Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Can you build bumper cars? If so, name it Thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

someone awful. posted:

I dunno if it would fit the wasteland or one of the other zones, but I like the idea of Dr. Prepper soda :v:

I love this :allears:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DarkLich posted:

I love monorails. They're great in airports, theme parks, and as public transit. If a city has a monorail, that city is enriched from it. Whenever I play Cities Skylines, I always build a monorail.

Lyle Lanley account spotted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Junktown Food Court

Junktown is our primary rest stop in the Wasteland. It's nestled in the shadow of a rocky cliff, avoiding the worst of never-ending irradiated winds.

After the aParkalypse Imagineer Consortium meeting, several new attractions were decided upon. The depot was connected to each shop, replacing its refill connection to the main supply harbor. This will save our haulers a lot of time and effort!

Junktown should feel a little bit more cramped and clustered, so the buildings are placed close together.

The construction project is well underway when we are notified of two important events:

- A group of water-attraction enthusiasts have arrived to check out the Megatsunami! This is purely a passive benefit, as long as your queues are setup well to handle it.

- A gang of vandals is destroying objects in the park. This requires a little bit more active attention; Rocky Babydoll, Security chief, can't catch all of them alone.

Fortunately, the park has some very high quality surveillance equipment. One of the visual filters shows us which objects are damaged, so that we can quickly pinpoint the rascals.

These scoundrels only target benches, trashcans, and lamp-posts. Since the first two are useful for guests and their garbage, problems can quickly escalate if vandals are not dealt with.

First, we survey the damage. A bench was split down the middle. Nearby, a trashcan left slightly askew. And who is that, snickering as they run away? GAIL BROWN!

Vandals always wear the same uniform: a backwards ball cap, and a black bandana over their face. Despite this, they're not always easy to spot - lots of people in the park are wearing ball caps. A second vandal is in this picture - can you spot them?

Once a vandal is spotted, we make an example of them. They are immediately banned from the park. Security guards, if they spot a vandal, perform this same action. Begone, GAIL.

When a gang of vandals activates, they can appear anywhere. Each ride is checked individually for any ruffians. As we can see here though, the 'Tidalweebs' visiting Megatsunami are all pure of heart.

The monorail graces us with her beauty.

After all of the rapscallions are dealt with, a satisfying message appears. There will be no more trashcans tipped over this day.

Now is a good time to review one of our visual filters: decoration / immersion. Because several trashcans got destroyed, guests decided to discard their refuse on the ground. As a result, the litter is a horrific sight in our otherwise beautiful park.

With the vandals dealt with, we can turn our sights back towards Junktown.

The thrill ride in the food court is complete. Working title is the Disassembler, but other suggestions are welcome! It sits at a hub of garbage and mine-tracks, shredding anything into scrap.

There aren't any assets for piles of rusty metal in the game, so I had to improvise with rocks and other metal parts. Western and Steampunk themed props do a lot of work here.

We also setup the inventory at the Souvenir Shop, Rad Relics. A lot of the hats aren't thematically appropriate, so I reduce down to the bare essentials: western hats, solar protection, and a lead-foil hat.

The oversized sombrero is banned. That hat is a pain, as it makes it hard to spot adjacent guests beneath the brim - and by proxy, any vandals. Maybe one day we'll find a place to sell the remaining items.

At this point, Junktown is fully functional! Services are firing on all cylinders, and guests are starting to arrive in greater numbers.

The Dr Prepper sign turned out pretty well, but it'll need to be equipped with lights at some point.

Atomic Dogs operates out of a rusted diner. No one questions the origin of the meat.

Eventually, I'd like to grow Junktown to about double this size. We depart for now, heading towards other Wasteland destinations. When we return though, expect more cliffside facades with a Wild Mouse coaster weaving through it.

---

Coming up next, we move into other sections of the Wasteland. In the desert, we will have some bumper cars and go-carts, but we also need some kind of coaster as the main attraction. Something dedicated to the threat of nuclear fire.

:dukedog: Any ideas from the thread? :dukedog:

I'm percolating something involving a coaster weaving through a uranium mine or unexploded warheads, but maybe we can spice that up.

Also, we expand the staff and add more volunteer posters!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

By popular demand posted:

I like that and I also would like to suggest adding an energy drink, maybe Fissile Fuel?

Fissile Fuel is clever. If we end up needing another food court in the Wasteland, you can expect an energy drink factory for this.

