Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm trying to figure out bluetooth audio simultaneous in/out on Windows. When my wife was trying to use bt earbuds with built in mic to chat with people on discord while watching a movie the audio goes all terrible once she says anything. It seems like it switches the audio output to some crappy mono thing when chatting. I can find a decade of random posts about this issue and I can't tell if this is just how it goes with bt or its a limitation of the earbuds and/or bt receiver not supporting a fancier protocol.

Does she need to upgrade those (adapter or ear buds) or should she pick up a bt lapel mic to work around the issue? She hates headsets/big headphones which often have dongles so trying to figure out an earbud friendly setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Doesn't that make bt essentially useless for gaming headsets? I know they are usually dongle rf but I thought I'd seen some bt ones.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I actually bought the BT beats flex recommended a few pages ago for use with my steam deck and laptop. It works great though I don't play competitive or rhythm games. My cats like to sit next to me while I play and they were occasionally trying to eat the headphone cord of the FH3 I had plugged in. I wanted some kind of cord so I could pull them out and leave them attached as I kept losing my totally wireless earbuds when I'd do that, but not enough cord to be tempting to the cats. The beats are working great and I actually don't notice much quality difference from the fh3 for my usage (I am old with tinnitus so that may just be me). Not gonna try to use them for multiplayer though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

How are you finding the fit? I still can't decide if they actually fit well or not. I have literally the same eartips as my old ones and unless I really jam them in it doesn't feel like a good seal.

They are comfortable to me, but I also don't like it when earbuds have a very aggressive seal because I don't ride public transit or anything so don't need noise cancelling. They sit in the ears comfortably without falling out with an acceptable sound quality :shrug:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone used any kind of bone conducting headphones for gaming? I was thinking about if there was something better for when I play games sitting next to my wife on the deck. Since she has her own game going on the tv and we talk I usually just keep a single earbud in, but the bone conducting looked like an interesting option for keeping my ears open. The audio from my nreal air glasses actually worked really well for this, but they've had some issues so I haven't been using them as much (I think it works similar to some bone conducting where it was just a tiny speaker pointed at my ears).

I have an open air headset for my desktop pc for similar reasons, but I don't want to wear big headphones on the couch and at least on those (epos 38x) I have to keep the volume pretty low to hear anyone. I dunno if the bone conducting do a better job of letting room sound in.

I don't really care about latency or microphones since I don't do anything where that matters on the deck so just decent boomy normal game sound. I also bought an iphone so now the beats flex is mostly used for it instead of the deck and it doesn't switch devices very well so I'm back to trying to keep my cats away from FH3 earbuds.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Consider koss portapros or kph40 or ksc75. They're all effectively open back, cheap and sound great. Bone conduction is neat but it's really best for podcasts or swimming imo, the sound quality isn't there.

I actually might have some very old portapros somewhere around here though I was looking for wireless so my cats stop loving with the cord. I do see they have a bluetooth version now.

edit: I guess the transparency mode on airpod pros offer what I'm looking for but drat they are expensive and it seems like only the pro have it

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 8, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

got the moondrop space travel and their transparency mode works for my usage (my own game audio and still talk to my wife sitting next to me). It isn't super clear but as long as my audio isn't too loud I can hear her fine. Is this feature significantly better on fancier earbuds?

The sound quality seems fine enough and extraordinary for the price. I'd put it in the same range as all my other bt earbuds including the beats flex. Not as good as my filo f3 but also not so different for most things that I'd rather have transparency and no cord issues. I haven't noticed any issues with game latency in its gaming mode.

The only place they feel cheap is the case. Rather than a lid it's just a socket while still being a little big. It's weird the charging port is on the bottom. I don't think it supports wireless charging. The case might be annoying if you carried it around, but I'll be keeping them at home.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had to cover all my headphone cords with the rougher cord sleeves cats like chewing less.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

how well do air pod pros handle being paired to both an iphone and a windows computer? My experience with bt headphones is that they tend to freak out in that kinda usage and its hard to get it to stay connected to one.

Though I'll probably never buy them until they are way cheaper or have a big used deal or something. The better transparency/iphone integration sounds nice but that price is about double what I've ever spent on headphones. My phone audio usage is 95% podcasts/audiobooks so enhanced sound quality is fairly irrelevant there.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Personally, I'd get something like koss KSC75 or KPH40i and listen at relatively low volume. They're effectively open back but they do not leak much sound, and you can still hear your surroundings. And they're cheap and actually sound great.

