Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i definitely ought to watch more, so i'm in

- The Master: 8/10
- Malcolm: 5/10
- House: 8/10
- The Wrong Guy: 7/10
- Pale Flower: 6.5/10
- Mandy: 8.5/10
- Gamera: Guardian of the Universe: 7.5/10
- Speed Racer: 9/10
- High Noon: 7.5/10
- Tommy: 7.5/10
- Forbidden Zone: starbarry clock/10
- The Secret of NIMH: 7.5/10
- Synecdoche, New York: 9.5/10
- Streets of Fire: 5/10
- Rocky: 9/10
- Come and See: 9.5/10

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Okay i have rolled the wheel for names and symbolic is the winner. Symbolic let me know what your pick is.

oh poo poo ok lol, i had several picks in mind but didn't expect to be first up. lemme think about em for a few & i'll PM ya

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just finished watching it, god drat what a movie. i hadn't actually seen it before, just been wanting to for a while since it's #2 on my list of PTA films to check out and i figured more people would've seen TWWB already. i'm really bad at analyzing or talking about movies but gonna try my best, haven't read anything spoilered so far so i could come to my own conclusions first

Phoenix and PSH absolutely steal the show, god-tier acting. Phoenix is quite possibly my favorite actor of all time and he nails the vibe of being competent enough to function but unhinged enough to be off-putting, so when Freddie caves into his mad dog side like during his arrest where he goes insane in his prison cell it's less par for the course and more a massive release (also read before and remembered during the movie that him destroying the toilet was purely improv and since it was a historical prison he destroyed a historical artifact lmao). i also mean mad dog rather literally cuz it always feels like PSH has him on a leash tugging him back, as exemplified during the climax where Dodd's singing to Freddie to try and subconsciously coax him back into the fold, but also naturally when Freddie attacks More and the cops in defense of Dodd. inversely, PSH makes Dodd absolutely terrifying in that when he's quiet and subtle he's well-spoken and convincing, and when he raises his voice or loses his temper he's an absolute force of nature that can shout you down and clam you up. in particularly early on i was captivated by the initial questionnaire scene where Dodd just slowly breaks Freddie and his lies down solely by repeating and barraging him with questions. that scene in particularly stood out to me, along with the framing of Dodd eating lunch outside with all his followers aside from Freddie trying to make sense of the wall, as well as him and Freddie being shown to drive opposite directions during the motorcycle scene with the latter two making me think Freddie never did truly connect with the Cause itself, only needing someone - anyone - to connect to and no matter how how far he runs, he can never escape what Dodd ingrained into him, as the final scene shows

think for a first-time viewing i'd give it roughly an 8/10 but i think going back through and being able to pay closer attention would ratchet it up even higher since it feels like there's a lot to dissect beneath the surface. absolutely need to watch more PTA if he cranks out stuff like this. godfuckindamn

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Our next film...

MALCOLM dir. by Nadia Tess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffDBsSgS5Q

The deadline for this film is July 31.

this looks hella neat

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

grateful they covered all the bases with this one

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nostradingus posted:

Still haven't seen Malcolm since I've been out of town. Hope I'll be able to get to it Tuesday.

yeah I've been traveling since Thursday and have a single day for it once im back, should be able to but life happens

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched Malcolm and it's a weird movie to try and categorize. very college film feels and like other peeps said the gadgets were cool as hell and i kinda wish it was like half an hour longer since even if there was an ending i kinda felt like there should still be more to it. my partner ended up liking it a fair bit more than i did, i'm probably only gonna give it a 5/10. i dont regret watching it but idk i don't think i'd ever recommend it to anyone beyond being a quirky indie film

