crank 2 7/10 quick and to the pointless; a fun ride with some genuinely shocking moments that unfortunately has a very limp cookie cutter action movie ending scene that hurts what was otherwise a very enjoyable and fun romp

high noon 9/10 a really unique especially im sure for the time western that manages to be more depressing than pale flower or sword of doom combined while still giving the audience the slimmest amount of wiggle room to have any hope at all of anything working out

tommy 9.5/10 surreal as hell but subtly underscored by a solid message, a movie who's soundtrack never ceases and belts out constant bangers with scenes that hit you in the face, kick fockin rear end

forbidden zone 10/10 as pure as a movie can get in its unapologetically off-kilter raunchiness and hilarity with plenty of musical numbers that could stick in your brain forever

memories of murder 9/10 fun murder mystery that balances lighthearted and silly moments with some genuinely creepy imagery and moments and infighting, id watch again and try to figure it out more

november 5/10 a weak central story thats split up by some very twee ye olde estonian folklore but its also one of the most gorgeously shot movies ive seen with some standout performances

the secret of nimh 8.5/10 great animation and above average voice acting weaved well with a modest but enjoyable score and a killer story

synecdoche new york 10/10 similar to the master for me but hit me harder emotionally, some dark humor scattered throughout a surreal and befucked story

streets of fire 6.5/10 a bit of a bland action movie that has great music and solid 80s schlock acting but ends up feeling like an empty experience because of its lack of edge and danger for a gritty action flick

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
going to grab some popcorn and watch soon too

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
this movie was loving retarded and epic lol :santahurr: im just going to put my review/discussion/whatever of it in spoilers so no bitch rear end little babies get the movie they shouldve watched by now ruined

so like the guy is a lunatic and at the beginning i feel like his navy buddies are screwing with him but that just might be my perception
but i get the feeling they know hes a loon and they make him drink and have sex with beach sculptures for their amusement but who the hell knows
and thats the main thing is who the hell knows describes this movie so well

on a surface level its about a crazy who cant hold a job after leaving the service he just cant reintegrate with society and its potentially some form of ptsd
he gets swept into a cult reminiscent of scientology except its reconciling with your past selves ie your ancestors or spirits that still live within you kind of like some thetan poo poo
the cult leader acts like a psychologist/therapist who puts people under hypnosis but he sees it as something slightly different because hes also crazy
also theres this lady who seems to be the real leader of this cult and might actually be a real doctor and maybe both hoffman(lancaster) and phoenix(freddie) are patients but again nothing is firmly answered
and they get into also sorts of culty hijinks and then the movie ends with joaquin phoenix on the beach again next to the sand lady sculpture
it doesnt seem like anybody actually gets cured or theres any resolution
but i have some thoughts which i have no idea are right or wrong so its probably going to just seem like gibberish but here i go

the first thought i had was that yes indeed, he has ptsd from being bullied in the navy, and the boat he randomly jumps into was somehow orchestrated to be some sort of new radical experimental therapy because joaquin is a psychosexual kleptomaniac on a path of selfdestruction

but as the film goes on i dont think that hits the nail on the head, especially with the ending

so another random thought i had to try and rationalize the film was kind of goofy and out there and it might actually be decently close to the truth but i still dont know
but i sort of thought that maybe this is just the movies attempt at almost showing a neural network thats on the fritz, freddie is sort of the id and impulsivity that our stupid animal brains most connect with on a fundamental level which is why lancaster who is at the center of the cult/metaphorical brain seems to most relate to it even as other parts of the "brain" reject it
the way the other characters in the cult display varying levels of paranoia or jealousy or critical thought ect ect made me think they represented other portions of our consciousness
the reason i kind of think this works at least in some ways is because the loving movie super mario bros 2s you at the end and makes me feel like freddie was sort of in self-healing mode after a manic episode on the beach, essentially we saw his brain attempting to repair itself and come to terms with itself after a major freakout

the only thing i can think of beyond that is going back to lancaster purporting that previous lives are at the fault of all our mental and physical health issues and maybe lancaster is freddies past self? so at the end when freddie finally parts ways with lancaster and there seems to be a resolution, thats why it cuts back to the beach because he did indeed complete the point of the cults strange therapy session

the movie is really loving weird and thats about all i can possibly pull from it myself its no freddy got fingered but its up there i really liked the movie and beyond the plot weirdness it was extremely well acted and shot and its a great looking movie its just also very dense and hard to compartmentalize

thanks for reading

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

I got the tude now posted:

my pick will finally prove my intellectual superiority over everyone here

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

shoutout to whoever did the lighting, amazing stuff

thanks man wasnt a big deal really

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

gently caress you

lol ermm alright then *backs away slowly*

few more days until the next movie :sss: kind of makes me wish we picked two movies every week but that pace might kill some people

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Malcolm is legally available in the US thanks to archive.org

https://archive.org/details/malcolm-1986

lol this sounds kick rear end im excited got some shizz going on this week but maybe sunday ill hop on this

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fargield posted:

Australian movie lets loving go

i bet on the adventures of priscilla queen of the desert and lost
happy that i did though because ive seen that and not malcolm

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
watched malcolm not exactly the laugh a minute comedy i thought it would be but it was pretty nice

i think some of the humor didnt really do much for me because it was making fun of the titular character being austistic which was only sometimes a little funny

i liked the music though and the inventions were fun to watch whizz about but i wish there was more of them but it was also an 80s movie so making all those gadgets probably ate up most of the budget as it is

my favorite part was easily the heist i actually had a decent lol when the heist music stopped while the guard searched around and then it came back on when he went into the elevator and IMMEDIATELY stopped again when he popped out one more time that was good poo poo

overall it was kind of okay i didnt super care for the story or too much for the characters and i thought it was weird that malcolms love interest just goes "going to work for my father in another town bye" and that was that

so yeah to sum it all up not especially over the top hilarious for a comedy but i chuckled a few times and the real heart of the movie comes from the wacky inventions malcolm makes but theres only like two or three really interesting remote controlled ones and the rest is mostly just on rails tram stuff which is boring

id give it like a 5/10 but i think its worth watching as a fun little novelty because that 5 goes a long way

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

The Master will be leaving our shelves at Midnight eastern tonight, Nostradingus was the winner of the most recent roll, so please PM me your pick as soon as you can.

god drat IT lol

gratz and

STONE COLD 64 posted:

This is our next movie as picked by Nostradingus

House dir. by Nobuhiko Ôbayashi

epic pick ive heard about this movie a lot in passing but never ended up watching it thanks

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
kickass movie :sss:

at the very beginning i was a little put off by the overly cheesy, almost sitcom looking special effects
some of it reminded me of old karaoke videos in format https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_-2v4N43o
but over time i began to appreciate them and how they were used, its extremely creative and it wasnt as dialed in as it looked like it was going to be from the outset
also i liked how boxed in the characters were too, they all were one note(except for melody LOL!!!) but they still had a lot of personality and life to them
so to finish up non-spoilery things before i start getting specific ill just say i appreciate that despite how weird it was the movies narrative was pretty strong so it wasnt like the master in terms of being hard to follow
i also liked the music and just how out there this movie was peep the spoilers for some connections i made that prove to me how influential this mustve been

so to get down to the nitty gritty i was laughing a lot throughout this movie and its quirky off-kilter humor was never lost on me
i liked how when the girls first arrive and meet gorgeous' aunt, shes in a wheelchair and as she was being pushed around somebody from off camera just threw the cat onto her lap you could tell it didnt jump up on its own lol
the deaths of the characters were all really fun too, they all got canned with a fitting end and i enjoyed watching auntie take victory laps after each demise and alluding to her demonic ghostly truth while the characters were like DUHHHH for the first 3/4ths of the movie
i noted two things that im pretty sure went on to inspire some games i love, perhaps most overtly was the piano that ate melody makes me wonder if it had influence on Super Mario 64, the piano that tries to eat you in that was also in a haunted house
the other was i believe still melody lol, when she was in the john and she had her arm sticking out and it freaked out fantasy, then she said "toilet paper please"
thats gotta be the toilet hand dude in majoras mask lol

im sure thats only scratching the surface but im too uncultured to know what else it influenced
the kung fu girl was definitely the coolest character and im glad she made it so close to the end especially considering none of them got out alive lol

so yeah overall id probably give this movie a straight up 10/10 it was zany and creative and extremely artistic in how it used really low budget effects to great use and i loved it all the way through
makes me a little nervous that i bought bananas before watching it though

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Sub-Actuality is responsible for this pick.