I actually just bought both of these and really like them. I carved up the KSC75's which became my Quest 3's audio solution (via some 3D printed parts, a huge upgrade for the audio) and the KPH40 (non-i version if there's much difference) became my standard headphones for the deck/laptop use. I've tried the porta-pros before but the band on the KPH40 I found a lot more comfortable and no pinchy bits from a folding band. You can still hear the room around you fine, but the headphones can crank up too. I'm no audiophile so I don't have the language to describe exactly why I like these Koss headphones so much, but they sound more fun than better headphones I've had somehow?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What is the upgrade from the Koss cheapies anyway? I'd want a comfier full cup headphone, open backed, and less than $175 (preferably as cheap as possible wherever the best bang/buck ratio in case they get eaten by a cat/my own stupidity).

Wireless would be nice and make them less enticing to the cat, but I don't really want to gently caress with bluetooth on my desktop and it seems like dongle wireless is always a headset with a mic I no longer want/need (this cheap fifine usb desktop mic is working great).

My youngest cat has been waging a war on headphones and they got my EPOS PC38X's cord twice (which thankfully was easily replaced and a cord cover made them lose interest), but recently I think they must've been loving with the boom mic because it stopped working unless you held it in the exact right spot. I switched to a desktop mic, but then decided one day (stupidly) to remove the boom mic from it and opened up the left headphone. I'm not a stranger to modding and repairing poo poo, but the hardware in the cup was kind of a crammed in mess and I might've hosed them up. I'm gonna try to repair them again sometime, but I got them cheap used so I won't be heartbroken if they are dead and need to be replaced.

TBH the longer I had the PC38x the more meh I felt on them since they weren't that comfortable and the sound quality compared to my other cheaper devices wasn't that significant. Maybe I'm a pleb and prefer a boomier sound to the finer details of the Sennheiser stuff I dunno. The earcup size was a bit awkwardly sized between the smaller earcups that sit on top of your ear and the headphones I've had in the past where they were big enough to enclose the whole ear (I think a long time ago my Audio Technicas and Philips were like that). I could probably have solved that with some aftermarket earpads but hadn't gotten around to it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

eh I dunno if the Sennheiser sound is my vibe. Besides the PC38x I've listened to a couple over the years that didn't wow me. I don't do competitive gaming at all so I don't care about footsteps accuracy and such. Poking around I found some talk of the X2HR which might be what I'm looking more for sound wise being somewhat bassy for an open back. I like that the cable is just a plain 3.5mm and they look sturdy and potentially comfier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Open back is just so I can hear my environment better. If my wife shouts from the other room or my cats are throwing a fit somewhere I want to hear it unlike when I had closed cans and was dead to the world. I liked that aspect of the pc38x and I presume it helped them feel cooler temp wise. I haven't listened to any Sennheiser recently this was probably a decade ago when I was actually buying headphones in a store. At the time I purchased some expensive to me ATH cans ($100-$200) that I thought sounded better than whatever sets were there.

Audio stuff is weird to read reviews of because it's hard for me to connect some of the language to any kind of experience, but the talk of 'neutral' 'accurate' doesn't sound like fun pleb phones for someone playing casual games and listening to random music (what is now classic rock I guess, random poo poo like gogol or charles bradley, but definitely nothing that really needs accuracy like instrumental jazz or classical) where I don't need to rattle my teeth bass but I want it present. This has nothing to do with Senn or whatever being bad, but it doesn't seem like it's necessarily good for my pleb+ needs.

Yeah the x2hr is discontinued which makes them cheaper but the x3 doesn't use a standard 3.5mm cord which seemed like a pisser when people were saying otherwise they are very similar.

Zorilla posted:

I don't know how orange your cat is, but based on your description of the PC38X's internals, DT 770s seem like they're a million times easier to work on if it ever comes to the point where you need to replace the cable or install a jack.

he's pretty orange

Yeah, I saw a lot of praise for the DT 770s but replaceable cable without modding would be very hard to give up. I will take a look at the HD 58X though. How is the comfort compared to the PC38x? That's a major concern for me in headphones as I've got a big head and big ears, and the PC38x wasn't terrible but wasn't comfy either.

edit: I guess I sorta have a weak dac/amp now. I bought a cheap Sound Blaster (blast from the past name) X1 so I could position my headphone jack in a place less likely for the cat to gently caress with (he likes to lay on the computer next to the front audio port while the rear was taken up by speakers) via a long usb c cord. Dunno if that changes anything.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 30, 2024