Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a social commentary comedy

That’s not very good at that, while hiding behind “it doesn’t have to be and isn’t asking to be!”. This is basically a movie that online you have to say you like or you get attacked for. Gosling is great.

The speech about how it’s impossible to be a woman I’ve heard fifteen different times spoken more earnestly on social media over the last dozen years, and Greta is too smart and good at what she does to not have me feel like it’s just cynical as gently caress.

I went with a big group. Most of them loved it. I felt grossed out. I went in wanting to like it. I really did. And yet… it feels super Hetoronormative in a gross way. The jealousy beat felt like it would
Have been outdated from a late 90’s movie.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rarity posted:

Yes it's not a new message but there's still a difference between putting something in a meme that reaches a few thousand people on social media and putting it in a movie that's going to make a billion dollars which people will be watching for years

No for sure. I think my frustration is that it felt regressive and non self reflective in its “sameness”. But I’m a very online person (trying to be less and less) so that’s as much on me.