The Wrong Guy dir. by David Steinberg

hey the first movie club pick ive already seen before and i actually watched it within this year

oh well the movie ruled and ill watch anything by a dave i know twice :santahurr:

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
yeah the wrong guy is still a funny movie id say it gets a little slow with da chucklez at the 3/4ths mark but picks back up at the end

as a comedy there isnt a huge amount to say besides LOL!!! so ill just get to some cool info and spoilers now

love kevin mcdonalds cameo he was the kids in the hall member that dave felt closest to creatively and even after he left for news radio and the kith felt betrayed that he wasnt interested in brain candy it shows how close those two were considering

a bit of a shame though because i saw a lot of opportunity for other cast members to show up, the "gay" marine brother who owns the room dave sleeps in at the bankers house is straight up a character from brain candy that scott thompson played

and there was another character that i cant remember but i tried to note it in my mind that wouldve been a great bruce mcculloch vehicle sorry i lost it though lol

of course as the character actor mark mckinney couldve slotted in anywhere but there was drama rip

uhhh but about the movie its just really funny gotta love a guy holding a dead rat he snapped the neck of maniacally laughing in the woods after punching a dog in the face
theres just a lot of really retarded/sarcastic/deadpan humor that dave is well known for

in fact one of his kith sketches is used at the end he should be lucky he wasnt stabbed by a knife himself when he kept denying epiphany was the word he was looking for

still a good movie with a lot of coincidence stringing the plot together but because its a comedy it works and sets up a lot of good jokes
8/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

symbolic posted:

teh sword of d00m

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
havent watched sword of doom myself yet but i popped on pale flower

ill start off with the basics by saying that like a lot of movies in da club it was beautifully shot and well orchestrated the amount of anxiety from certain scenes and how the brass section could almost make the viewer sick with how it warbled was profound

the characters were all cool muraki was a kickass gangster punk and the boss of his branch of the yakuza(?) was great comic relief and saeko was of course intriguing in her pursuit of debauchery and danger while obviously well-to-do

and the story was neat too without going into specifics its a pretty classic tale so it isnt exactly going to spin anybodys head but when you have a character centric plot like this its really the performance of the actors that elevate it and i think they all did their part here

now specifics :santahurr:

my favorite shots are during the opening when they are first gathered in that gambling hall, i liked saeko sitting next to the guy with a tiger tattoo as if to symbolize her inner desire for danger and conflict

and then immediately after having the camera behind some bars to sort of illustrate perhaps the illegality of the gambling but also i think it paired well with saeko and the tiger tattoo to also show that shes locked in like an animal in a cage a slave to her whims

the other shot i really enjoyed was her opening the door of her expensive luxury convertible not only was the camera work amazing on that but i also really enjoyed how it shocked me a little to see the extent of her wealth and have it really hit home the reality of her situation

again the story is one as old as organized crime you kill my guy i kill yours and the divide between the "old school" gangsters who make their money and fun gambling and shaking people down vs the incoming "new school" ones who are getting into the drug trade either by buying selling or using

for some other assorted moments i liked id have to say goh staring down muraki while the cacophony of instruments was layered over an intense moment where otherwise nothing was happening made the tension palpable

at first i thought muraki was seeing things perhaps the person he had killed prior to the events of the movie and the tension was caused by his own inner turmoil or realization that he was heading down a dark road with saeko where he might murder again

turns out it was just a stoner dickhead though lol

but then it also turned out he went down that path regardless

all the main players have pretty tragic ends, his girlfriend having to come to terms with her yakuza boyfriend no longer being interested and set in his ways to the point he knows that a relationship is pointless, saeko's demise with goh that was easily preventable if she and muraki could simply elope together and leave their thrill seeking behind

and of course muraki falling into the same pattern that landed him in jail in the first place and losing his girlfriend and his new love interest in saeko while in the slammer essentially removing any redemption arc for him and almost assuredly marking him as yakuza for life now where the only resolution for him will be his own demise down the road

so ermmm pretty cool movie about self-destruction and while LOOKING kickass also a clear condemnation of the yakuza lifestyle

9/10 really great movie

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

MacheteZombie posted:

Pale Flower was awesome. Bbv movie club knocking it out with these picks. The score and editing on this are really cool and both leads give great performances. I really liked the dream sequence where Muraki sees Saeko doing drugs with Yoh. The ending was really cool.

