Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the biggest laugh the movie got at my showing was the throwaway gag about the snyderverse lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mine was dead silent for that joke. The Godfather joke got a bunch of laughs

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One of my fav parts of movie

Depression Anxiety Barbie commercial with Pride and Prejudice BBC, OCD sold seperately

Reminded me of this Barbie.

https://clickhole.com/finally-this-realistic-barbie-doll-comes-with-a-cabine-1825120660/

I've never felt so seen.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

my personal favourite was the circle of kens on the beach playing matchbox 20 for the barbies bc my wife unironically likes them and it drives me mad whenever we go on a long car trip together and she drives

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

x-posting from the pyf meme thread. it's low effort but, ironically, i couldn't get the idea out of my head all weekend

It really needs the two sunglasses

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

contrary to the conservative freakout over this movie, the overall message was pretty clearly not anti-men but anti-patriarchy. the movie does a good job of emphasizing how Ken bringing patriarchy to Barbieland gives him more power but doesn't make him happier. he finds himself forced into a role that is visibly suffocating him, forced to behave in increasingly absurd ways, and is still defining himself in relation to other people (women) without having interests himself. he isn't even able to truly commiserate with other Kens because he's always either posturing or competing with them so he'll seem more attractive to Stereotypical Barbie.

and then, of course, his actions also steadily destroy the world around him, making it a much smaller, dirtier, and more garish place. (the one shot of all the Kens talking on their repurposed mojo dojo casa houses that are all displaying the exact same looped video of a horse is very funny.)

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Good, they deserve all those wins.

I am pre-emptively weary for the upcoming wave of media that completely misses that this movie works because of the substance + the style and not just style alone. What happens often with Wes Andreson's flicks, where people will assume this is such a big hit because PINK!

i agree with your concern but god would i love if movies started embracing a broader, brighter color palette

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 24, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One of my fav parts of movie

Depression Anxiety Barbie commercial with Pride and Prejudice BBC, OCD sold seperately

:same:, was dying when they started showing actual footage from it too

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

QuoProQuid posted:

i agree with your concern but god would i love if movies started embracing a broader, brighter color palette

Now I remember the last time my eyes felt like that

Speed Racer

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i will also say that it's extremely fun for Ryan Gosling to make a thing about helping interviewers unlock their "Kenergy" in the lead-up to the movie, only for "Kenergy" to be revealed as redpilled "blonde fragility"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I saw a subtitled showing which was pretty quiet, nobody laughed or made a noise at any of the bits. Which was a little weird.
It was really helpful though because Ken singing "like rob thomas" (as per the subtitles) and some of the Matchbox 20 songs I'd never ever have got because to me all he's done is be in Always Sunny and sung that one song with Santana!

I felt a bit bad for what they did with Ken's relationship with Barbie. Almost making it sound like he's a "friend who wants to sleep with the girl" when he's kinda a robot programmed to be in love with her and she's not in love with him. Poor guy.
All the rest I really enjoyed but yea I couldn't help but feel a bit bad for him with the line at the start about how his life is entirely defined by Barbie looking at him.

I think I'd have made it so Rhea Pearlman was the narrator. Why have Helen Mirren when there's someone perfect already that has a role in the film?

Also felt like they lost steam with the executives when they came to Barbieland, like they didn't really know what to do with them next.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Movie was awesome, I’d actually see it again in theatres, chuds/conservatives are so fragile

My wife loved the whole we will just let the Kens mansplain something we already know like the Godfather or finances and we will save the Barbies plot line because in her industry it’s just constantly guys mansplaining to her

Cassette Moodcore fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 24, 2023

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

It really needs the two sunglasses

And three watches.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

contrary to the conservative freakout over this movie, the overall message was pretty clearly not anti-men but anti-patriarchy.

That's the same thing to them.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The soundtrack slaps and the “Best Weekend Ever” edition had the Kens singing the entirety of Push.

Mark Ronson did a great job with all the collaborations. Lizzo! Dua Lipa! Tame Impala! Billie Eilish! Sam Smith! HAIM! Ryan Gosling!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

stratdax posted:

That's the same thing to them.

frankly its disgusting of them to reduce manhood to the ability to be a father like that

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Barbie was a wild time. Good movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

QuoProQuid posted:

contrary to the conservative freakout over this movie, the overall message was pretty clearly not anti-men but anti-patriarchy. the movie does a good job of emphasizing how Ken bringing patriarchy to Barbieland gives him more power but doesn't make him happier.

