Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’ve just returned from an employee screening of this movie.

It’s loving insane. I can’t really catalog all my thoughts about it in any order because they’re so scattershot and disparate but I read a review that characterized it as the most “anti-blockbuster blockbuster” movie ever made and that seems about the right of it. I was expecting a Greta Gerwig flavored Barbie movie; what I got was a Greta Gerwig movie that just happened to star Barbie. Overall I greatly enjoyed it but I feel like its overall messaging and emotional thrust somehow both doesn’t completely work and utterly aware it doesn’t completely work. It feels like a movie that somehow uses the fact that it is not completely emotionally satisfying and sort of…confused to its benefit, trying to address some sort of deeper, quixotic statement about the human condition and internalizing its own hypocrisies and recognizing the dichotomy as deeply personal and human over, say, whatever bullshit Joss Whedon shits out when he puts a hat on something regressive while engaging in it. Ultimately it meets the viewer in good faith and tries to be honest and reflective of the human experience instead of just pointing it out to win imaginary cinemasins points like, again, everything Whedon has ever put out. That all being said, it’s an exhausting and overwhelming watch that never lets up, although ultimately I did very much enjoy it.

Oh, and the final scene is perfection. No notes. It’s, sincerely, a perfect final note to tie the movie up with and genuinely a beautiful sequence.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fez_machine posted:

It's weird and probably indicative of how brand controlled this movie actually was, that a Barbie movie feels as conventionally heterosexual as this one does.

Also I have no idea what this guy is talking about, the climax of this movie is one of the gayest things ever put on screen short of actual gay sex.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don’t think little kids, like kids under tiktok age and aren’t at least somewhat online, would get Literally Anything out of this movie outside the loving incredible set and prop design. Like every joke is based off poking fun at the weird sexist/sex-positive dual role Barbie the doll plays in modern society, with a heaping helping of commentary on corporate capitalism, pinkwashing, and general neoliberal thought. There’s not a bunch of pratfalls and pies being thrown in faces is my point.