ohhh gently caress yeah i forgot to mention the dream sequence that ruled too

i liked the overlaid water ripple effect

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
finally got around to watch the sword of doom and you know i had put it off for a little bit because ive been in a foul mood but actually i dont think there is a better mood to have while watching this lol

in many ways same old same old beautifully shot richly scored but theres a lot of neat things to unpack in this movie im going right into spoilers

to start off with a negative id have to say and this is not the films fault but following a lot of characters in a japanese movie can be a touch confusing and i did get a little lost from time to time

as soon as somebody popped up i would try my best to tie their name to the appearance but some characters still feel the same or even unknown to me

for instance the guy who was in the carriage when they were stalking the people to mount ueno im still not 100% sure who that was but he was an absolute turning point for the movie and a key part of ryunosukes downfall so i feel like i shouldve connected the dots and understood who he was more and yet

that aside i like how the movie centered around a bad guy which doesnt often happen, in any other movie the first hour wouldve been 5 minutes of flashbacks for the good character to establish their motivation and reason for wanting to track down and kill ryunosuke but here all the preamble is integral to the psyche of the main character... and also the main villain

most of my review is going to be focused on him as he is the focal point of the movie and easily the most interesting although the uncle was a close second

there were times throughout the film where you almost feel like there is some humanity to ryunosuke, for instance i had a thought pop into my head at the end where he is fighting the shadows of the spirits he had slain previously that perhaps this is his form of remorse and guilt

if he felt guilty then there must be humanity to him, something that tells him what he is doing is wrong otherwise he wouldnt be haunted by it

but then for me that was dispelled when it became clear that what really bothered him was the words from the carriage guy(sorry i didnt click with his name lol) in that an evil soul is tied to the evil sword

what really shook ryunosuke and drove him to madness wasnt guilt, but instead a grim realization that one with an evil sword, and an evil soul, could never be the swordsman like the carriage guy. he saw his virtuosity in the face of those assassins and even sparing the leader as something he could never do and so would never have a pure soul in which to wield a pure sword

carriage guy was a paragon of both technical skill that outshone him and morality that he long threw away

all he ever desired was power and dominance through any means and to see all of that wasted in an instant made his rage burn hotter than the building that he put alight, and blinded him more than the thick smoke in which he fought

the guy was a real jerk

9/10 i could probably go on about how cool the uncle/"father" of omatsu was for not taking advantage of her obvious crush on him and doing his best to stand up for her despite his own shadowy lifestyle as a robber and always doing his best to better her life but i think thats all i got for now and i didnt mind the ending either, when it was over, it was clearly over, and there wasnt a need to go on

good way to go out

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

elf help book posted:

i actually did watch sword of doom

i loved the lead actor and his constant cold faces

i found it interesting that, from his point of view, im not sure if he actually killed anyone without reason, even if they werent exactly good reasons. please correct me if im wrong. the grandpa prays for his own death. bunny usagi attacked him first, he was quick to point that out lol. his 'wife' tried to kill him first, and then asked for her death. others were prepared for battle and had the means to fight back, he wasnt even one to attack first during the assassinations

true for the most part id argue that im not sure if the film conveys that he heard the grandfathers prayer before attacking and its obvious from the look on his face before getting struck down that he didnt truly mean it

but its obvious that he enjoys the killing and smiles throughout each act

you have to keep in mind his fighting style is to bait people into dying onto his blade and a lot of those kills were him psychologically torturing people before slaying them(ie boinking his brothers wife and then telling him about it so he could break his promise to the wife) or putting himself in situations where he knew he would be attacked

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our movie of the week is a more recent one but still great as chosen by Kagaya Homoraisan

Mandy - Dir. by Panos Cosmatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk

This movie will Expire on Aug 28.

what the hell lol never heard of this but nic cage is the most epickest crazy actor in hollywood so its at least going to be entertaining :slime:

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
let me start this off by saying in a way i hated mandy

it was the stupidest loving movie ive seen in a long time

when people talk about senseless violence in movies this is as senseless as they come

the plot is threadbare and the acting is beyond retarded

but the movie still kind of ruled

so ill say that the movie doesnt go off the rails for a bit theres a lot of setup and sense of impending doom as the hippie cultists begin their nefarious plan to kidnap them

its pretty intriguing and the titular mandy is a very interesting character, nicholas cage didnt really emote a lot but you could tell his character loved her and it set up the tragedy nicely

where the movie falls apart is when a magic ocarina is sounded and hellraisers on motorcycles or atvs or some poo poo roll in

it was so loving dumb i was astounded

and then the scene of nicholas cage in the bathroom screaming his head off and pouring vodka down his throat and all over his body

