Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I bought a translation of the book it's based on when this was announced, need to read it before the movie comes west. I'm really interested in it even with basically no marketing, The stuff Miyazaki has said about intending for it to be a message for his grandchildren after he's gone makes it sound like he's putting everything he's got into it. Particularly with it being his last movie and all, I know all the jokes about him constantly unretiring but the guy's 82.

I know Howl being that low might be controversial but I don't know, didn't click with me like it did most people I guess. Could do with a rewatch, I've only seen it once and I usually appreciate Ghibli films more on a rewatch. A lot of the A and A+ got moved back and forth between the two tiers too but I just had to call it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

listening to the dub. classic noob error. qwantz!

I actually really like Ghibli dubs. They always get big celebrities that don’t normally do voice work which is usually a recipe for disaster but somehow they almost always pull it off. Apparently the actors actually have the original Japanese movie with them in the booth for playback instead of just going off the script which I don’t think is all that common in dub work. It’s not one of their more popular movies but The Cat Returns has Peter Boyle and Tim Curry in its dub casts and they’re both a lot of fun in it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Totoro is my favorite Miyazaki, my favorite Ghibli, and generally one of my favorite movies of all time, maybe even #1 but I’m bad at picking out just one favorite and always have a cloud of like 5 movies that are roughly collectively my favorite.

For the non-Miyazaki stuff, When Marnie Was There is my favorite and was my favorite Ghibli overall until I finally saw Totoro. I never hear anyone talk about it which is a shame, it’s the same “awkward loner finally finds someone she can be herself with” story that’s been done a million times (with a magic twist of course, but fundamentally that’s what it is) but it feels a lot more honest than most of those are and it really resonated with me in a way that very few movies do.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Poppers posted:

Liam Neeson and his big rear end wife ftw

His exasperated line reading of “obey your father!” has been stuck in my head since I first saw it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

Nothing wrong with the pig. I think the mood of the movie just didn't click for me at all. I should give it another try, I saw Mononoke again last night and I think it's better than I remembered.

I feel like Ghibli movies always get better on a rewatch, there’s so many new things you notice every time. There was a while a couple years back where I was going through a rough time mentally and rewatching Totoro on a daily basis because it always cheered me up, and every day I’d notice some cute little detail or background moment I’d never noticed on previous watches no matter how many times I did it.