Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Only Yesterday is my favorite out of the Takahata I've seen. More gentle films about depressed office drones in their late 20s please.

I hear the new Ghibli movie is good, still waiting on a US theater date from GKIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Drunkboxer posted:

why do you hate that cool pig

Nothing wrong with the pig. I think the mood of the movie just didn't click for me at all. I should give it another try, I saw Mononoke again last night and I think it's better than I remembered.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Punished Chuck posted:

I feel like Ghibli movies always get better on a rewatch, there’s so many new things you notice every time. There was a while a couple years back where I was going through a rough time mentally and rewatching Totoro on a daily basis because it always cheered me up, and every day I’d notice some cute little detail or background moment I’d never noticed on previous watches no matter how many times I did it.

It would be a worthwhile project for me to do a full Miyazaki directorial work rewatch and retier. Release order would be fun.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

alright i rewatched all of them in release order. major takeaways are that theyre all really loving good movies i just dont connect with all of them. howls is much better than i remembered and porco rosso has plenty going on it just doesnt punch me in the face like my favorites

this rewatch was with the dub for everything. highly recommend watching mononoke with the dub for the opening monologue by the arbiter alone. all of the dubs are great honestly

really look forward to the new one being available here