i couldnt stop laughing

the movie becomes a comedy with how completely unsubtle it is, how straight forward a lot of the revenge kills are dispatched, the overacting, the stupidity of next to every choice nic cage makes

i was going to tear my hair out if the weapons he spent 20 minutes talking to a dude in a camper about werent recovered after he was captured A SECOND TIME

next to every word out of nic cages mouth is dumber than the last thing

i think ive established that i think the movie is in many ways so daft that sometimes it turns around to silly but sometimes it doesnt and i was left to struggle not to turn the movie off

but i sort of called the post credits scene before i got to it

next to every scene looked like cage was going from one prog album cover to another, the shots were beautiful (although the visual effects bordered on House style, i think the one i liked the most was the drugged up scene where the cult leader plays a donovan album but the scene visually looks like black sabbath's Paranoid album art which is doubly fitting because she was wearing a black sabbath shirt at that point)

and it was when i saw that connection, and then i saw him essentially having a Heavy Metal male power fantasy(really hit home by the obvious Heavy Metal tribute where an animated sequence showed mandy digging in an aliens guts and pulls out the loc-nar) that i sort of was like

is he just that? and sure enough

so i think the movie set out to do what it wanted so i cant fault it too much but having times where i genuinely couldnt take it anymore and nearly pressed the x in the top right corner at multiple points makes me feel like nobody should ever try to seriously watch this for a movie club and this is the kind of movie you watch with a buddy and lol at teh funney nic cage faces and screaming

this is so hard to rate

im going with my gut with a 6/10 but in some ways its a 10/10 and in other ways its a 0/10 so im sort of hitting near the middle while still acknowledging that it was an overall positive experience

also i had this playing in my head more than a few times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtRHz6trEdk

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 17, 2023

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
wots da pick.........

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

oh my god

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

just kidding.

roth's actual pick is

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE - dir. by Shûsuke Kaneko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lKCMIF4iA

This movie will expire September 4.

Gamera can be streamed on Amazon Prime or for free on Tubi and PlutoTV for US audiences.

yesssssss

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
gamera loving PWNED!!!! i think the secret sauce was humanizing gamera with an expressive face particularly the eyes weirdly enough, ive seen a handful of kaiju movies and never gave a poo poo about godzilla as much as i did gamera

loving clapped at the end lol what a badass

like i said ive seen a handful of kaiju movie so i know how they go and ive always enjoyed the cynicism at society and politics and all that other gay rear end poo poo

usually people hate the parts with humans but love the big monster fighting but i liked both here characters were decently fleshed out and likable and it reminded me of shin godzilla in particular with how it handled the EPA(japanese equivalent lol)

for me the funniest part of the movie was a blink and youll miss it moment where at the bottom corner of the screen, near the baseball dome, there was a kfc sign

then gamera bitchslaps one of the punkass gyaos into an oil container and deep fries the motherfucker :sss: finger lickin good

i also liked the darker tone of the movie, it reminded me a lot of jurassic park 2 with both the rainy island settings, particularly when the gyaos hunts down the doctor and the sailor at the beginning

people get straight up murked all throughout the movie, i audibly gasped when the subway car fell onto that group of people on the ground below the tracks

also when gamera first retracts and jetpacks the gently caress off my jaw dropped during the "transformation" i was blown away

really good special effects for a movie like this especially for the time

last thing ill say is when loving gamera and gyaos go into outerspace and gyaos had its wings retracted and looked like a triangle below gamera and then spread out its wings suddenly it was so kickass idk what else to say about it lol just a sweet visual

good rear end kaiju movie ill give it up 10/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
it made gyaos such a heel to gently caress with the tokyo tower too culturally speaking that mustve really cemented gyaos as not just a random rampaging monster but actually evil to the japanese lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
like before that you can still sort of imagine its just trying to be a giant monster in the human world giant monsters gotta eat so i didnt think it deserved its moniker as the Shadow of Evil but then the tokyo tower lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
im all set up to watch le samourai but i think im going to watch the third gamera film tonight and then watch la samourai tomorrow :coolslime:

