Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Spinz posted:

I'm from there and California and never seen them, ever. Or the Northern Lights which I REALLY would love to see

I saw it once. Pictures can't do it justice. It's worth a trip north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's a big northern lights event tonight, btw.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Not to brag, but....

I got a ton of fireflies this year. They are spooky blinking in the dark forest.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i thought i was seeing firefly flashes for the first time a few nights ago here in FL

later i found out i was driving on one of the new radioactive roads they've been installing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

i thought i was seeing firefly flashes for the first time a few nights ago here in FL

later i found out i was driving on one of the new radioactive roads they've been installing

Lol. Just hit your head a few times, will clear right out.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Das Boo posted:

i saw that there was a kp8 or 9 event or something, btu i dunno if it reaches aaaalll the way down here

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.fireflyatlas.org/map

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Apparently, the firefly Ellychnia obscurevittata, commonly known as the Obscured- or hidden-firefly is exclusively found in Oregon. So your premise is clearly flawed, you just haven't Caught Them All yet. Keep working on that dex, pal.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

So we actually do get fireflies over in the PNW, they just don't actually light up! Beetles are weird, yo.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Womyn Capote posted:

Ellychnia Obscurevittata

Also happens to be my birth name.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

https://explorer.natureserve.org/Taxon/ELEMENT_GLOBAL.2.1215479/Ellychnia_obscurevittata

Actually after reading more about this specific firefly it does seem possible that someone wanted to try getting away with making up a fake bug in 1970 and it might have worked.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You have to go to Owl City for that OP

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Womyn Capote posted:

https://explorer.natureserve.org/Taxon/ELEMENT_GLOBAL.2.1215479/Ellychnia_obscurevittata

Actually after reading more about this specific firefly it does seem possible that someone wanted to try getting away with making up a fake bug in 1970 and it might have worked.

a paper posted:

Ellychnia obscurevittata is endemic to Oregon, USA (Fender 1970, Lloyd 2003). It is known from a single locality in Klamath County (Breast Mountain) (Fender 1970). Because it has been described from only the type locality, the extent of occurrence (EOO) cannot be determined.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Das Boo posted:

where

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dervival posted:

So we actually do get fireflies over in the PNW, they just don't actually light up! Beetles are weird, yo.

faaaaaake

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

North

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cool thanks

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Buce posted:

i saw that there was a kp8 or 9 event or something, btu i dunno if it reaches aaaalll the way down here

There was a KP8 in March that was seen as far south as New Mexico.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/santa-fe-northern-new-mexico/northern-lights-appear-in-some-parts-of-new-mexico/

I hope everyone gets a chance to see an overhead show at least once in their lives, it's seriously amazing, especially when they flash super bright purple and white, and you can see the solar wind moving through the structures like wind in a grassy meadow. Where I live, I get to see it happen every couple of months during solar maximum. Not this time though, visibility is currently <8km thanks to forest fire smoke.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
There were like no lightning bugs in NYC from like 2000 - 2015

They were all dying from the city spraying mosquito deterrent (to curb viruses like Zika and others).

Ask any 90s kid, there used to be lightning bugs everywhere, and then they disappeared for many years. Their return still feels recent.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Aw, looks like they backtracked it. It was originally supposed to be in 17 states and Canada, now it's pretty much just mid-west North and Canada.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Also happens to be my birth name.

Ellychnia J Obscurevittata you mind your manners!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

firefly’s deserved to be cancelled

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

poisonpill posted:

firefly’s deserved to be cancelled

You can't take the sky from me

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

gotta say the cicadas in Japan during the summer are kind of great even if some people think they are annoying

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I have a friend from Oregon who got in an argument with her teacher growing up over the existence of fireflies. The teacher thought they were make believe like unicorns or something. They had to get the parents involved to convince this teacher that fireflies were real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Buce posted:

quote:

Ellychnia obscurevittata is endemic to Oregon, USA (Fender 1970, Lloyd 2003). It is known from a single locality in Klamath County (Breast Mountain) (Fender 1970). Because it has been described from only the type locality, the extent of occurrence (EOO) cannot be determined.
Here, try this one, it apparently occurs from the extreme southern tip of Washington down through Baja. The larva glow, the adults don't.
https://inaturalist.ca/taxa/320491-Pterotus-obscuripennis