Poil posted:

Duelling coasters are really cool. An expansion pack for the first Roller Coaster Tycoon had this park with three massive duelling ones. I love that map, if you sold the coasters you had a ton of money to build up your own with. :v:

It felt very blasphemous, deleting the Three Wise Monkeys coasters for a quick payout. You are brave!

Asehujiko posted:

As for rides to put in Junktown, the existing industrial theming of the Clockwork could be extended to cover the side of the cliff face with some abandoned mining infrastructure, that the town's construction materials are salvaged from. A mine train(alternative: minecarts themed wild mouse) coaster is a common staple, or a ghost train ride for smaller scale. Or some other flat rides with supports mainly on one side could have them integrated into the cliff face such as the Turbine.

Another common theme in post-apocalyptic deserts is that they're dried up seas, one of the beached wrecks could be represented by a swinging ship.

Tried this concept with the Clockwork but it was a bit unwieldy. Kept the mining infrastructure though! You can 100% expect a Wild Mouse to come through this area later on.

The idea of a fried up sea is really smart too, and could be joined by a desiccated boardwalk and its rides.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can you build bumper cars? If so, name it Thunderdome.

Bumper Cars are coming soon! I'll try my best to build a Thunderdome too~

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Drag Racer style coaster for ICBM representation.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
If you're doing a nuclear armageddon-themed coaster, you've gotta give Major Kong his due. Also make it so that the initial drop is into the ground and into a tunnel, with the tunnel entrance being maybe like a nuclear fallout shelter in an otherwise lush and green idealized American suburb(you'd have to block it from view from the ground level to preserve the overall theming of the area) and then you emerge into the blasted hellscape outside. If it's possible, maybe make the coaster stop for a moment before the first drop, to build a sense of dread. After that it ought to be all fast all the time though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ICBM Burger is probably going too far but I find it amusing. Make sure to have plenty of lavatory space though.

"ICBM, Home of the original Intercontinental Cornbread Burger Muffin! Try the Kiloton Coleslaw! And wash it all down with a refreshing Isotope Ice Tea!"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's beautiful. :allears: dang, it's fun to watch this all come together!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
For a nuke themed coaster two things spring to mind:

One would be a 90's Premier Rides launched coaster with a spagetti bowl layout such as Poltergeist representing an atomic nucleus. This is a relatively small layout and could be an indoor ride themed to a nuclear research center and contain a small pre-launch dark ride section with some references to the war room set from Dr. Strangelove.

The other is to do what some US parks do with their gigacoasters and put the height in feet in the name: Intimidator 305 and Fury 325. For our park that number would be 239, a reference to Plutonium-239, the isotope most commonly used in nuclear weapons. If my remember the height conversions well , this would be 27¼ or 27½ of Parkitect's height units. Though both of these have traditional chain lifts, I think it would be befitting for a coaster about missiles to have a launch track instead and have it's highest point be a taller version of Cheetah Hunt's windcatcher tower. Let's call ours "mushroom cloud top hat". Add some smoke/fog projectors and lights along the supports so the wasteland can be bathed in an ominous orange glow straight out of a Beksiński painting.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Go with a mostly underground coaster and theme it around raiding a fallout shelter/vault/cooler.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible to recolor the log flume water to delicious toxic/radiation green?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The term "After Midnight" is bumping around in my head. Referring to the doomsday clock, naturally.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I found the Vandal!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Asehujiko posted:

One would be a 90's Premier Rides launched coaster with a spagetti bowl layout such as Poltergeist representing an atomic nucleus. This is a relatively small layout and could be an indoor ride themed to a nuclear research center and contain a small pre-launch dark ride section with some references to the war room set from Dr. Strangelove.

The other is to do what some US parks do with their gigacoasters and put the height in feet in the name: Intimidator 305 and Fury 325. For our park that number would be 239, a reference to Plutonium-239, the isotope most commonly used in nuclear weapons. If my remember the height conversions well , this would be 27¼ or 27½ of Parkitect's height units. Though both of these have traditional chain lifts, I think it would be befitting for a coaster about missiles to have a launch track instead and have it's highest point be a taller version of Cheetah Hunt's windcatcher tower. Let's call ours "mushroom cloud top hat". Add some smoke/fog projectors and lights along the supports so the wasteland can be bathed in an ominous orange glow straight out of a Beksiński painting.

Perhaps a kids coaster could be Cobolt 60?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This looks great. Can we get a Birds Eye view of the entire park in the next update? Just want to see how it all fits together.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well since one apocalypse will be the night of the Lepus, we should have some bunny security. Sign me up as a security guard

Bunny O'Doom strolls through Junktown, checking oversized taco-hats and leadfoil caps for contraband.

MagusofStars posted:

Dear Park Management:
I have been reading some interesting advertisements about your new theme park and would enjoy getting in on the ground floor of attending of your fine establishment as a cheery and well-funded guest.

Signed,
Magus Starsia

Magus has made several purchases - souvenirs, park maps, rides - and still has nearly a hundred smackaroos. If only this park was as well funded!

Volmarias posted:

Dwarf Guest me, please!

I noticed Vol doing everything they could to stop from retching. Oops, the zombie chicken shack is giving people food poisoning! Let's hire a few janitors and check up later.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Folks these are some amazing ideas with the nuclear coaster. I'll combine as many of them as I can.

Red_Fred posted:

This looks great. Can we get a Birds Eye view of the entire park in the next update? Just want to see how it all fits together.

You betcha!

By popular demand posted:

ICBM Burger is probably going too far but I find it amusing. Make sure to have plenty of lavatory space though.

"ICBM, Home of the original Intercontinental Cornbread Burger Muffin! Try the Kiloton Coleslaw! And wash it all down with a refreshing Isotope Ice Tea!"

This makes me wish that food stalls had more options for side dishes. Strangely, Hamburgers are the only ones that sell fries as a second option.

Poil posted:

Is it possible to recolor the log flume water to delicious toxic/radiation green?

Waterfalls and standing water can definitely be dyed, not sure about the log flume water though. I like where you're going with this though!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah this game definitely suffers from a lack of customization.
Hopefully it will be a big enough success to drive the development of more open sequels.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Wasteland Expansion

Junktown is doing well, with plenty of folks enjoying their dusty souvenirs. There's only one real attraction up here though, so unless people are eating, there's not much of a draw to visit the area.

As suggested in the thread, some bumper cars would be a good fit for the raider-contested wastelands. Let's put it near the entrance, with plenty of room for decoration!

Since this area should resemble the shriveled husk of a modern city, we're going to include some representations of the suburban hellscape. In this case, a car dealership!

Car dealerships, by virtue of being a show room, usually have plenty of windows on all sides. This pairs well for our ride, since we want to watch our guests crash into each other inside. Bumper Car stations also have a distorted, artsy glass roof. Sections of the car dealership's roof are intentionally distressed so can mix it into the design.

We embellish with details and promotional designs, and then open Destruction Dodgems to the park! Dodgems is the original name for this type of ride, since the goal was to avoid being smashed by others. That name was abandoned when people realized it was a lot more fun to obliterate each other. Here it is presented with some good ol' wordplay, leaning on the more recognizable "Destruction Derby".

Thunderdome was suggested as a name, but I'm avoiding any overt references. I'll see if I can build a Thunderdome in the area eventually though!

This is also a good time to review the menu for text signs! When placing a sign, you can choose size, fore & background colors, and the font. There's only about a dozen font choices, but I'm surprised by how much mileage I've gotten from them.

Outside of our Wasteland Monorail stop, we build another information kiosk. The plan is to build one of these next to each of the four monorail stations; any arriving guests are able to quickly get their bearings if needed.

We also start to build the first building in the Sunken City. Part of the Wasteland is dedicated to rising sea levels, and we'll have a few rides to explore those themes.

This is the 4D Cinema. Guests will watch a 3D movie while physical effects occur around them. This might be moving chairs, fog machines, temperature changes, and such.

4D cinemas also let you choose from a list of films. The only mechanical difference between films are their length, which affects the overall excitement rating. Longer films are more fun. This also allows park managers to have up to four different 4D cinema experiences in the park at the same time, if they really wanted to.

After relocating the cinema a couple of times, we eventually build a structure around it. Since this area will have some high density buildings in it, I opt for a brick building / tenement architecture to embrace the downtown feel.

Here's a glimpse into the prop building menu too. If you're just sticking with walls and borders, buildings will start looking very samey, with no little-to-no visual distinction beyond color. Shapes are a great way to add some definition. You'll see me using them extensively through-out any project.

With a few more finishing touches, the cinema building is complete. Some walkways weave through the building, guiding guests to the roof, the cinema queue, and towards future destinations in the Sunken City. There's even a bathroom inside!

