Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just saw this, movie funny

The Big Speech was very Feminism 101 but that didn't really bother me since the plot of the movie is literally about introducing feminism to a sheltered population with no real world experience of it (and hopefully the movie manages to do the same in real life.) It's well delivered and does a lot to set up the catharsis of Barbie's speech to Ken (which, since the plight of the Kens is a funhouse mirror version of the struggle of women in the real world, is also about the struggle of women) and Ruth's speech to Barbie, which was a surprisingly solid punch at a point in the movie when I was expecting a trite wrap-up. It's a very corporate product and obviously it's not going to actually be subversive but I'm relieved they gave it as much wiggle room as they did, because the message could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Skulker posted:

The only thing we see the husband do is make mistakes and look a bit awkward. His only scene with other characters features him being corrected, immediately and loudly, by his family. A badass thing Gloria does is immediately highlighted as being nothing to do with him. I don't think he's a loser, but I wouldn't judge anyone for having that reading.

What a strangely paced movie. Barbie pretty much resolves her character arc 20 minutes in by sitting in a park and being nice to an old lady and just...hangs around after that. Ken resolves his with a big song and dance number - he's Ken, he's enough - and then has the exact same revelation again in the next scene. Gloria's big moments seem to be the monologue and the suggestion of a Normal Barbie, except when we first see her she's obviously in that place anyway so ultimately nobody learned anything and everything went right back to where it was, except now Barbie has a vagina and will die, hooray.

Gloria's arc is nominally about reconnecting with her teenage daughter, which winds up being mostly a footnote.

On balance I think it's a good thing that Barbie (and everyone else) ultimately fails to accomplish anything except unfucking her own mess. There's not much of a call to action, Barbie isn't changing the world for the better and won't even really improve your life. As far as corporate propaganda goes it's pretty lowkey, a very defensive sort of spin. Look how bumbling and harmless and lacking in agency Mattel is, Barbie just sort of exists on her own trying to survive in the same hellworld as all of us :shobon:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Valentin posted:

this is, no joke, the most poisonous, lowest, and disgusting form of corporate propaganda the movie could have engaged in by a country mile. absolutely vile and loathsome stuff.

Is it? I suppose there's a certain insidiousness to it as compared to a more obviously pro-brand consumption spin but I think enough people would be susceptible to the pro-brand consumption spin anyhow that I think this might be the lesser evil.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Without the narration, it isn't funny.

Gonna call bullshit on this, 2001 parodies are always funny.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think you can defend the narrator laying out the premise of Barbie World, but the 2001 segment in particular is only held back by the narration. The visual storytelling already quite bluntly spells out everything the narrator says, and it's a reference to a scene which famously has no dialogue or narration so the narrator only serves to weaken the parody. It's a testament to the intrinsic humor of the scene that it's still funny in spite of the narrator.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Huh, I guess I stand corrected then! I suppose I did work as an aide in a daycare for a few years, so I might have internalized some assumptions about different patterns of play that might not otherwise be obvious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just because Margot Robbie doesn't turn into the camera and say "Now that I am a real woman I have a vagina, which is synonymous with womanhood" doesn't mean there aren't unintended symbolic implications to the ending scene. Yes, the explicit text of the ending speech is the very inclusive message that Barbie doesn't need anyone's permission in order to be the person she wants to be. But that just makes the contrast with the subtext of the ending gag more jarring, not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I thought that Ryan Gosling's look was intentionally that way. I vaguely recall some of the passersby checking him out appreciatively instead of snickering.