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
finally sat down to watch le samourai tonight and i was a little surprised how little to do with samurai this was

its a film noir so it definitely invoked some pale flower and even shared some themes which i thought was neat

im kind of tired so maybe ill expand this post later maybe not but i feel very melancholy after watching and its kind of nice, the whole movie had a vibe to it that im glad sticks even after the credits have rolled

im going to go over some of my favorite scenes and shizz before i go to bed

i hated the bird at first but im glad it served a purpose beyond reinforcing the monotony and nothingness of his life outside of work with its constant repetitive chirping

the bird was a total bro and i hope after his owner died it was taken well care of because it increasing the frequency of its chirping when alerted when compared to how much like a metronome it is normally was the perfect clue in for jef that some poo poo was happening at his apartment a few times and it saved his bacon

i really liked the acting in this one, all the way through there are glimmers in jef that hes more than a hitman but the face he made to the bartender at the end while putting on his gloves, knowing what he was going to do next and obviously haunted about it reflected perfectly in his visage was a really beautiful moment

the pianist was really pretty and played perfectly off jef and shone brilliantly through her performance easily one of the highlights, although the detective wasnt a slouch either. everyone did really good, especially the lady he did his alibis with, but those three in particular, jef, pianist, detective, were the standout actors for me

overall a really great movie, it dipped here and there but quickly picked up any slack and brought me right back into the film i dont have any real big complaints beyond a little bit of pacing which i think was ultimately fine and allowed for a good rhythm for the downtime between action/intrigue scenes
9/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
hana-bi huh

what the gently caress was this lol it seemed so scattered and disjointed

i mean this is a movie where i have some ideas of some sort of narrative but this one really confused me in a way i havent felt as lost since The Master

so like, theres an ex-detective who had a partner who got shot and was wheelchair bound and is forced to make art

and the ex-detective also takes out loans from the yakuza... because he wants to be able to pay his dying wife's hospital bills? i think?

but he seems to turn into a different person during these scenes and becomes a stone cold killer and badass

does he have some sort of dissociation disorder? i noticed something is a little off about him because his eye twitches constantly and he seems to be traumatized

and apparently his daughter died but his wife is alive but dying

but then at the end his daughter is alive? and his wife is still kicking? and he gets arrested or he shoots the detectives or he shoots his wife and himself

and it was snowing heavily the scene before where the yakuza people were shot in the car but now its bright and sunny and there isnt a speck of snow in sight?

if you cant tell how easy it is to be confused by this movie yet theres so many more scenes of random violence and craziness that gives way to further downtime that its hard to really wrap ones head around this

the ONLY theory i have so far is that sometimes hana-bi, the person in the wheelchair, is making art that is even remotely related to whats going on with nishi, and so

the only thing i might have is maybe nishi is hana-bi's muse, and the alter ego of nishi that goes around gangbanging and loving poo poo up is some sort of resentment that hana-bi has against his ex-partner because he lost his wife and child since they left him when he was wheelchair bound

and he blames his partner nishi

so he comes up with this head canon that his partner is this really scummy piece of poo poo who bounces from place to place ruining everything and robbing banks and poo poo while hanging out with his wife and child

but its not real and its just his own twisted delusion that is reflected in his art at times

thats all ive got really i dont get this the gently caress at all lol

really, really, really confusing, but that age old cliche of "i laughed! i cried" rang true for this movie, even if it felt like a scattered assortment of impressionist artwork loosely strung by the flimsiest of narratives

there were scenes that were extremely impactful in this and i really liked it i just wish i understood it more i can see why it went by another name of Fireworks because it seems like a firework show where explosions of blood violence and mayhem pop up for sometimes seemingly no reason

8.5/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
oh my focking god nooooo

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Leadthumb posted:

Hype as hell to watch speed racer.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
speed racer owned, i was really slow to get into it because it is definitely sensory overload and takes a bit to get used to the style but when you do it clicks pretty well id say

i dont think i need to spoiler anything really with this one theres a couple twists outside of the race tracks that are pretty cool but i dont think i need to talk indepth about them

any movie with a deliberately obnoxious kid character in it should almost immediately be shitcanned and sent off to the dumb bad movie junkyard but spritle does his absolute best buddy hackett impression and it won me over

the races were action packed but if theres one thing that annoyed me is all the safety bubble poo poo that protects drivers when they crash i think it cheapened things a little but its also understandable with the amount of carnage on screen at any one time

movie would not be remotely modern kid friendly with that much death but the og speed racer cartoon was pretty kid friendly without holding any punches i used to watch that all the time

but yeah this movie had excellent and stylistic shots that were full of flair and really drew me in but another nitpick of mine is how often they did that green screen a dude talking and pan him over the footage slowly as he reacts but sometimes it was also used really creatively for screen transitions too

when used creatively it was epic but it was used way too much overall again cheapening the movie a bit

overall i thought the movie was great despite some qualms but i think its an 8/10 im glad i bought some popcorn for this one because it was sheer entertainment all the way through perfect movie for tonight

