Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Virtually zero marketing is kinda cool tbh.

anyways,
https://tiermaker.com/create/hayaomiyazakifilms-20937

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

noooo I forgot a thread tag

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

bees x1000 posted:

Live with your shame

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
nausicaa is S, kiki's and castle of cagliostro and spirited away are A. your tag is correct it would seem

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

nausicaa is S, kiki's and castle of cagliostro and spirited away are A. your tag is correct it would seem

porco rosso is S, as is mononoke. die, troll

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and hell, totoro is an A and spirited away is an S too. your words are as empty as your soul!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I bought a translation of the book it's based on when this was announced, need to read it before the movie comes west. I'm really interested in it even with basically no marketing, The stuff Miyazaki has said about intending for it to be a message for his grandchildren after he's gone makes it sound like he's putting everything he's got into it. Particularly with it being his last movie and all, I know all the jokes about him constantly unretiring but the guy's 82.

I know Howl being that low might be controversial but I don't know, didn't click with me like it did most people I guess. Could do with a rewatch, I've only seen it once and I usually appreciate Ghibli films more on a rewatch. A lot of the A and A+ got moved back and forth between the two tiers too but I just had to call it at some point.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

porco rosso is S, as is mononoke. die, troll

why are you fighting me?????????? op's the piece of poo poo!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

I bought a translation of the book it's based on when this was announced, need to read it before the movie comes west. I'm really interested in it even with basically no marketing, The stuff Miyazaki has said about intending for it to be a message for his grandchildren after he's gone makes it sound like he's putting everything he's got into it. Particularly with it being his last movie and all, I know all the jokes about him constantly unretiring but the guy's 82.

I know Howl being that low might be controversial but I don't know, didn't click with me like it did most people I guess. Could do with a rewatch, I've only seen it once and I usually appreciate Ghibli films more on a rewatch. A lot of the A and A+ got moved back and forth between the two tiers too but I just had to call it at some point.

i'm probably unfair to howl's moving castle because i odnt like christian bale as a vocal performer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

youre right. kill the op and try again!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Fungah! posted:

youre right. kill the op and try again!

opinions are only valid when submitted as tiermaker images, I don't make the rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm probably unfair to howl's moving castle because i odnt like christian bale as a vocal performer

listening to the dub. classic noob error. qwantz!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

listening to the dub. classic noob error. qwantz!

I actually really like Ghibli dubs. They always get big celebrities that don’t normally do voice work which is usually a recipe for disaster but somehow they almost always pull it off. Apparently the actors actually have the original Japanese movie with them in the booth for playback instead of just going off the script which I don’t think is all that common in dub work. It’s not one of their more popular movies but The Cat Returns has Peter Boyle and Tim Curry in its dub casts and they’re both a lot of fun in it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm a subs guy but we watch kid-friendly Ghibli in English because my boy has a hard enough time with speech without throwing Japanese into the mix. The Disney Totoro dub in particular is excellent.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Recently rewatched Totoro, honestly think it has a claim to greatest movie of all time 💅 but I still need to see a bunch of other Ghibli movies first to judge

Forget if I posted this in Iz before but I also really enjoyed this article about Miyazaki, though probably nothing you don’t already know if you’re a ghibli buff

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/14/magazine/hayao-miyazaki-ghibli-park.html

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if the dub affects your tier list you should be on an episode of will it blend

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

If we’re talking all Ghibli films and not just the ones directed by Miyazaki, then Whisper of the Heart and Arrietty are my two favorites that don’t get mentioned that often. Whisper of the Heart has just insane animation and detail. As for Arrietty, I know the sick kid in the movie is a lame-o, but I’ve always been a sucker for anything like The Borrowers.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

thinking about how a good portion of Rankin Bass animation is proto-Ghibli

Hobbit 1977 is good and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Finally someone gets it right

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Yup

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Joe hisashi is godly.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
princess mononoke was the first anime film & ghibli movie i ever saw and i love it so much.

my morning jackass posted:

Joe hisashi is godly.

fr, i listen to the legend of ashitaka while i study and its so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3bkiwU5XQ

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Wind Rises is the best, sorry folks but it’s the truth

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kikis my fav of the bunch

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I’m sure there are plot synopses and maybe even cam footage out there now, but I am going to stay in the dark as Ghibli intended. Just waiting for an NA release date.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Totoro is my favorite Miyazaki, my favorite Ghibli, and generally one of my favorite movies of all time, maybe even #1 but I’m bad at picking out just one favorite and always have a cloud of like 5 movies that are roughly collectively my favorite.

