Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I saw this thread a couple weeks ago but I didn't jump in because I didn't feel like rewatching The Master.

I watched Malcolm last night. I'm not really a fan of autistic characters in movies and the first third or so of the movie felt kind of mean spirited. I liked the scenes with the remote control robots but it didn't feel like there was a full movie worth of plot. 2/5

I'll watch House after work tonight I've been meaning to check it out for years. I've got a movie in mind if you want to add me to the pick list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I thought House was going to be a so bad it's good movie, but I think it's just really good on it's own merits. All the elements of the movie work really well despite how primitive the special effects are and despite the fact that most of the cast had no acting experience. It has a lot of the same vibes as Suspiria which is one of my favorite horror movies. 5/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I guess I don't really have a strong opinion on The Wrong Guy
3/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Movie and fight club

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Finally dragged myself away from Morrowind long enough to watch The Sword of Doom. It's an amazing movie. I really enjoyed how much of the story was told visually with very sparse dialogue because sometimes trying to keep up with the subtitles in old Japanese dramas distract from really taking in the scenery. I think leaving part of the plot unresolved is an interesting choice and a neat nod to the source material itself never being finished. Ryunosuke is a great villian and I enjoy that the movie doesn't try to make him morally ambiguous even as he tries to justify his need to kill to himself. I like the bit of foreshadowing in the beginning of the movie. The fencing match immediately before Ryunosuke's duel looks like a draw but is won by a thrust to the shoulder. Even as he continues to fight off dozens of men at the inn at the end of the movie he's clearly bleeding out from the wound he received in his shoulder.

5/5

Not sure if I'll get around to watching the other pick.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pale Flower: Great looking movie, but I think they spent so much film on getting these beautiful shots that they forgot to tell an actual story. I assume the pointlessness of everything the main character does is the point of the movie but it's boring to watch a guy just going through the motions.
2/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

This is my second time watching Mandy and I do think I gained a lot from a second viewing. I was sort of sold on the movie being a violent action movie the first time around but you miss a lot of you're just waiting for the action to start. The whole cast does a great job at wordless character interactions not just Cage. I loved the music and visuals but a lot of it felt recycled from the director's previous movie Beyond the Black Rainbow. 4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Gamera-I was expecting a much older movie so I was surprised to see it borrowing plot elements from Jurassic Park. Other than that it just felt like every other kaiju movie I've seen. 3/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fucker posted:

aaaaaaaaaah the french... movie...
the first half and the chase across the metro scene near the end were epic, but as the movie kept going, i realized that it was impossible for it to find a way of having a satisfying conclusion. sure enough, not only is it a boring ending, its retarded as hell too.
i wish they had put as much thought into the story as they put in shooting all the tense scenes

expected more, and it doesnt help that i just watched pale flower, which p0wnz the poo poo out of this
3/5

See I thought Le Samourai was much better than pale flower. The super stylish open builds up the main character as a stoic criminal mastermind which is clearly how he sees himself, but he's living in a drab shitbox apartment and everything he does to try to recover from being witnessed during a hit just makes his situation worse. 5/5

Couldn't find it for free anywhere so I actually rented it off of amazon so this is actually my first time renting a movie in over a decade.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My favorite movie by the Wachowskis

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I watched Hana-Bi this morning. It had some good scenes but the slower scenes with the wife and the flashbacks got too repetitive for my taste. I think I need a break from the heavily stylized slow burn crime dramas. The junkyard owner was my favorite part of the movie. 3/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

https://www.paristheaternyc.com/films/showtimes/?filmId=HO00005068

I was at a showing of Mad Max Fury Road and saw that the same theater was doing a showing of Speed Racer next week. I can't go but I figured I'd share for any other goons in NYC.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Martman posted:

He was great as Robert Maxwell in the Tetris movie, he's excellent at playing over the top slimey evil dudes

He's basically playing Robert Maxwell in this movie so that makes sense.