The game also lets you build photo spots for guests. One is placed on the roof of the building, as this should eventually be quite a scenic view.

Parts of the 4D Cinema ride are sticking through the building unfortunately, but we can use that to our advantage! I'll make a sign for the cinema in the near future.

:camera6: Any ideas for the name of this theater, or films on the marquee sign? :camera6:

Let's also take a look at the entire park so far! The park is too big to fit into the max zoom range, so I'll split it between screenshots.

Some spots are intentionally left blank for now. The first goal is to establish each district of the park, enabling guests to travel around freely and always have amenities within a short distance. Once that's complete, we will return to each section of the park to fill in more attractions!

---

Coming up next, we add one or two more rides to wrap up the Wasteland's groundbreaking - including our nuclear coaster!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jaws 3D [or knockoff] on the theater sign? :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sinemas of the father

Also, these look phenomenal, excellent job making these!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Nuclear Launch Detected

The Sunken City is our first stop today. We need to place a thrill ride, something to balance out the cinema. The silver screen is relatively boring, except for the wildfire scenes during the 4D experience of An Inconvenient Truth.

Seems like a great spot for our first TOWER DROP ride! There are three types in this game - and today we are using a launch version. When placing these, builders are able to adjust the height of the ride. The taller the tower, the greater the excitement (and intensity). It's also more expensive.

Let's aim for something with middle of the road intensity.

Around the tower station, a high-density office building is constructed. It'll have lots of windows, as we want to spot the riders quickly zipping between floors.

This particular building has two spires, for reasons that will soon become clear. Wooden bridges will connect the buildings in the Sunken City, allowing guests to traverse safely.

For the idea behind this attraction, I'll need to download a mod: Transform Anarchy

The mod allows the player to rotate props with precision placement. It's pretty handy, but I'll probably only use it when I don't have another tool in my kit.

I want the main spire - around the shaft of the ride - to be leaning and decrepit, so its walls are slightly adjusted to rest against the adjacent tower.

After some paint touchups and a few more doodads, the leaning tower is complete. It makes for a fitting landmark for a city washed away by time.

One of my favorite drop rides was the Tower of Terror at MGM Disney Florida. Moreso than any other tower drop ride I've been on, this one had a whole experience attached. You creeped through a Twilight Zone hotel before falling to your doom.

I want this to have a similar level of immersion. Guests climb through a decaying office tower, only for it to suddenly shift beneath their feet. They tumble through the collapsing skyscraper before safely arriving at the bottom.

This ride is currently unnamed, so chime in if you've got any ideas!

We will visit another type of tower ride when we eventually reach the Armageddon District, with "Fall from Grace"

Across the highway, we start on the main attraction of the Wasteland. This one combines multiple ideas from the thread, but major props to this post:

Asehujiko posted:

For our nuclear war themed ride, we send our guest skyward, not unlike an ICBM.

This is a hydraulically launched coaster. The train arrives at a segment of tracks that will prep it to be launched. Once hooked in, riders are launched into the sky over a top-hat feature. Our drop is a pleasant 239 (rounded up). The coaster has no shortage of options for different track styles and features, especially compared to the wooden one built previously.

After the drop, riders emerge into our mushroom cloud monument. This is styled after a windcatcher tower, though it's probably way too high of an elevation to work in the real world.

edit: after posting, I realized that this screenshot is displaying lateral G's, not Airtime (as explained in the strikeout below). Lateral G-force is a measure of how much you're jerking riders to the left-and-right. Dive into a non-banked turn too fast, and you exert a lot of force on the riders and their poor bones. In this example, I'm confirming that we do not exceed 1g, so that the coaster isn't excessively intense.

Air time is an important quality of any coaster. The more you provide to your riders, the higher the excitement rating of the coaster, and the more you can charge for it.

The game provides an airtime overlay, among others, so you can measure this out as you build the coaster.

After the windcatcher tower, the train arrives at the last segment - the fallout. This is a bit more chaotic than the previous segments, but we still have plenty of speed to take us through those turns.

Too much speed, in fact! Once the coaster is complete, our first test runs gave us an intensity rating of >90. This is generally bad, as it's less approachable to many guests. Anything past 100 is usually a barren ride.

I try troubleshooting the intensity for a bit, but it's hard to get it below 90 without some major changes. Guests seem to love it though, so we will keep it as is. As long as not every coaster is in this range, we can spare a couple for the extremists.

