Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Roth posted:

The feminism commentary is the most basic cishet specific version of feminism, so I couldn't really connect with it on that angle either. Ryan Gosling was fun though.

Yeah but as the film points out the basics of feminism are just absolutely loving undermined and need to be restated plainly and loudly

The movie wields the message with a sledgehammer but goddamn it loving needs to, especially because this is going to be a massive hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Roth posted:

I just found it alienating. The movie is very invested in what being a woman is like, and a lot of it was exclusionary for a non-passing trans woman.

I suppose that is accidentally true to my experience with how people to speak to me about feminism as a trans person. Even now some mouth breathing goon is calling me a retard for having very light criticism of the Barbie movie that just taught them feminist ideas from 2013 tumblr.

Yeah I'm keenly aware that I'm approaching it from a straight white dude angle and I'm really not trying to be all like "yes but baby steps for the hets, you'll get there!!" but being in the trenches of high school teaching film and media made me feel very receptive to the message in a mainstream film.

I also feel like Gerwig and co might have been held back by Mattel is certain measures (Hari Nef being the victory there) as the thing is still at the end of a day a commercial to convey a product. Was a movie about Barbie (written by both gerwig and baumbach who to my knowledge haven't got a track record of trans representation anyway iirc) ever really going to have that? It probably should in a perfect world but realistically society and the film industry is only at a point where basic feminism can be stated plainly like this (and received as well as it is) if this flick is a barometer

It's hosed and horrible and I know saying that I got some small element of hope out of it doesn't answer the issues your lived experience had with it, but it shouldn't invalidate the (however basic) progress it marks invalid, right?

E:

Roth posted:

To rephrase a different way: All I got out of this on a deeper level than finding some gags funny was gender dysphoria.

this sucks in particular because some of my trans students are hella hyped to see it this weekend. I know not all experiences are shared but reflecting I could see that

I know my history means I probably shouldn't make declarations about the validity or importance of the message but I do want to discuss it because it's inevitable that the films gonna be a success and I wanna know how to approach that when talking to diverse crowds. I dunno if I'm talking myself in circles or just justifying it to myself but is there real harm in acknowledging the feminism is adherent to straight cis hegemony while also acknowledging that it fails the trans community? What's the entry point of that discussion?

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Homie you’re retarded

gently caress off, nerd

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 21, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Roth posted:

It's fine, I'm more just dealing with my own dysphoria this weirdly caused in me.

Don't feel pressure to respond to my dumbass questions BTW - I'm not trying to bait out an internet slapfight, I just am very aware I have no loving clue but you also aren't responsible for teaching me this poo poo. Hope you are feeling better and good cos you rule <3

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As an overt advertisement for a Barbie toys, the film is specifically marketing Barbie dolls to different age demographics along the narrative’s progression.

Barbie is first sold as a sincere power fantasy for young children, then as an ironic power fantasy for teens (“dark and weird”).

Finally, there’s the tricky part: a proposed return to sincerity with a “I Am Barbie” messaging for adults, where Barbie the character is understood as a person and has therefore, all along, been conflicted and suffering.

Call Alan the n word

N'Sync