Ken doesn't bring patriarchy to Barbieland. Barbieland is a fantasy realm that was already entirely controlled and sustained by Mattel and Warner Bros Discovery (whose HQ is conspicuously visible from the Mattel boardroom's window). This means that it was always an outgrowth of the patriarchy in "the real world".

That's the Matrix analogy they're going for, with Barbie obviously in the role of Tom Anderson/Neo. Unlike the Matrix, though, there's no functional economic system within the simulation. Ken just says "the abstract concept of patriarchy is good", then suddenly has a flatscreen TV because that phrase memetically infected the cartoon president.

Barbie The Movie is consequently neither anti-men nor anti-patriarchy. It's straightforwardly in favor of the patriarchy, albeit in a moderate-centrist way. Gloria advocates for gradualism, probably gets a promotion within her male-dominated company, and indulges in harmless power-fantasies on the side. 'I can be an astronaut, and bully a dickless Ryan Gosling!'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went with my sisters to see both this and oppenheimer. I thought it was a fun movie, but it does seem like no one knows who the movie is for. I went in assuming that it was for adults, since it is rated PG-13 and seems to have a lot of material that's meant for adults to understand. But then all the trailers were for kids movies. I feel like marketing dropped the ball with this, because I assume a bunch of parents who don't bother to look into anything will just see "Barbie" and assume it's for their five year old, despite the fact that it is rated PG-13.

Overall I feel like I have a completely different takeway from this than everyone else. What I took from the movie is that feminism isn't "women should do everything", it's that everyone should be treated fairly. That's what I thought Stereotypical Barbie was learning when they retook control of the government and reinstated the Matriarchy and then she gets back home and Ken explains the problems he has with their system. But it seems like a lot of people are taking away that it's either matriarchy or patriarchy and the matriarchy of Barbieland is fine and that the Kens actually have it good even though they don't have real jobs, are all idiots, and are treated like pets. They don't even have a place where they live and the Barbies don't even care because the Kens are basically accessories and then they get upset when the Kens want to be their accessories.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Ken just wanted to make a world where guys could be dudes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ken doesn't bring patriarchy to Barbieland. Barbieland is a fantasy realm that was already entirely controlled and sustained by Mattel and Warner Bros Discovery (whose HQ is conspicuously visible from the Mattel boardroom's window). This means that it was always an outgrowth of the patriarchy in "the real world".

That's the Matrix analogy they're going for, with Barbie obviously in the role of Tom Anderson/Neo. Unlike the Matrix, though, there's no functional economic system within the simulation. Ken just says "the abstract concept of patriarchy is good", then suddenly has a flatscreen TV because that phrase memetically infected the cartoon president.

Barbie The Movie is consequently neither anti-men nor anti-patriarchy. It's straightforwardly in favor of the patriarchy, albeit in a moderate-centrist way. Gloria advocates for gradualism, probably gets a promotion within her male-dominated company, and indulges in harmless power-fantasies on the side. 'I can be an astronaut, and bully a dickless Ryan Gosling!'

yeah this is a pretty fair reading *checks username* oh god im in opposite land

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Movie was awesome, I’d actually see it again in theatres, chuds/conservatives are so fragile

My wife loved the whole we will just let the Kens mansplain something we already know like the Godfather or finances and we will save the Barbies plot line because in her industry it’s just constantly guys mansplaining to her

I cracked up that The Fall got referenced in the loving Barbie movie of all things.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I thought it was a good movie, I think PG-13 would be pretty appropriate as it does deal with some interesting themes but I also think that teenagers would be able to handle these concepts, especially around the way Barbie feels when she first goes to the real world.

My fiancée hit the nail on the head - that Ken takes on an antagonist role because Barbie won't date him is a pretty common experience at least in a White Australian women context.

I'm not sure I watched the same movie as the posters who call it not anti-patriarchy, I really thought that the movie puts it to the viewers how the patriarchy harms everyone.

It's one to recommend at least to see, definitely one of the better movies I've seen in the last 10 years.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i dont really agree that its pro patriarchy but i feel like it does take a fairly liberal stance which dilutes any antipatriarchal themes it has a little bit but in spite of that i think it has a great emotional message about the mechanics of feminism and how they can be weaponized against women by bad faith actors and dumb handsome men who look great in a fur coat

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I don't really agree that the Ken's get a bad ending at all. They're defeated, but not punished, the comment that they might one day have as much power as women in the real-world felt darkly ironic to me.