I haven't seen Speed Racer since it was in theaters and I am no longer a fan of the special effects in this. The races being super cartoony works well, but all the shots of people just being in a room are super flat. It's super obvious that every set in the movie doesn't actually exist. Still even with everything being on a green screen everyone put in a really strong performance and all the action scenes are a lot of fun.

3/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Crank 2

I saw the original in theatres and never got around to watching this one until now. Some of the jokes don't really hold up, but I'm not going to pretend I would have thought they were hilarious in 2009. The relentless pace of the movie keeps any one bad joke from lingering for too long anyways. I think the reason it holds up as well as it does is that most of the comedy comes from the action scenes being ridiculous. Slapstick never goes out of style. I miss when movies had outtakes in the end credits.

3/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No matter what we decide I will be rewatching Killer Klowns From Outer Space

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

High Noon- Really interesting this right after Crank. The editing of the film, the constant shots of the clock ticking, and constant drum beat from the soundtrack make the movie feel every bit as high energy as an action movie even though the first hour of the movie is largely dialogue. The action scenes are a bit simple but feel a lot more real than the typical western of the era. Gary Cooper really sells being dazed from getting sucker punched. AFI says this is the second greatest western of all time after The Searchers, but this is without a doubt the better movie for not having John Wayne.

quote:

Although John Wayne often called the film "un-American" because of its portrayal of townspeople as cowardly, and had passed on the lead role for that reason, when he collected Gary Cooper's Best Actor Oscar on his behalf at the The 25th Annual Academy Awards (1953) he complained that he wasn't offered the part himself. He later teamed up with director Howard Hawks to make Rio Bravo (1959) like one of his own westerns (featuring brave and dutiful citizens) as a response.

5/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fungah! posted:

eric clapton is a fuckin hack

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

starbarry clock posted:

by the way you can watch the original black and white version of forbidden zone on archive.org which i suggest

the one on a bunch of streaming services is a special edition george lucas-esque pile of bullshit with a bunch of digital edits that dont look good

I've only seen the original before, so I think I'm still going to check out the director's cut. They always meant to go back and colorize the film they just didn't have the money.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I forgot about Tommy because I was busy watching random horror movie. I've never cared for The Who but I think Pete Townshend having not nearly as much to say as he thinks he does adds to the charm here. All the performances were great. I especially liked Oliver Reed belting out every line to make up for his lack of range. I loved the costumes they had for Tina Turner and Elton John. A lot of campy fun. I don't think the darker moments were handled well.

4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Forbidden Zone is great as always. I watched the colorized version for the first time and I think the only parts that stood out as poorly done were the parts where they tried to edit out the blackface. I think they colorized it first and then went back a second time for those parts. The rest of it did a great job capturing the look of early color films. I'm always a sucker for throwbacks to old Max Fleischer cartoons. They leaned too hard into being deliberately offensive but overall I think the movie still holds up. I've got to admire the filmmaker's willingness to go broke self financing a passion project that was never even trying to find a wide audience.

4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

Memories of Murder

what a bummer (in the good way)
the stench of failure overhanging the plot is fascinating. we move from the press taking celebratory pictures to protesters outside the station to even children saying everyone knows the cops just beat confessions out of people. our main characters fall apart, and only accomplished in making the lives worse of those around them

I just finished the movie. This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it too.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Just remembered to watch November. I have no clue what I just watched but I enjoyed it. A very visually striking movie.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm reading a plot summary and completely missed that the main character was werewolf

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

book club pick by rodbeard is Crank: High Voltage - The Novelization

Don't blame me for that. I haven't had a pick yet.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Secret of NIMH - I wasn't really invested in the story, but I'm sure I would have liked it if I had grown up with it. I was really impressed with the animation, though. Despite it being their first movie and having a pretty low budget, they really went all out. One stand-out moment for me was a scene of Mrs. Brisby walking and talking with someone where the animators had her constantly climbing over things and having her animation cels appear to be partially obscured behind background elements. It's the kind of scene that is normally kept pretty static to save on time and cost and they did all this extra work to make
it look more dynamic just to show off that they could.

