Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I grew up in chicago, which against all odds is full of periodic cicadas and annual fireflies. but i've spe nt most of my life in the pnw and there are no fireflies ever. Even japan, which is super pacific and northwestern, has fireflies and cicadas. seems pretty hosed up if you ask me.

please use this thread to talk about how cool are fireflies and I guess cicadas if that's what yore into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They're extinct

too cold

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They flew elsewhere OP.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they left and aren't coming back, they left the following note

Take my love, take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free,
You can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black,
Tell them I ain't comin back.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Due to the increasing danger of forest fires we had to exterminate all of them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You would not believe your eyes if ten million fireflies lit up the world as you fell asleep.

What I'm getting at is you're a firefly racist trying to ignore the local populace. Shame OP, shame.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Fireflies spend their first year or two underground, where they are subjected to pesticides and fertilizers and urban sprawl

Tl;Dr version: humans

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have only seen them in places where it is hot and humid in the summer. summers in the pacific northwest are not very humid.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Fireflies spend their first year or two underground, where they are subjected to pesticides and fertilizers and urban sprawl

Tl;Dr version: humans

fireflies are common on the east coast, where urban sprawl, pesticides and fertilizers, and humans are just as common as in the pnw. ive seen them even in the middle of nyc.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fireflies and squatch have beef.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Earwicker posted:

i have only seen them in places where it is hot and humid in the summer. summers in the pacific northwest are not very humid.

fireflies are common on the east coast, where urban sprawl, pesticides and fertilizers, and humans are just as common as in the pnw. ive seen them even in the middle of nyc.

yeah, there are plot holes heere

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are no thunderstorms up there either, it's bullshit.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I wish we had them too :smith:

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
They're actually called lightning bugs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I live in the PNW and am hoarding them all to myself. They are in my house.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

You did say to come in so technically anyone can enjoy them.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I said come in! posted:

god DAMMIT

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm from there and California and never seen them, ever. Or the Northern Lights which I REALLY would love to see

We do have amazing purple trees here in California that I never knew existed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The big thunderstorms and fireflies are the stuff I miss most about Midwest summers which is to say the PNW is better in nearly every way. It's too loving hot in the Midwest

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Uh, you know you can only see them at night time right?

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

PokeJoe posted:

The big thunderstorms and fireflies are the stuff I miss most about Midwest summers which is to say the PNW is better in nearly every way. It's too loving hot in the Midwest

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Das Boo posted:

There are no thunderstorms up there either, it's bullshit.

big thunder storms w that silent lightning in central eastern WA

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I still remember one sheet lightning storm I watched one night probably 25 years ago in Wa

They are rare, but epic

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
bioluminescence is freaky as gently caress like I'd freak out if my finger lit up like ET

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i'm originally from rural Illinois and i miss the gently caress out of fireflies. also, speaking of cicadas i finally heard some here in northern california and i realized how much i miss those, too.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The whole time I was in Bellingham, we got one thunderstorm that rained out Halloween.
If you heard thunder in Portland, everybody would start texting you to ask if you heard that.

Fireflies were but a distant dream.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I once watched a bunch of eps of Firefly in my friend's apartment in Seattle

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I moved from Australia, where we have no fireflies, to Tennessee for a few years when I was 8 and I remember losing my mind and running around in marvel at all the fireflies like it was some kind of magical wonderland and everyone looking at me like I was a goober.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Caesar Saladin posted:

I moved from Australia, where we have no fireflies, to Tennessee for a few years when I was 8 and I remember losing my mind and running around in marvel at all the fireflies like it was some kind of magical wonderland and everyone looking at me like I was a goober.

if thats being a goober, then goob me up

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
I grew up in the PNW and have never seen fireflies in my life, yet I feel some kind of strange nostalgia at the thought of them buzzing around in a summer night.

We have phosphorescent oceans in the summer though from algae blooms, which is pretty fuckin magical at its peak. It's some real Avatar poo poo.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Fireflies and squatch have beef.

War never changes

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I just remembered the smell of fireflies. It's hard to describe, stink bugs smell like rotten cilantro but i don't know what fireflies smell like.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They flew elsewhere OP.

I got misty eyes as they said farewell :cry:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

So long and thanks for all the nectar

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Buce posted:

Even japan, which is super pacific and northwestern, has fireflies and cicadas. seems pretty hosed up if you ask me.

Op, if this keeps on next you'll be drawing parallels between interior China and the Midwest based solely on the lack of major bodies of water. Not every animal species can survive in an area even if the climate's right, due to whole bunch of zoological factors like - predation, competion, nesting availability, too loving windy, too many humid days - wings stick together sorry.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Op, if this keeps on next you'll be drawing parallels between interior China and the Midwest based solely on the lack of major bodies of water. Not every animal species can survive in an area even if the climate's right, due to whole bunch of zoological factors like - predation, competion, nesting availability, too loving windy, too many humid days - wings stick together sorry.

has anyone tried introducing them as an invasive species?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

You abandoned the fireflies and cicadas OP, by moving far, far away. Every night they remember you and cry. You monster.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buce posted:

I grew up in chicago, which against all odds is full of periodic cicadas and annual fireflies. but i've spe nt most of my life in the pnw and there are no fireflies ever. Even japan, which is super pacific and northwestern, has fireflies and cicadas. seems pretty hosed up if you ask me.

please use this thread to talk about how cool are fireflies and I guess cicadas if that's what yore into.

When grunge died, so too did the fireflies. RIP in Peace.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I got lots of em here op. PM me your name, address, DOB, SSN, and some one word answers to questions about your childhood and I’ll ship some right out.

Rex Meteorite
Apr 19, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I’m so friggin angry right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I would gladly trade all the gad dang mosquitoes trying to break into my home for delightful fireflies