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 16, 2023

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
oh when trixie was interested in speed during the school stuff at the beginning i jokingly envisioned this movie being entwined with malcom and speed inviting her over to talk about cars and her realizing how not prepared for his car autism she was and going "actually ive got to get back home to Lalor, bye"

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Leadthumb posted:

Just finished Speed Racer. What an insane production. I really liked the plot of all things and was super amped when the sister showed up with the grand prix invite just as speed is losing his way. The effects were all over the place but they kept the vibe consistent throughout the movie so you kind of get used to it by the end lol. They clearly wanted Tim Curry for the bad guy but the cast overall was pretty good, Racer X and Trixie were standouts. I just wish the guy playing speed would have had a little more energy, he played it so straight and dramatically that it made him kind of distracting, they should have had him ham it up a little more or something.

It's a mixed bag but it's unique and fun enough to recommend to anyone just for the novelty alone.
What a bizarre movie, great pick!

tim curry wouldve been amazing but the guy did a really good job i had to go to imdb really quickly when i saw him to make sure he wasnt christopher hitchens with how caustic and cynical and uh british he was lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i havent watched crank 1 or 2 in a while now but i remember liking them because of how ridiculous they were and how frenetic the directing of the 2nd was so im currently debating if ill rewatch both or just the second one

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
im just going for 2 gently caress it from what i remember it stands on its own merits anyway

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
just watched crank 2 while cranked out on caffeine which i think helped the experience a bit but i will say out of the gate that a rewatch made it a little less exciting

part of the reason i initially enjoyed crank 2 was because of how over the top it was the really stupid comedy moments and the really neat camera work especially during the more electric moments

however what initially shocked me the first time watching didnt really do much for me this time since i still remembered the movie quite a bit but there were still some moments that i had a hard time handling

the nipple cutting scene is still incredibly difficult to watch even having seen it before

but also not having seen it almost a decade and a half ago now theres some stuff i missed that now i can enjoy a little more, not a lot but a few things

john de lancie being in it was cool now that i know more about star trek and have watched breaking bad

and the glenn howerton scene made me lol a bit more because i know who he is now after watching a bunch of always sunny

also the chinese guy with the locked lunch box reminds me of that dude from courage the cowardly dog

i thought it mightve been the same actor but my quick google searches put that to rest quick but the laugh is so similar

my biggest complaint with the movie by far is the ending i remembered being bored and let down by it when i watched it in theaters too

for all of the inventiveness and creativity of the movie up until that point it just felt really by the numbers and i think they also hosed up by having chet kill the big bad guy instead of venus that seemed like a huge misstep to me i get they wanted another laugh because of the tourettes but they still shouldve let him have the kill after Teh Funny

overall a pretty fun and unique action flick that had a fun gimmick with the film matching the intensity of the battery recharging but im giving it a good old 7/10 i think

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Sub-Actuality posted:

this shot loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
high noon was a really depressing movie lol ive never seen somebody get kicked in the balls so hard repeatedly and still saddle up

probably one of the most misanthropic films ive seen and thats saying something

but i like that and i feel that gave the film a bit of an edge compared to its contemporaries, a grown rear end man breaks down in tears

you never see that in other westerns but here it fits well with how grim the whole film is, its neat to see the main character not just be some manly man caricature, consider leaving town multiple times as friends and the people he served abandon him to the wolves, and actually show some humanity

the film just feels more real than your typical western this is probably how a majority of movies shouldve gone down if they had any gumption to portray it

and about the ending a bit

i was surprised it was a "happy" one, in that the main character lived

if it wasnt for his wife im pretty sure he was in dire straits at the end there with the two vilains pinning him down in that saddle shop i believe

i mean poo poo somebody had to compromise their entire religion and traumatic past, the quaker lady picking up a gun and blowing away a dude, for things to work out

this movie was hardcore

and him tossing his star on the ground and driving away was exactly what those yellow bellied bastards deserved

so to sum things up yeah i think another solid film, horribly depressing and any victory earned felt hollow in the face of how low things had gotten for that town, and it wasnt overly cinematic but there were some shots i liked

9/10