It now serves an important aesthetic purpose in the Wastelands. Once we return to this district, we'll have a lot of great real estate under the glow of the mushroom cloud.

Segments of coaster track can be painted individually, so we take advantage of that for our detonation.

The launch section of the coaster is decorated. Riders are treated to an idyllic suburban neighborhood, along with their white picket fences. They're launched suddenly, racing alongside missiles.

After coursing through the explosion, they face only its desolation. Riders zoom above burnt-out buildings and pools of irradiated water.

Sludge waterfalls from the test facility might be gratuitous, but that's what theme parks are all about. Behold, Plutonium-239! Dedicated to the apocalypse of nuclear war.

Since both the tower drop and coaster cause a lot of nausea, our guests are treated to a drug store nearby. Both a first aid station and a toilet are located inside. Our friend Hydrogen makes an appearance.

That wraps up the Wasteland for now! We'll come back eventually to build the raider-infested airbase and their go-kart track.

---

Coming up next, we cruise through the volcanic area. That'll let us reach the Lost Future district, where we build our next monorail stop. Assuming the aliens and machine uprisings don't stop us first.

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 31, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The names "BlastOff" and "Escape Velocity" come to mind.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

I want this to have a similar level of immersion. Guests climb through a decaying office tower, only for it to suddenly shift beneath their feet. They tumble through the collapsing skyscraper before safely arriving at the bottom.

This ride is currently unnamed, so chime in if you've got any ideas!

Tribute.wmv

Or I guess just "The 9/11 experience" if you want to be more straightforward about it.

Alternately,

The Fall of Man
I Can See Where I Parked From Here
Top Men
Future Shock
The Importance Of Regular Maintenance
Urban Exploration

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 31, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Collapse Of Civilization

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Volmarias posted:

Tribute.wmv

Or I guess just "The 9/11 experience" if you want to be more straightforward about it.

// dont forget to name this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can you build a zip line in the game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Fall of Man

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can you build a zip line in the game

Afraid not. There are a few varieties of suspended coasters, but they all involve strapping someone into a train car.

I could build a faux zip line too, it just wouldn't be functional. Entertaining all ideas though!

Volmarias posted:

Tribute.wmv

Alternately,

The Fall of Man

Cythereal posted:

The Fall of Man

Commander Keene posted:

The Collapse Of Civilization

Fall of Man is an A+ suggestion. The only issue is that we'll have a "Fall from Grace" ride once we get to the biblical section of the park, and I want to avoid duplicating words too frequently in attractions.

I like how Commander Keene is thinking though, it got me considering Urban Decay or Societal Collapse too. Will decide in an upcoming update!

tribute.wmv is now featured on the cinema marquee.

And big thanks for all the suggestions on the park so far. Creative games are always much more rewarding when you've got this many sources of inspiration!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Heights of Hubris? (or some variation thereof)

This is a really fun thread, thanks so much! Getting some powerful RCT nostalgia, in a good way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
"A Foundation of Sand"

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Geothermal Zone

Before the depart the Wasteland, we should check out the upgraded 4D Cinema ride! The marquee is easy enough to update, so if anyone else has movies or parodies to recommend, we'll get them added~

For the theatre itself, we go with a suggestion from one of the park staff, Vol Marias. Cinemas of the Father was the best fit for our climate change-inspired sunken city. Sinemas was suggested, but it created painful reminders of a certain senator.

As for the tower drop, I'll get a sign created for that attraction in a future pass. One of the mods screwed up and the architecture is wonky (see final screenshot in last post), so I'll need to go back and fix that later.

Now let's head to our next district destination, the volcanic region. This will be smaller than some of the other districts, with only a few rides available.

Despite the size, it still needs a food court. Guests that aren't branching into the Wasteland will need some dining options as well! To support some new rest stops, we expand the staff path from the existing depot that feeds Junktown.

Our first shop appears! I needed to figure out the zones architecture a bit, so I experimented with a pizza parlor. Since the area includes superheated geysers and lava pools, I went with a reinforced metal appearance. Maybe we can half bury some of the buildings in a rockslide.

The pizza sign is made with rocks, vines, burial mounds, and giant cookie decorations.

The first attraction in this zone is going to be a water ride: the River Rapids!. These rides are actually exceedingly dangerous in real life, with several deaths attributed to them. We will aim for greater heights by adding lava.

River rapids function like other track rides, but they've got quite a few unique features to play with.

