Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I like the Secret of NIMH. IIRC, Don Bluth spent years pitching it when he worked at Disney and it was always turned down; it became the motivating project for his band of defectors from Disney. I always love hand-drawn animation from back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I love Streets of Fire. It was the first 4K I watched at home and it looked fantastic. It's a lot of fun as a weird rock opera, definitely doesn't pay to spend a lot of time thinking about the plot. It was also great to see a young Willem Dafoe. Fun fact: Michael Paré didn't know how to drive when he took the role.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 22, 2023

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

There is no way I will watch Come and See a second time :smith:

Plutonis posted:

btw i think almost all of Mosfilm's catalog are on their youtube channel, not just come and see, so there's a shitload of good films there to pick up as well

Indeed. Russian TV often shows some classic comedies around New Year's: The Irony of Fate, Prisoner of the Caucasus (my favorite of these), The Diamond Arm, Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession, etc. They're all on YouTube.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

My apologies for picking something that's not on streaming services at the moment, very silly of me. It's a great film noir and a great role for Gloria Grahame.

Compare with La Bête humaine by Jean Renoir, which this was based on. It changes the plot substantially. Personally, I prefer Fritz Lang's take on the story.

edit: Correction, it's another adaptation of the same novel, not a remake of the film itself.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 23, 2024

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

I rewatched La Bête humaine (it's on the Criterion Channel) while I was at it and now I'm not sure which version I prefer. I should read the novel to see what might be missing. Lang's adaptation simplified some of the relationships between the characters and I loved the visuals of all the steam engines in Renoir's adaptation, but I found the ending of Renoir's version to be psychologically implausible (hence my curiosity now to read the novel), unlike in Lang's film. Can't say that there are very many adaptations that include a portrait of the novel's author in the opening credits, which was a very nice gesture.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 23, 2024