Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Doesn’t she say something like “I don’t even have a vagina! And he doesn’t have a penis!” Earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
so much stretching trying to turn a toy commercial written by a White Feminism Feminist into a Butlerian deconstruction of gender and not a jar in sight

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Doesn’t she say something like “I don’t even have a vagina! And he doesn’t have a penis!” Earlier?

Yes, to the construction crew who cat-called her. I believe that is what SMG was getting at in this quote but typo'd what was supposed to be "since that's not at the end of the film but partway into the runtime."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even act of saying “vagina” is unexceptional, since that the end of the film but partway into the runtime.

Cojawfee posted:

When you make a big effort post based on you misremembering a line in a movie.

I would prefer this over making snarky low-effort posts because they won't bother reading others'.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
They make a big deal about the lack of doll genitals, but the Kens in the movie clearly have nipples when the real life dolls don't, shaking my head at such an unforced error.

I think the somewhat mixed reactions that do exist have a much more banal cause then the films somewhat confused gender explorations and that is that Ryan Goslings Ken is the best part of the movie by some distance and Barbies character stuff at the end pales at his stuff. Both in terms of emotional power, in the scenes where Gosling loses it, his big "I'm just Ken" song and dance bit, and just the humour surrounding him the entire film.

The Barbies don't get anything like the Kens climatic musical flourish and in movie terms, their climax is a lot more staid and just, like, there.

I think it also helps in that Barbie seems to somehow have to represent all female experience, which is impossible, but Kens whole deal is specific to him and doesn't somehow have to reflect real world men. In fact, a big part of the comedy remains the difference between Ken and the real world and Kens weird interpretation of patriarchy.

Also, his headband, watches, sunglasses and coat outfit is supposed to be ridiculous but Ryan Gosling actually makes it look cool. But that works for just him, don't let anybody who isn't Gosling try that look, wouldn't work.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I thought that Ryan Gosling's look was intentionally that way. I vaguely recall some of the passersby checking him out appreciatively instead of snickering.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pirate Jet posted:

Yes, to the construction crew who cat-called her. I believe that is what SMG was getting at in this quote but typo'd what was supposed to be "since that's not at the end of the film but partway into the runtime."

Correct, yes. Somehow, a chunk of the sentence got deleted - but the point is still pretty clear from "there are already multiple jokes about childbirth and puberty and whatnot," and the later part where I directly quote the line I was referring to (as a contrast to the ending gynecology joke).

tokin opposition posted:

so much stretching trying to turn a toy commercial written by a White Feminism Feminist into a Butlerian deconstruction of gender and not a jar in sight

I get where you're coming from, but pure ideology is impossible. Even if the filmmakers are full TERFs whose intended point is that Barbie can only ever become a woman by being capable of childbirth or whatever, that interpretation of the film would still be false.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 29, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It could be called cheating that the movie uses its narrator and an overall loose relationship with the fourth wall to question its own premise, but more charitably you could call it having a dialogue with the audience and admitting its premise is an exploration of topics, not a definitive statement.

Especially given the overt flaws of characters, dolls and humans, and the inherent contradictions of their existence are a major theme. Oddly enough, I feel that makes them more human. People are weird and contradictory, after all.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

garycoleisgod posted:

The Barbies don't get anything like the Kens climatic musical flourish and in movie terms, their climax is a lot more staid and just, like, there.

There's a joke in here somewhere about men being too emotional to be in positions of power. Maybe that's a semi-intended goof, but not conveyed particularly well?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not sure why it took me so long to remember the Ken from Toy Story 3, but while it's on my brain, feels kinda interesting how they take more or less an opposite tack that yet doesn't feel completely unfitting if you thought of them as following similar logic. Sunnyside Daycare has a Ken without Barbies, who has to try to define himself on his own terms, but has similar angst in feeling like an accessory without an identity of his own- but since he's living in Barbie's dream house, has Barbie's clothes, drives Barbie's car, etc, he seems to end up defining himself by his surroundings, becoming more Barbie than the actual Barbie, even writing in the trademark Barbie font. And while there's some kinda mean spirited jokes about his effeminate mannerisms, it still feels like an identity that's presented as valid and understandable, and Barbie herself doesn't really want to change any of that about him. Kind of a mirror to how in the end, the Barbies have clearly taken a liking to some of the aesthetics that the Kens have introduced in their regime, leaving some things unchanged or making them their own rather than removing them.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I watched this last night, pretty funny! A lot of good jokes but faltered a bit when trying for more serious stuff. The stuff with the ghost of Barbie's creator didn't really work for me at all and only served to remind me that I was watching something that is, in part, an advertisement for Mattel.

Still, most of the jokes landed pretty well and Gosling in particular was great. It also had some fantastic set design and cinematography.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Still, most of the jokes landed pretty well and Gosling in particular was great. It also had some fantastic set design and cinematography.
I haven't seen Poor Things, so I don't have a basis for comparison; I was sad when it landed Best Costume Design and Best Set Design over Barbie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Poor Things had amazing costumes & sets. Better than Barbie? Personally, I thought it was a toss-up. :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The sets for Barbie were cool, the houses were neat. The sets for Poor Things are really crazy with how much effort they put into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love CEO Will Ferrell casually mentioning the ghost has an office in Mattel HQ.

Cojawfee posted:

The sets for Barbie were cool, the houses were neat. The sets for Poor Things are really crazy with how much effort they put into them.

Kinda apples to oranges really, the movies are doing such different things.