Here, we see several of those features in action. After a drop, we widen the track with an S-bend. The next area has a waterfall, along with bumpers to make sure that guests have a better chance of getting splashed by it.

Sections can also be designated for rapids, which will rock the boat and its riders. You can see the water churning at a few bends, thanks to the subaquatic machinery making those rapids.

The build sticks to a basic figure-8, with plenty of underground sections for our seismic event. Plenty of space for us to utilize each of the unique features a few times though.

Rapids boats move pretty slow, so even though the track doesn't look too big, it's going to be a lengthy ride. Rides start losing excitement rating after about 2 minutes on average, so we don't want the duration to go much higher than that.

With the track complete, we can turn our eyes to decoration! The first bit of lava is added to the park, which increases our insurance premiums substantially.

While there are some waterfall decorations that we could recolor to look like molten rock, it would be flowing far too fast. Instead of using those, I turn to some other doodads. I experiment with both peppermints and cake layer assets, which have a slight sheen to them. We end up going with cake layers, which can be cascaded to appear as dripping lava.

The patterns are repeated a couple of times around the area, along with some lingering alpine groves. Fallen logs are also placed to resemble a mudslide, but the game was finicky about letting me place them too close to the ride. Fortunately, rocks had no such restrictions, and are now masking a lot of the bumpers placed on the ride.

River Rapids are pretty gentle rides, so I wanted this to feel like the prelude to a mega eruption. In the future, we will have a volcanic rollercoaster flying through this region too. As such, the use of lava here is pretty minimal; I don't want it to exceed the main attraction, after all!

At the ride entrance, we have a firewatch tower as the local landmark. Basalt columns were one of the available assets, so I made use of them near the base of this hill. These geological features are usually found at the base of volcanic areas, so it didn't make sense to include them through-out the ride.

With that, our River Rapids is opened to guests! It doesn't have a name yet, but let me know your suggestions. Scalding Caldera? Boiling Point? Once we figure that out, I'll add the sign above the station.

We're also inching closer to the snowy district, the Lost Future. The blue square is roughly where I'm targeting the next stop of our monorail.

:flame: Before we get there though, we need some suggestions from the thread! :flame:

For the green box, we need a drink stall and a sweets store. List of shops can be found in this post. Feel free to get creative with the concepts too, especially since we're only limited to 4 drink options. We can always dress up a hot drinks stall to look like a cocktail bar, for example!

In the orange box, we will build a flat thrill ride for the hot zone. Long term, we will revisit the area to build a suspended coaster entrance nearby. List of flat rides can be found in this post

Lastly, the yellow box will include our crater coaster. That's still several updates a way, but let me know your thoughts on how much we should deface the asteroid impact!

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 3, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

the pizza sign is made with WHAT?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Name the river rapids Pyroclastic Flow

Also why are river rapids rides so dangerous?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I must be a weirdo but I've always found pepperoni on pizza like that to look so unappetizing that I can't bring myself to ever eating it. :v:

The river rapids look very good.

Badger of Basra posted:

Oh, good name.

My guess would be that they can tip over.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

gently caress, can't top this one.

For the sweets, how about Big Rock Candy Mountain?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A volcanic eruption themed coaster? If I don't suggest an underground launch that then erupts out of the volcano, I would be deeply ashamed of myself.

As for sweets? Volcanic rock candy could be fun. And maybe some molten hot chocolate to drink with it.

E: I don't know how many of the fatalities were caused by this, but I remember a couple stories of people getting crushed by those sweet revolving stations they like to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Pyroclastic flows are mostly ash/rocks/gas, for a river rapids ride I'd go with Lahar.

Badger of Basra posted:

Water being water, basically. Sometimes the waves behave weirdly and tip over a raft.

There's another thing that makes them problematic, namely their ridiculous energy consumption for continuously pumping tons and tons of water up a hill.

Piraña(source in Dutch, sadly no English available) at Efteling is the nearest one that I'm familiar with and it uses a set of four 300KW pumps. For comparison, Xpress: Platform 13(also in Dutch) at Walibi Holland is the nearest roller coaster with published energy consumption and that one averages out to 97KW if it's launching trains at it's maximum theoretical capacity. A difference of an order of magnitude!

Side note: River rapids are worse than most other rides but parking lots full of distracted drivers fumbling with their navigation app/tickets/children in the back/etc kill more people than everything else inside the park gates combined. I guess the moral here is that you should get to the park by train if you can and also ride things that have trains once you're there.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 3, 2023