Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Y'all got any recommendations for a durable USB-C to 3.5" adapter? The apple one may sound great and be cheap, but I've gone through multiple just plugged into something that never moves, it ain't gonna make it in my pocket.

Also Apple should replace theirs if it breaks in the first year. They are pretty good about it.

Those other two are solid choices though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a way to find out who a set of Airpods Pro belongs to? Found them while walking and when I connected to them they didn't have a name or anything. I called Apple with the serial number but they said they weren't able to do anything with it. I'm on Android so I'd like to know if there's some Apple search function I can use before I start printing out flyers. They at least came with a colored silicone case so I can ask people to describe them to filter out people looking for a free pair of headphones.

Nope.

The newer ones have a find me option but beyond that there’s nothing you can do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

They started beeping! Walked around my building until I found the guy desperately looking at a map on his phone two floors below me. I connected it to a lab partner's Macbook and I'm guessing that told him where to start looking.

Nice! A success story!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

jesus christ dude. ANC headphones are not hearing protection. don't end up a story in the OSHA thread.

While true what about over the ear protection with some wireless IEMs?

That should be perfectly adequate right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Anyone using Dolby Atmos for Headphones (from the Windows Store) here?

I'm trying out the trial of it.

Reviews of the app are mixed. Many claim it doesn't work correctly or resets you to trial mode after every restart of the pc.

It's kinda impressive though. Huge improvement to movie audio.

If I do buy it, would I get the version for home theater/TV too, or just headphones?

I’m not sure about the second question there but I bought it to use with my Xbox and I definitely noticed a difference. It also let me access the windows version and yeah I think it works pretty well.

For me it was definitely worth it on the Xbox as I use my headphones a lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

If you don't want to do headphones + mic, I once again recommend the Sennheiser Pc38x, good microphone, sound pretty great. Only thing is, they leave a lot of excess budget so not sure if you could find a way to spend the rest of that.

I’ll second these.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I actually might have some very old portapros somewhere around here though I was looking for wireless so my cats stop loving with the cord. I do see they have a bluetooth version now.

edit: I guess the transparency mode on airpod pros offer what I'm looking for but drat they are expensive and it seems like only the pro have it

These also have transparency mode

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/geek-s...p?skuId=6490268

For what it’s worth I’ve actually stopped using my AirPod pros at the gym because the beats fit just have a much better fit in the ear.

I bought the ones from that link there and I was still able to add the $29 Apple care for headphones to them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

try the moondrop space travel. i'm genuinely impressed with the tuning and they have gaming and transparency modes. also theyre $25 lmao

Yeah these actually.

My suggestion was more if you were already in the Apple ecosystem and the headphones would pull double duty.

You probably dont have an OLED deck but they said they greatly reduced BT latency with the new revision.

I might have to get these for my deck gaming and see how they fair.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Just got an email Shenzhen Audio announcing Moondrop May, a new IEM that combines a dynamic driver with an annular planar driver for treble. At 65 bucks! I wonder how that will work out, especially as someone who is still in awe of how good Arias sound after I’ve owned them for months and used them daily.

When I saw them I almost ordered them but then

njsykora posted:

The Stellaris was apparently dogshit so Moondrop's IEM planar chops still have a lot to prove. It's also a USB-C IEM.

7hz Zero 2 is real good incidentally, not anything mind blowing sound wise but incredibly comfortable.

So yeah. I might wait for some reviews before deciding. They seem legit on the surface but ya never know!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got the Space Travels today and yeah this case is wild lmao.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The space travels are pretty drat good for the steam deck. The game mode works really well and I can’t notice any latency.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

In terms of sound quality they compare pretty well against my much more expensive Samsung buds (2 Pro). You can definitely feel the cheap in spots, though. The case is a bit fiddly, sometimes there's not as much audio feedback on touch input as you might like, and the companion app is pretty basic and not fully localized.

Even with caveats, they're tremendously difficult to beat for the price.

Also, don't bike with blocked hearing.

Yeah the touch input is kinda terrible on the space travels.

I managed to activate game mode once and no mater what I do now it won’t either turn on or off. They are good for the price but the case is whack AF.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

Honestly I would try some good mass market ANC earbuds first. Much easier to deal with in a public/work setting and you can wear them out and use them when you don’t want to listen to the lovely supermarket music, etc.

AirPods Pro or Beats Fit Pro.

Fwiw you can get the beats fit for $104

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2041993428...a5769c2724d0INT

I bought these and they looked new and were still eligible for Apple care for $29.

I’ve been exclusively using them over my AirPods since I got them because they just fit a lot better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might be a silly question but does anyone have a recommendation for pouches for IEMs? I've got several pairs and I want something to put the drat things in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

I've seen people using this style of IEM case (as well as the ones listed in the "similar sponsored items") and they look perfect

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125351281341

I've been wanting to pick some up, but haven't gotten around to seeing if there is anything equivalent that's cheaper and/or ships from the US.

This is nice but a bit pricey.

njsykora posted:

Go on AliExpress and search for IEM Case or IEM Pouch, you'll find dozens for like $2-3 each. I bought a pile of them a while back when it became clear I was going to have a lot of IEMs. If they're not leaving the house they don't need to be super sturdy anyway.