But more than that, the ambiguity is deliberate, I think. If Ken Prime instantly stepped into another defined role, or even the secondary Kens became Supreme Court Judges, they'd be trading one dead end for another. The end of the film is the start of the journey for pretty much everyone.

That's why Barbie's final line is so good - yes, it's funny we think she's going for a high-powered job and she's actually at the gynaecologist, but the film would undercut itself otherwise.

Mattel are clearly laundering the Barbie brand and that's okay. Its shifting from a mid-aughts girlboss definition of Be Anything (as long as that "anything" is some nightmarish corporate position), disavowing and mocking the pre-90s bimbo image and recreating itself as a blank canvas while sort of pretending that's what it always was

At first, I was surprised Mattel were so game for the way the brand is treated and then I realised that is absolutely by design.

Edit: I totally see the Wes Anderson and Speed Racer comparisons, but some of it, especially the scenes in the Mattel offices, made me think of Boots Riley.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 24, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Recoome posted:

I'm not sure I watched the same movie as the posters who call it not anti-patriarchy, I really thought that the movie puts it to the viewers how the patriarchy harms everyone.

It’s not anti-patriarchy because it’s not realistic about what the patriarchy is and therefore can’t be realistic about its solutions. There is some genuine subversion happening in how the Kens are only mimicking what they think patriarchy is supposed to be and not what it is, but that just means it has no actual commentary on the patriarchy IRL. Taking a woman on a date where she watches you play guitar for four hours is annoying and stupid, but it’s not oppressive, nobody has ever been traumatized by Wonderwall. As SMG noted above, Mattel likely wouldn’t have allowed Gerwig and Baumbach to write Ken as genuinely bigoted.

In the end, the solutions proposed by the film are to vote right so more women can get on the Supreme Court, and also that there should be more women executives. Our protagonist is saved by the president of a corporation who committed tax evasion, and the film’s acknowledgements of this feel less like accountability and more like lampshading.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s not anti-patriarchy because it’s not realistic about what the patriarchy is and therefore can’t be realistic about its solutions. There is some genuine subversion happening in how the Kens are only mimicking what they think patriarchy is supposed to be and not what it is, but that just means it has no actual commentary on the patriarchy IRL. Taking a woman on a date where she watches you play guitar for four hours is annoying and stupid, but it’s not oppressive, nobody has ever been traumatized by Wonderwall. As SMG noted above, Mattel likely wouldn’t have allowed Gerwig and Baumbach to write Ken as genuinely bigoted.

In the end, the solutions proposed by the film are to vote right so more women can get on the Supreme Court, and also that there should be more women executives. Our protagonist is saved by the president of a corporation who committed tax evasion, and the film’s acknowledgements of this feel less like accountability and more like lampshading.

Ah jeez its a movie about Barbies

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Recoome posted:

Ah jeez its a movie about Barbies

Do you want to talk about the movie or not?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Movie is good despite feeling like a 300 million dollar rebranding campaign. We probably hit the ceiling for a non parody movie about dolls that yass

weekly font fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 24, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Recoome posted:

Well, in the end the protagonist chooses to leave Barbie land and live in the "real" world, doesn't she? Real world patriarchy (as opposed to the cartoonish version) can't be *that* bad if she chooses that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Recoome posted:

My fiancée hit the nail on the head[spoiler] - that Ken takes on an antagonist role because Barbie won't date him is a pretty common experience at least in a White Australian women context.

He's legit one of the better movie villains in recent memory.

You can see entirely where he's coming from. It's painful seeing him turn into full on villain cause the movie makes clear he's still hurting through pretty much every 'triumph' scene. & it's nice the movie addresses that Barbie coulda been sensitive to her friend, but ultimately it's still on him to figure his poo poo out.

Also the power ballad is fuckin' perfect.

Dang I loved this flick. What a perfect storm of things that had to come together for it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The biggest question I had about the movie is why is the other company on the right side during that shot… General Motors?

I had a lot of fun watching it. Ken had an interesting story arc and it ending with him getting the opportunity to be his own person but independent of Barbie was the best outcome for him.

Lots of Biblical/Plato's cave issues now that the Barbies (and Ken's) know of the real world and how the dynamics between women and men really are.

Now I expect Gerwig's sequel to be He-Man which would use the same toy/real world logic as this movie did.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Movie sounds really good. I grew up as the only child so had no exposure to the Barbie cinematic universe, but all the chuds getting really mad about it makes me think that it's worth checking out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I wish they weren’t cowards and made Ken the gay friend we all know he always was. Honestly the movie would even work better if a new corporate mandated poochie-rear end boyfriend doll to reinforce cis hetnorms was the villain

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I loved this movie and I think there's a lot more to the ending than some people are giving it credit for.

Ken became interested in the patriarchy because he got respect and because there were horses. At the end he even admits he was starting to lose interest in the life he created. But he got swept up into ideas of what it means to be a man and came up with this confused, jumbled mess. You must wear loud clothes, drink beer, love horses, treat women poorly, and just be a stereotypical man. When he tosses this stuff aside there's still a Ken who likes the jacket, just like there's presumably a Ken who likes drinking beer and a Ken who is really into mini fridges.

The Barbies already figured this out. You can enjoy stereotypically gendered things, there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't define your reality around a checklist of things that you MUST like. The Kens aren't really fully formed individuals yet, they've still got a lot of work to do.

The conservative backlash to this is entirely expected and expectedly hilarious because Ken is an extremely important character and (as a cis hetero man myself) the crisis of identity he goes through is something most guys go through at least once in their life.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

I wish they weren’t cowards and made Ken the gay friend we all know he always was. Honestly the movie would even work better if a new corporate mandated poochie-rear end boyfriend doll to reinforce cis hetnorms was the villain

Yeah the movie is, like, astonishingly straight given the subject matter. But it makes sense!

I initially thought it was a total cop-out that the 'leftist' straw-girl calls Barbie a fascist. Like, she calls the innocent character a fascist, and makes her cry, while leveling no such criticism at the Mattel company (or WB, for that matter). It's like going to Disneyland and insulting the mascots. Imagine if the character instead turned to the camera and called David Zaslav a fascist - or dissed the actual Mattel CEO (Ynon Kreiz, apparently). Obviously, she would never be allowed to do this.

But then, in the end, the moral of the movie is pretty much directly stated: Barbie the character is a fascist, and that's okay because girls deserve escapist power fantasies too. We're gonna oppress the Kens, but in a funny way, because it's not real.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
i for one very much enjoyed BARBIE brought to you by General Motors

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Recoome posted:

My fiancée hit the nail on the head - that Ken takes on an antagonist role because Barbie won't date him is a pretty common experience at least in a White Australian women context.

I said it before but I felt bad for him with that bit
He's literally programmed to be dating barbie, it's all he lives for. And I feel like they poo poo on him for it a bit

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Taear posted:

He's literally programmed to be dating barbie, it's all he lives for. And I feel like they poo poo on him for it a bit

there's kind of a cognitive dissonance here where the movie acknowledges that everyone is a doll with pre-programmed hopes/dreams/beliefs/etc so it makes a lot of genuinely funny jokes about it but then it also kind of tries to have its cake and eat it too by also trying to say something important about society which is why its kind of a jumbled mess if you really think about it

it would be like if at the end of one of the toy story movies woody takes a few minutes to denounce the actual horrors of real world chattel slavery before we go right back to him and buzz yukking it up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Taear posted:

I think a bunch of people are missing this bit. They want to poo poo on Ken as if he's a real man, but he isn't. He is pretty much a child, and doesn't understand anything that's going on. The kens have been kept stupid by the Barbies. They don't have real jobs, and they have all been programmed to be infatuated with Barbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cojawfee posted:

I think a bunch of people are missing this bit. They want to poo poo on Ken as if he's a real man, but he isn't. He is pretty much a child, and doesn't understand anything that's going on. The kens have been kept stupid by the Barbies. They don't have real jobs, and they have all been programmed to be infatuated with Barbie.

The Kens haven’t been kept stupid by the Barbies. Everything in Barbieland exists in a stasis created by Mattel. In the same way that Doctor Barbie has always been a doctor, and Supreme Court Justice Barbie has always been a Supreme Court Justice, the Kens just exist as they have been designed. The Barbies aren’t the ruling class, the Mattel board of directors is.