4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just watched Synecdoche NY and loved it. I think it struck a perfect balance between humor and drama. The bizarre atmosphere really keeps it from ever getting too bleak. I feel like I'm going to have to re-watch it soon just to try to pick up more of the little things going on in the background no one ever really comments on. The big stand-out one for me was Sammy in the background of several shots long before he's introduced.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's so many great bits that go by so quickly that you barely have time to process them while you're watching. I liked the part where he was too shy to go to the bathroom in front of the plumber, so he pisses in a sink in front of his family instead.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bacurau-

I'm really glad I went into this movie blind. This was really not the direction I was expecting the movie to go in based on the beginning. The plot feels like a cross between Assault on Precinct 13 and The Most Dangerous Game. Udo Kier is one of those actors that just puts in an amazing performance no matter what the role is.

4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Streets of Fire- I was waiting to see how other people felt about my pick before I posted my review. I love it, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't pretty flawed. Michael Pare has absolutely no charisma. I'm not sure anybody could have given a great performance given the script they were working it, but everyone else seems to be giving it there all. I'm pretty sure they did just literally film the first draft of the screenplay without giving it any thought once they started filming. They wouldn't even let Rick Moranis improvise at all. You end up with a musical action comedy that needs more of all three.

That being said there is a lot to enjoy about this movie. I think it has a good mix of moments that are so bad they're funny and actual good moments where you appreciate what they are going for. The opening scene works great. It's pretty much the one part of the movie that actually lives up to the premise. The music is great. The scene gang rushing the stage to kidnap Ellen and the bandmates trying to fight them off is a lot of fun. Then you have Tom's introduction. He saves his sister's diner by demolishing the entire place and throwing every guy through a different window pane. He then steals a car and drives off like a GTA protagonist.

It never gets back to level of energy of the opening but there's a lot of little things I love I think most people have already touched on. The early 20's female grizzled combat veteran, Tom stopping the tour bus, the random homeless guy the pay to tell them info they already know, Tom punching Ellen before running off to fight a sledgehammer duel.

They close out with an original song by Jim Steinman because they couldn't actually get the rights to the Springsteen song the movie is named after. It really makes me wish they had just had him write a few more songs.

Overall I still recommend it to people despite it's flaws. It's neat seeing all the little things in the movie that have filtered into pop culture by way of getting copied by other more successful works and a bunch of random video games.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah Mann likes to have all the actors train with actual guns and uses extra loud blanks for the added realism. Really solid thriller all the way through. I loved the pairing of the super likeable taxi driver and the cold ruthless killer. 4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nice pick. I caught this once on Turner Classic Movies when I was working in a nursing home.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I see what you're saying. Half the side characters feel like the same stock sitcom character. It's the only real problem with the movie. It's amazing how much world building they cram into 2 hours. There's a bunch of entertaining moments that have nothing to do with the plot, and it still manages to be a half hour shorter than the usual big scifi adventure film. The alien and costume design are great. The effects hold up well, especially for something made outside of Hollywood.

4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Just finished Charley Varrick. A solid plot, but it really suffers from being a PG rated movie when it should have gone for an R.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've neglected to post my reviews for Merry Christmas and Come and See.

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence - I was blown away by this move and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before now. I'm impressed by how many themes they've managed to explore in such a limited setting. I like the soundtrack but it feels a bit out of place in the movie.

Come and See - I enjoyed the beginning of the movie where the soldiers try to lull the boy and his family into a false sense of security. Everything after he gets captured by the nazis is incredibly powerful and some of the most evocative filmmaking of all time. However I just didn't understand the middle of the movie at all. The parts with the girl just drag on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

the structure is very odd, spending a little bit with the mystery and false narratives, and then spending a very long time on the real flashback, but i cannot complain

Yeah I really enjoyed the story, but I don't get why it was set up like a it's going to be a mystery but just immediately shows you what happened.