For the non-Miyazaki stuff, When Marnie Was There is my favorite and was my favorite Ghibli overall until I finally saw Totoro. I never hear anyone talk about it which is a shame, it’s the same “awkward loner finally finds someone she can be herself with” story that’s been done a million times (with a magic twist of course, but fundamentally that’s what it is) but it feels a lot more honest than most of those are and it really resonated with me in a way that very few movies do.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My favorite Ghibli is Castle in the Sky, which never really gets the respect it deserves imo. Even the English dub is really good. Mark Hamill is great as the villain.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Punished Chuck posted:

I actually really like Ghibli dubs. They always get big celebrities that don’t normally do voice work which is usually a recipe for disaster but somehow they almost always pull it off. Apparently the actors actually have the original Japanese movie with them in the booth for playback instead of just going off the script which I don’t think is all that common in dub work. It’s not one of their more popular movies but The Cat Returns has Peter Boyle and Tim Curry in its dub casts and they’re both a lot of fun in it.

Liam Neeson and his big rear end wife ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Poppers posted:

Liam Neeson and his big rear end wife ftw

His exasperated line reading of “obey your father!” has been stuck in my head since I first saw it

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Punished Chuck posted:

His exasperated line reading of “obey your father!” has been stuck in my head since I first saw it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvqpnp7H4sE

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Only Yesterday is my favorite out of the Takahata I've seen. More gentle films about depressed office drones in their late 20s please.

I hear the new Ghibli movie is good, still waiting on a US theater date from GKIDS.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My local theater is showing Ghibli movies all summer and I'm gonna see Mononoke on Sunday. Very excited. Never seen a Miyazaki on the big screen.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

Only Yesterday is my favorite out of the Takahata I've seen. More gentle films about depressed office drones in their late 20s please.

I hear the new Ghibli movie is good, still waiting on a US theater date from GKIDS.

why do you hate that cool pig

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Drunkboxer posted:

why do you hate that cool pig

Nothing wrong with the pig. I think the mood of the movie just didn't click for me at all. I should give it another try, I saw Mononoke again last night and I think it's better than I remembered.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

Nothing wrong with the pig. I think the mood of the movie just didn't click for me at all. I should give it another try, I saw Mononoke again last night and I think it's better than I remembered.

I feel like Ghibli movies always get better on a rewatch, there’s so many new things you notice every time. There was a while a couple years back where I was going through a rough time mentally and rewatching Totoro on a daily basis because it always cheered me up, and every day I’d notice some cute little detail or background moment I’d never noticed on previous watches no matter how many times I did it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Punished Chuck posted:

I feel like Ghibli movies always get better on a rewatch, there’s so many new things you notice every time. There was a while a couple years back where I was going through a rough time mentally and rewatching Totoro on a daily basis because it always cheered me up, and every day I’d notice some cute little detail or background moment I’d never noticed on previous watches no matter how many times I did it.

It would be a worthwhile project for me to do a full Miyazaki directorial work rewatch and retier. Release order would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

alright i rewatched all of them in release order. major takeaways are that theyre all really loving good movies i just dont connect with all of them. howls is much better than i remembered and porco rosso has plenty going on it just doesnt punch me in the face like my favorites

this rewatch was with the dub for everything. highly recommend watching mononoke with the dub for the opening monologue by the arbiter alone. all of the dubs are great honestly

really look forward to the new one being available here