Ok I’ll give that a shot thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone is interested I picked up this

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $1.47 66% Off | Headphone Storage Bag U Disk USB Data Cable Organizer Earphone Accessories Memory Card Pouch Mini Purse Coin Key Bags
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMKnsMW

And

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $2.95 | KZ Earphone Case ABS Resin Waterproof Protective Portable Storage Case Bag Box Earbud for KZ ZSN ZS6 ASX ZSX ZAX AS16 EDX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKF0XG2

The Salnotes Zero are kinda large so I’m not sure which one would fit them better so I got both.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sano posted:

I was using a HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset. Somewhere along the way I stopped using the mic attachment and just used a blu yeti to speak to people. I can't tell if the HyperX Cloud II was high quality in sound. But it eventually snapped off its hinges and it became annoying to wear, still works but its just annoying now. There was nothing special I liked about it, except that it was affordable and worked. It also didn't hurt to wear for long periods of times. But now I'd like proper headphones.

What I hated is the wire would twist constantly into itself into a weird knot thing where I gotta hold it up and wait for it to untwist itself. Any way to avoid that nonsense?

Budget - $50-$150 Really rather go below $100 if its possible.

Source - Computer, Gaming, Discord, Video Editing.

Type - Over-Ears

Wireless sounds cool but it also sounds expensive and charging a battery doesn't sound fun. But I'll do it if the goons think I should join the wireless gang, its not a must.
Just has to sound good and feel comfortable.

I still have to pimp these in that price range

EPOS H6Pro - Open Acoustic Gaming Headset with Mic - Lightweight Headband - Comfortable & Durable Design - Xbox Headset - PS4 Headset - PS5 Headset - PC/Windows Headset

https://a.co/d/9DF6dLB

Do not pay that full price because the Amazon warehouse has them for $72 and that’s a fantastic deal imo.

They make closed ones as well but I prefer the open ones as I found they sounded better.

Either are a fantastic headset for the $100 range.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maudib Arakkis posted:

How do the AirPod max stack against QC45? I was watching dune last night with the QC thinking I’d be blown away by some epic audio but it was pretty meh. Thinking to cop the next APM when they add USB-C.

Are you on an iPad or Apple TV? Afaik there is some sound benefits to the AirPods in those cases.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a drat good deal

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epos-h...p?skuId=6482717

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

Got a pair of Space Travels, it seems like the app currently doesn't work on iOS. Also they're really hard to take out without triggering a play/pause event. Otherwise they sound good, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do at the gym.

I managed to get the game mode to turn on once and now I can’t get it to turn on or off lol. They are decent little headphones but they are super finicky.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I've been using some steelseries headphones on my PC for a few years and they've been fine. Recently the pleather on the padding has started to shred, which while unsightly doesn't affect the performance. What is weird however is I've just noticed that certain frequencies are almost totally inaudible - I'm trying to create a music round for a pub quiz I'm writing, and I've discovered that the opening guitar in "Wish You Were Here" is quiet to the point of being almost undetectable. I turned them up as loud as they'd go and then nearly burst my eardrums when the second guitar comes in after a minute. Now I'm wondering how long they've been hosed. Is this a common problem with headphones or am I just unlucky? Is there anything to do to fix them or are they just hosed? What should I be looking at for replacing them in the €100 - 150 range? (I hate gamer aesthetics but I'll be using them for everything I do on my PC so listening to music, podcasts, gaming etc)

Do you want something with an attached microphone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah, my current pair has the microphone on a 3.5" jack which I like because then I can remove it when it's not in use. I can see that other steelseries headphones have a retractable microphone which I would also like but I'm slightly wary of the brand now.

I’m a big fan of these for your price range (they can actually be found cheaper in the warehouse if it’s available to you).

https://a.co/d/2MWbfpV

EPOS H6Pro - Closed Acoustic Gaming Headset with Mic - Over-Ear Headset – Lightweight - Lift-to-Mute

The mic actually comes off so they look like normal headphones as well.

I like the open version personally but it depends on your use case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Tried out the AirPods Max today. The passthrough is incredible; SO much better than the XM3's. Ordered a set when I got home.

I’ve been tempted but I’m waiting to see if the update it with usb c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

khy posted:

Hey MUSIC PEOPLE. My nephew wants a comfortable pair of noise-cancelling over the ear headphones for his birthday. I would like recommendations so I can help my family shop for a pair for him, maybe.

He doesn't always take the best care of his stuff so something not too expensive would be preferred but all options and recommendations are welcome.

Ideally $100 or less would be perfect, but if there's no reasonably good noise-cancelling options in that price range I would understand. We'd go more expensive if he would take better care of his poo poo. Wireless preferred but if necessary we can still do wired. Comfort over long periods of listening is his #1 priority, with cutting out outside noise and distractions being #2.

Normally my father who reads CR and browses audiophile forums would be the one we'd turn to for guidance but he passed last year and so now the family has turned to me for advice on what we should be looking at, and I am turning to you all.

These are currently on sale for $50 (normally $100) and I’d just go with them :shrug:

https://www.status.co/products/coreanc

They make decent headphones all in all.