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just finished House

trying to jack off posted:

jesus christ, hausu is terrible lmfao

gently caress you

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anyways, wasn't exactly sure what to expect going in beyond "Japanese Evil Dead II" and while it was kinda like that idk if there's really anything comparable to how surreal and almost artistic is. the cheesy SFX and bizarre cuts and camerawork turned out mostly really charming and i both laughed out loud and said "jesus christ" at various points, though it never felt like tonal whiplash. the score was really good too. i was talking with a cinephile friend of mine and he asked if it was as bewildering as Holy Mountain was when we watched it and i told him that if Holy Mountain was Frank Zappa, House is Bjork, and the more i think about that the more it feels correct. i guess the beginning could've been more straightforward and a few of the wild edits didnt feel like they added anything beyond being disorienting but this was a pretty kickass film and i definitely wanna rewatch it in the future. solid 8/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

teh sword of d00m

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Wrong Guy was pretty solid. good jokes, nothing spectacular but a slab of good comedy. lol at the Barenaked Ladies cameo. 7/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i forgot to watch either of Chuck's movies til the last minute and settled on Pale Flower between the two, was a haphazard viewing as a result but still enjoyed it. some cool shots especially the dream sequence and the ending, and i appreciate a more slice-of-life slow burn flick tho it started ramping up toward the end. kinda wish it had more introspection and worldview commentary like the opening had but regardless, gonna give it a solid 6.5/10. this might be the first live action JP movie i've ever seen come to think of it...gotta correct that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i thought Mandy absolutely whipped, probably one of the trippiest films i've ever seen and i kinda want to call it demonic too at that. some amazing composition shots and the entire surreal nature of the color & lighting that was used was fantastic. even if Nic Cage wasn't the lead i think i still may have enjoyed it but yeah seconding the ppl that said he's a godly physical actor, some of his facial expressions especially during the ending scenes were harrowing and his extended grief breakdown felt so real. he absolutely elevated it and between this+Willy's Wonderland i think i just need more movies that get fully carried by him just going psycho vigilante mode on anything that moves lol. the sound design too, all the dark ambient stuff really amplified how drug-laced the camerawork felt+the use of silence otherwise like Nic wordlessly screaming as Mandy burns to death was great. of course the dialogue was whatever and there feels like a lot of fat to trim at the beginning and it's also kind of weird since thinking about it i don't think i'd call it a cinema classic by any means and probably won't rewatch it, but it was still really gripping and i loved it from an artsy perspective. an 8.5 sounds right to me based on that, even if the stuff i rated a bit lower so far was much more memorable and objectively better there was a je ne sais quoi with Mandy that made me really enjoy it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gamera was really neat but i feel like i'd have to watch more kaiju films to really be able to judge it. pretty much everything i could've wanted from a giant monster movie, glad it was my first. 7.5/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

all that said if th next person picks a japanese movie i'll personally perform hokuto no ken moves on them

wish granted, Godzilla 1998

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Roth posted:

Yep, House rules

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

need that shirt

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

need that shirt

found the link for it if anyone else wanted to cop: https://www.criterion.com/shop/product/69-house-t-shirt

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im like an hour into Speed Racer and this is one of the most excessive films i've ever seen. hell yeah

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Speed Racer is incomprehensibly beautiful. they poured five different genres into a blender along with the entire Photoshop color palette and recorded the blending and came out with something completely riveting. whoever called it a live-action cartoon was completely right but i genuinely think it was more than that. even if the villains were cartoonishly evil, the tension was palpable and the action so over the top i couldn't help but adore it. it's not just brainless though, there's a lot of dope rear end camera shots and framing (i especially really liked the scene where Speed's talking about the past with the evil boss man and the flashbacks flow in behind him while the camera pans past and around him) and the segments like young Speed driving against doodled cars in the beginning really showed the Wachowskis weren't just in this for a paycheck, imo they wanted to genuinely make something flashy and artistic while still respecting the source material, and i think if it came out even three years later there'd be a lot more appreciation for it. i guess some scenes are too gaudy and flashy but this feels like a movie i can rewatch like three different times for three different reasons. laughed at it, felt the drama, John Goodman ftw, and that final race should be put into a museum

also seeming to subvert the trope of "mysterious person is actually someone important who was supposed to be dead" only to subvert that subversion got me lol

9/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the Crank lore knower

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

may the wheel land on horrorheads that want to celebrate october w/ some epic spooky poo poo

picking a non-horror movie should be probatable

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Punished Chuck posted:

Maybe the horror thing can be a separate event, a new thread were everyone can post their favorite horror movie and people try to watch as many picks as they can or they’re interested in, unrelated to this thread and the list etc?

