Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is Cock Ring Ken featured at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Goddammit that was like one of the funniest movies I've seen

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also something that I noticed was that Gay Ken sided with the Barbies. He's there in the meeting with them wearing a Barbie necklace.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought the movie was hilarious but I also thought that someone read the wikipedia articles for feminism and patriarchy then went with that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Went and saw it again. Sold out show. Was even better the 2nd time around.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly after watching it a second time. I think I'm pretty confident that Ken is a gay man and that's his truth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, but let’s just out and say it: Barbie dolls have never actually had the power to “set feminism back” very much at all. It’s like the old story about Star Trek having the first inter-racial kiss on TV, when it wasn’t. It was only the most prominent example - the major network NBC coming late to the game, taking advantage of the work already done by, like, the civil rights movement in reality.

What I’m writing is simply that culture is downstream of politics. In order for Kendom toys to become a smash hit, the conditions would need to already be in place for people to accept Kung Fury junk. This is even shown in the film, when Will Ferrel checks a chart of data analytics or whatever, and it tells him that Kendom will be a viable product line.

But this raises that same question of who’d ever buy these Kendom toys? It’s a product line directed at Sasha: a “dark, weird” version of Barbie. The Mojo-Dojo playset is literally just a pre-vandalized Malibu Dream House.

The two things that differentiate Jurassic Park dolls from other dinosaur toys are 1) that they’re literally branded with the Jurassic Park logo (in that meta sort of way) and 2) they tend to feature Dino DamageTM: simulated pre-destruction of the toy. Animals have removable limbs, cars have chunks missing, etc. Universal Studios has a simulated boat ride accident, and Kendom follows that same logic. The degradation of Barbieland is folded back into the Barbie brand, as a key component of it.

Anyways, the movie’s politics are well-summarized by how the dad character awkwardly cheers a leftist slogan and Gloria immediately chides him for cultural appropriation.

Did you actually watch the movie because Will Ferrell never checks a data chart saying Kendom will be successful. He calls some guy and the guy is like "Mojo Dojo Casa " is selling like crazy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yeah, I think its Gloria's idea of "ordinary, anxious Barbie" that he initially scoffs at then checks the charts.

The point still stands that toys reflect, but don't create, pre-established ideas. Like that's the lesson Barbie learns in the real world when she sees that the narrator who said Barbies solved inequality was lying, and that the aestheticia beauty of elderly women was novel to her simply because it isn't currently marketable.

Yea she pitches ordinary Barbie and the guy is using a Ipad and says "Oh yeah no that'll sell like crazy".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah he does; it's implicit from the later scene that he and the board do exactly that with Ordinary Barbie. They must have punched the phrase "Ironic Boy-Culture Ken" into the same computer before going ahead.

It's also just commonsense, because of course they're going to do focus testing and demographic research and whatnot. The film uses its "just a movie / all in her head" meta conceit and unrealistically breezy pace to elide the part where the toys are actually produced, but the diegetic Mattel company is still a company. Even if it is all in Gloria's head, she clearly believes (that Mattel's board believes) that there's insane demand for this Kendom stuff.

He literally does not do this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah its pretty clear that Barbieland is Glorias Barbieland. There's even a scene where she verbatim repeats that "Oh I had a weird Barbie and played with her too hard" which implies that weird Barbie is Gloria's weird Barbie. It also explains why Barbie's that were marketed toward adults like Sugar Daddie Barbie is there.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Barbies the first blockbuster movie where patriarchy is specifically the main enemy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Haha I never notice his name is actually "And Ken" not just Ken.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat it MacheteZ I've been paying attention to the Barbie thread all week and one night I go to bed and don't read it I miss my chance >:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Barbie is 100% queer coded and its evident in multiple scenes.