Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I recently stopped working as a manager in dining at senior living homes to working at the county health and human services office as a program coordinator. I've been told to expect a ton of red tape but does anyone have any tips on how to succeed in this new environment? My job has to do with budgeting and communication in combating addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I was in a state public laboratory setting as a manager, so your mileage may vary, but here are the top three and bottom three things about working in that environment

1. You will encounter people who very strongly believe in the mission and are enthusiastic about the work and more importantly improving processes. These people are awesome and frequently the smartest in the building. They are also the people who will help you in a jam.

2. Public health was by far and away the most rewarding work I've done in my life. On days when I could actually do lab work, I got to help real people who were marginalized by the system. It kicked rear end

3. If you are marginally competent, barring weird program cuts (or outright closures) you will be unfireable. It is a forever job with terrible pay but pretty decent benefits.

Bottom
1. The other 99% of people you work with will be unpleasant, horrific shitbags who refuse to change anything and will do everything in their power to shirk. They, like you, are unfireable. If they are old and you think they will retire, they won't

2. There is no money. Not just in your paycheck but also in the budget. What little there is will be horribly mismanaged. It is your job to unfuck the little sphere of influence you have access to

3. There is typically very little upward mobility. You will likely never be promoted or given significant raises but over time you will be given more work to compensate for the shitbags in (1)

Pm me if you have specific questions or want to chat, but again your program will look different than mine

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Thanks! I'll let you know!