+1, im a pansy who can't do most horror movies but I'd love to check out a few

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

There's definitely Australian horror

it's titled Going Outside

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also watched High Noon tonight, tbh the only other Western i've seen is some of Stagecoach so i can't rlly compare it to other Westerns like other people can. still thought it was pretty good in its own right. really liked how it was carried more by the tension and dialogue than action, and all the action felt deliberate as opposed to for the sake of makin it action-packed. seconding the clock countdown to the train whistle being a really good segment. 7.5/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tommy

this was extremely fuckin weird and i liked, idk, 2/3rds of it? the music was great ofc and i was soypointin at all the guests musicians as a music geek but it's very easy to tell that it was about the music first and a story second. i thought it'd be a lot more about like Tommy's journey to become the world pinball champion than it turned out to be. felt like it started losing a lot of steam after he regained his senses and i wish that happened way later. there was also more than a few scenes that just felt either way too out there or just kinda unnecessary i guess (his pervert relatives, the Frankenstein marriage that i didn't realize was actually literal, world peace via hang glider, his mom bathing in beans seriously wtf lol). i'm glad i watched it since it felt outlandish in some really cool ways otherwise and the ending was wonderfully shot but i don't think i'd do it again. extra half-point for Roger Daltrey looking like a snack tho

6.5/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

elf help book posted:

we need a proper gamer musical

Lin-Manuel Miranda presents the King of Kong

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phantom of the Ocarina

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Forbidden Zone

what the gently caress man. i don't even know what to rate this. a few gags i laughed at (the alphabet song segment got me good) but most of it was just too zany or edgy/risque without being that funny. maybe the humor's just not for me, i dunno. the animation/cut-out stuff was really well made and the actual Oingo Boingo songs were catchy but i just don't even know what else to really say. like videotaped performance art

starbarry clock/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

Tommy

this was extremely fuckin weird and i liked, idk, 2/3rds of it? the music was great ofc and i was soypointin at all the guests musicians as a music geek but it's very easy to tell that it was about the music first and a story second. i thought it'd be a lot more about like Tommy's journey to become the world pinball champion than it turned out to be. felt like it started losing a lot of steam after he regained his senses and i wish that happened way later. there was also more than a few scenes that just felt either way too out there or just kinda unnecessary i guess (his pervert relatives, the Frankenstein marriage that i didn't realize was actually literal, world peace via hang glider, his mom bathing in beans seriously wtf lol). i'm glad i watched it since it felt outlandish in some really cool ways otherwise and the ending was wonderfully shot but i don't think i'd do it again. extra half-point for Roger Daltrey looking like a snack tho

6.5/10

gonna bump this up to a 7.5/10 tbh since i keep thinking back to the better scenes and "Pinball Wizard" has been stuck in my head all week. a movie that lingers

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Pick a new movie already

it's Forbidden Zone again

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

more foreign trash someone is suggesting just to look cultured :rolleyes:

to nearly all of movie club, Malcolm was foreign. it's all about perspective...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that was legit my other pick next to The Master. hell yes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Secret of NIMH

i didnt realize until partway through that i already consumed Don Bluth en masse as a child with Land Before Time. still though, really wish this movie wasn't a generation before me given how whimsical it was. love Bluth's exaggerated and overemotive style, really lends well to making a real life setting seem like a fantasy world. surprisingly dark too, this likely would've hosed me up if i did watch it as a child lol. all in all, really good stuff. 7.5/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

super sweet best pal posted:

NIMH is great and oozing with that classic Don Bluth charm but the magic amulet thing doesn't really work with a story about escaped lab rats.

On the whole, I'd strongly recommend the book for anyone who hasn't read it. It focuses heavily on the rats' origin, the lab escape and the foundations of their philosophy and it's a shame that was reduced to a footnote in the movie.

coming around full circle to just making an IZ book club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Jenny Agutter made this week's pick.

Bacurau - dir. by Juliano Dornelles & Kleber Mendonça Filho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhjqvb60LLw

This film will expire November 27.

Bacurau can be found on the following streaming services.

alright Jenny give me money