Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This reminded me a lot of The Holy Mountain (Jodorowsky), with plenty of 60s Demy and Godard. Also enjoyed the nod to Tati's Playtime with the Mattel HQ. This has a lovely balance of art and commerce, while doesn't dilute its satirical message (much like RoboCop). One of the best-photographed and lit films I've seen in a while, every performance is wonderful, and I'm going to have to watch it again to check out all the fascinating production design details.

I'm still giving this high marks, despite it calling me out personally at least twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Concerning the 70mm discussion...

Barbie was shot entirely with the Arri Alexa 65, which has the same size sensor as standard 65mm film and captures about 6.5K of horizontal pixels (roughly 2.4x the resolution of a 4K DCP).

Saw this a second time while on shrooms, this really has amazing rewatch value.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gloria's husband comes off as perfectly nice, just dorky. I can identify with that.

Just like the jokes around the Kens, there's nothing mean, it's all relatable. My wife and I have been repeating "HERE, LET ME SHOW YOU" often.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I don't think the narrator added anything to the movie. If I saw it a second time, I'd like to see a no-narrator cut

Helen Mirren narrating is absolutely a nod to Documentary Now! and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

roomtone posted:

also michael cera as allan was really underused. they keep cutting to him but he never says much.

:thejoke: