Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Could be fun, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our very first pick for 2023 Movie Club is....

THE MASTER dir. by Paul Thomas Anderson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTM8eO1Oec

While we will draw for another movie next Monday, all movies will have a two week period to be watched and reviewed. The deadline for this film is Jul 24.

I haven't seen this one before but it sounds great

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I got the tude now posted:

my pick will finally prove my intellectual superiority over everyone here

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

poo poo, I still gotta watch the previous movie lol. I'll make sure to get to it soon

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I finally sat down and watched The Master. It's been said many times already but it is a gorgeous-looking movie with excellent acting. I found that I enjoyed Hoffman's performance more than that of Phoenix. Not that the latter was bad, I just thought there was more depth to the former especially. And the Cause is clearly inspired by Scientology lol. Very solid pick.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Malcolm was a little odd. I enjoyed quite a few of scenes of the trio and their dialogue could be funny at times. The soundtrack was great and added a lot to the whimsical atmosphere (I especially enjoyed hearing "Music for a Found Harmonium" at the beginning). The gadgets were clever; they always lended themselves well to the gags. I found the plot to be thin, and though the characters were fun, there wasn't much to them. Some scenes that were meant to be tense were resolved almost instantly or dropped (like Frank's misunderstanding that one night and what happened to Judith at the bar). Malcolm also just agreed very abruptly to be a part of their plans. I think a bit more development of the characters might have helped. It's not the main focus of the movie by any means, but still.

I'm glad we got some Macedonian representation in as well.

ddinkins fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 1, 2023

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

House was very goofy and silly but I didn't really have much fun with it. The set design was cool. The special effects looked cheap; I imagine that was intentionally done to infuse the setting with some charm. I liked the practical effects and the setting itself enough. Kung fu was neat. I kinda felt bad for Mac but couldn't care less about the others. I could go on about the editing but I really don't think I could say what hasn't been said already. I give it a poob out of ten

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I wasn't familiar with The Kids in the Hall before watching The Wrong Guy but I still enjoyed myself anyway. Nice little black comedy. The running gag of the investigator being impressed with the air duct escape was pretty funny. Good quotes, too. "To the broccoli field, Jedidiah, and hurry." and "I fell on my keys!" I'd watch it again for sure

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

The Sword of Doom: big fan of Tatsuya Nakadai, Toshiro Mifune, and samurai epics, so I expected a great time. And it was pretty good, well composed and shot, directed by someone who clearly follows in the footsteps of Kurosawa. Wish there were a bit more to the plot though

Pale Flower: cool postwar Japanese film noir, nihilistic. Not sure what to think of this one. Beautiful to look at, though. I should watch it again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I love Nicolas Cage. I loved his performance in Mandy and thought he was the best part of the film hands down. He brings a lot of fun and raw emotion to this movie as he does with so many others. The movie definitely seems to prize style over substance (especially the plot) and the pacing at the beginning was rather slow. The director did very much the same thing with his episode "The Viewing" of the Guillermo del Toro horror anthology "Cabinet of Curiosities," a slow burning start drenched in surreal lighting and atmosphere, culminating in a violent finale. However, if Nicolas Cage hadn't been in Mandy I'd have not enjoyed it as much. I couldn't really get invested in the other characters and the story is a bit barebones. Still, worth a watch in my opinion, even if it's for Cage alone

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I liked Gamera a lot! I hadn't seen a kaiju movie before but I loved the use of practical effects to bring the monsters to life. There was real love and craftsmanship in the puppetry/models. Very fun, goofy movie, even with the kinda ehh plot device of the girl's magatama. Flying fireball turtle ftw

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Le Samouraļ was a great film. Impressive acting, especially from Alain/Nathalie Delon, moody atmosphere, good pacing. The soundtrack was very apropos and infused the scenes with a nice ethereal quality (and emphasized the crushing loneliness of the protagonist in my view). I have to say my favorite scene was the interrogation between the commissioner and Jane Lagrange in her apartment. I love how unflappable she was despite his threats and wheedling. It also had my favorite line, "The truth isn't what you say. It's what I say." Jef's pet bird was great too, and like starbarry clock said before I hope it went to a good owner after Jef's demise. Additionally, the scene at the beginning with Jef getting his license plate changed was a standout to me. He'd done that so many times that he and the other guy didn't even have to say anything. It was only at the end he finally told Jef that it would be the last time, which of course becomes more poignant after having seen the ending.

All in all, an excellent choice. I wish I had a giant keyring now

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Lotta good Korean movies being overlooked by y'all.

then I think you'll like my pick

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

alright, whatever

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Hana-bi was excellent: acting, pacing, cinematography, everything else. I've just noticed I haven't seen much of Beat Takeshi's work besides Takeshi's Castle (by way of MXC lol). I'm gonna change that

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Watch Sonatine

thanks for the recommendation

Fungah! posted:

legit scrolled too fast nd thought this said salo

lol

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I liked a lot about Speed Racer, from the Racer family dynamic (abetted by strong performances from Sarandon and Goodman) to the racing visual effects to the music. The CGI shows its age and Chim Chim/Spritle were a little much, though. Roger Allam was perfect as Royalton. Hirsch as the titular role was kinda eh, but I did like his line "Get that weak poo poo off my track." Ricci was good too. The racing action was frenetic but I never felt lost in it. Quite an enjoyable film, coming from someone who's never seen or read the source material

The "nonjas" line was brilliant

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Crank 2 was very loud and brash and over-the-top. Action was cool for a while but after a while the movie just got grating. Shotguns aren't supposed to go there

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

High Noon is a tremendously good film. So well-shot, acted, scored, and scripted. I think my favorite moment was right after Kane was rejected at the church; the look on his face was unforgettable. Great performances all around. John Wayne was such a hack lmao

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

well, you all have starbarry clock to thank for this, i didn't pick it.

The Forbidden Zone - dir. by Richard Elfman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_WKItgD_Ng

This movie will expire Oct 23. This is not Musicals Month this was just starbarry clock's pick.

lol the poster looks like it could have been for a John Waters film

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

It looks AI generated lol

lol

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i felt bad for laughing at that scene, this movie is shot incredibly well for being made 70 years ago

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I really enjoyed a lot of the music and quite a few of the performances from Tommy. Tina Turner was a standout with her crazy-rear end song and acting lol. I also liked the image of an iron maiden with syringes on the interior. Elton John as the Pinball Wizard had an excellent song, my favorite of the movie. The editing in the pinball duel was also top notch. Jack Nicholson lol what was he doing there? Ann-Margret was fun but that baked beans scene went on a little too long I thought. Overall, quite enjoyable. Not the hugest fan of musicals but I liked it a lot

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I didn't care for Forbidden Zone very much, sorry

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I'm glad that you guys enjoyed Memories of Murder so much. A great and thought-provoking film for sure

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I also watched NIMH earlier, will leave thoughts on the movie here soon

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

copy posted:

started up synecdoche and the "cayden does that feel terrible" "yep" lol

lol her response of "ok, good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

All the scenes with Hope Davis are so good. She's a standout which is high praise given the stellar casting. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Philip Seymour Hoffman's phenomenal performance. I don't think anyone else could have portrayed bourgeois malaise as well as he did. Though the film was pretty bleak from the outset, it was lifted up by a good sense of humor (the burning house, the airplane scene, even Caden's confrontation with the now German-accented Maria). An exceptional pick