Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ken doesn't bring patriarchy to Barbieland. Barbieland is a fantasy realm that was already entirely controlled and sustained by Mattel and Warner Bros Discovery (whose HQ is conspicuously visible from the Mattel boardroom's window). This means that it was always an outgrowth of the patriarchy in "the real world".
The biggest question I had about the movie is why is the other company on the right side during that shot… General Motors?

I had a lot of fun watching it. Ken had an interesting story arc and it ending with him getting the opportunity to be his own person but independent of Barbie was the best outcome for him.

Lots of Biblical/Plato's cave issues now that the Barbies (and Ken's) know of the real world and how the dynamics between women and men really are.

Now I expect Gerwig's sequel to be He-Man which would use the same toy/real world logic as this movie did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Badger of Basra posted:

yes so much of the good Ken stuff is in the second half which is what made me feel that way, which I guess you could say is actually on purpose in a meta way because that's also when he's taken over Barbieland

I just wanted a (second) dance number with all the Barbies

I saw that :ninja: edit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I can't remember my Barbie life but was Earring Magic Ken actually marketed as gay?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Allan is the only person in Barbieland that actually can and will inflict physical violence, yet he is often ignored by the rest of their society.

Allan is the school shooter of Barbieland.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you think I'm dissing Allan you're sorely mistaken. That guy will throw hands at the drop of a hat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shneak posted:

But then again, I'm just a Ken.

Why settle for being a Ken when you can be an Allan?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Panfilo posted:

Allan could be seen as a soyboy quisling who represents acceptable 'masculinity' by leftists. If they find anything unacceptable about him it's the idea he could beat up 5 construction Kens by himself.

I was under the impression the construction workers were from the real world under the orders of Mattel to not let any more Barbies (or Kens) from escaping.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sounds like the baby was having none of the feminist messaging the movie was trying to push on it.

I await the baby's TwitterX thread about it being so "woke."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
They should get Amy Schumer back in for the sequel.

Also :lol: Google search engine.
https://i.imgur.com/Kmqs6uc.mp4

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

AvesPKS posted:

I'm just laughing picturing Ken as the protagonist of Only God Forgives. Or Half Nelson. Or Drive. He's not exactly Gary Oldman, disappearing into his roles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pure.

Marketing.

Synergy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Android Apocalypse posted:

Why settle for being a Ken when you can be an Allan?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

AvesPKS posted:

https://youtu.be/7U4ZYOBzEEs

And it won't even run down your battery.
Verhoeven didn't direct Robocop 2. That was Star Wars Episode II: The Empire Strikes Back director Irvin Kershner. :goonsay:

Bonus screenwriting credit to Frank Miller too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHST6w3A8es

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Robocop 2 was the 1st R-rated movie I saw in the theater, so it's a touchstone film for me.

I'm waiting to hear back from some friends that wanted to see Barbie today.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My friends bailed on seeing Barbie today.

That is my Barbie news for the day.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also saw this for the 2nd time (at the Empirical Theater in OMSI*) & caught a couple things:
-The building that can be see me to the right of Warner Brothers Discovery is General Motors. Also explains why all the cars are Chevrolets (including Barbie's convertible).
-When Barbie realizes her memories from the real world was Gloria's during her rescue & subsequent car chase, Sasha interrupts by saying "We're you two just shining right now?" It's a reference to that other Warner Bros. movie that had people sharing memories telepathically.**

Allan still is my favorite character in the movie. I did notice that when the Barbies were deprogrammimg the brainwashed ones Allan tries going over a fence, which he can't. Apparently men in the movie can't vault over structures.

I was wrong thinking the construction workers were from the real world. They were also Ken's. Also Allan referencing the other Allan's that escaped to The Real World has to be NSYNC, which when he said "even that one" he's referencing Justin Timberlake. Then I remembered NSYNC had this video…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMlWwIXg3M
:aaaaa:

*I was not on shrooms
**of course I'm talking about Space Jam: A New Legacy. :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Last night's viewing had a lot more kids (tween-age & younger) than when I saw it opening night. After the film my friends waiting in line for the bathroom overheard some girls talking about it. Consensus was generally positive (one did say it was boring) and Gloria's speech was pretty enlightening.

I think the kids will be all right.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

AvesPKS posted:

I just miss the Transformers thread

It's still going!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Darko posted:

Then 9-11 happened, and the world literally turned into Starship Troopers completely and you got all the revisionist and new takes that praise it. Very few people accepted/understood it correctly. I "got it" due to being on the outskirts of American society due to race, but most people were still fully bought in then to the goodness of people.
I genuinely wonder if being non-white helped in instantly recognizing the satire of Starship Troopers. I'm not white and was laughing in the theater when I first saw it, while my white friends just say there confused over the whole thing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I took the inability of men to overcome walls as an issue that girls don't play with Ken dolls like they do with Barbies; they're more or less accessories and are not played with as much.

Will Farrell & the Mattel board members also not being able to go over obstacles may also be if you follow the "this is from Gloria's perspective" theory.

Or it's just a funny running joke.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I also figured that Push is right in Greta Gerwig's wheelhouse as she's a Gen X'er.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Matchbox 20 kinda hit it late 90's/early 2000's MTV Total Request Live era as rock was swinging back to more corporate stuff. I was already in college at that point so I missed that.

If this was the type of music Greta Gerwig grew up with I just realized she's younger than me.
:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Poor Things had amazing costumes & sets. Better than Barbie? Personally, I thought it was a toss-up. :shrug: