Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBk4NYhWNMM

After a tiff with Warner Brothers over streaming being not real art or something, famed director Christopher Nolan has moved to Universal to follow up the mega success of Tenet with his new film, Barbie. While a bit of a swerve for the established director, who previously was known for cerebral dramas and gritty, grounded sci-fi fare, Nolan has decided to make a film providing some form of meta-commentary on a toy line that has defined generations of young girls, a simultaneous celebration and deconstruction of the character - similar to what he did for Batman, but now turned to something Nolan has always been passionate about writing; female characters.

Filmed in 70mm IMAX, a format supported by approximately thirty theaters nationwide and capable of converting to digital resolutions of up to 18K, Barbie will be Nolan's newest gambit to prove Cinema Isn't Dead and will probably still look okay on your local mall's digital projector from 2002. While plot details have been kept secretive, Barbie will likely deliver all the postmodern riffs you can expect from other toy classics like The Lego Movie, Battleship, and Playmobil: The Movie.

What movies do I have to watch before this one?

Oh, boy.

Will there be an original soundtrack?

No, but Nolan has recommended accompanying your three-hour drive to a proper IMAX theater with f#a# ∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Is this Cillian Murphy's final role?

Sadly, this is the final role Murphy filmed before turning into an actual Ken doll, but production is still wrapping on his role for Kraven the Hunter.

Is the Aqua song in this?

I don't know but that would be pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Who is this movie for?

The movie theater previews kinda flew over the younger kids’ heads, and I’m not sure if people dancing in a pink house or barbie getting sexually assaulted is supposed to pack the theater with kiddos.

Gooniest thing I can imagine to look at a movie tracking for a $100 million+ opening weekend and say “who is this movie for?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Disappointed in this one. Goes in the same bucket as the Knives Out movies for me in terms of "films that are entertaining enough comedies but get a ton of praise for being brilliant social satire when they're really, really not." Set design was great, as were the performances, and I think I even noticed Robbie's makeup job becoming less and less "perfect" as the film went on and she became more "human" but its battle of the sexes stuff just boils down to a bunch of annoying culture war poo poo and the central conflict is literally solved by "be sure to vote right so we can fill the Supreme Court with women." Nobody tell them about Amy Coney Barrett I guess.

Would've loved to see the version of this film that had an Alexandre Desplat score instead of Mark Ronson with a promotional tie-in album.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Recoome posted:

I'm not sure I watched the same movie as the posters who call it not anti-patriarchy, I really thought that the movie puts it to the viewers how the patriarchy harms everyone.

It’s not anti-patriarchy because it’s not realistic about what the patriarchy is and therefore can’t be realistic about its solutions. There is some genuine subversion happening in how the Kens are only mimicking what they think patriarchy is supposed to be and not what it is, but that just means it has no actual commentary on the patriarchy IRL. Taking a woman on a date where she watches you play guitar for four hours is annoying and stupid, but it’s not oppressive, nobody has ever been traumatized by Wonderwall. As SMG noted above, Mattel likely wouldn’t have allowed Gerwig and Baumbach to write Ken as genuinely bigoted.

In the end, the solutions proposed by the film are to vote right so more women can get on the Supreme Court, and also that there should be more women executives. Our protagonist is saved by the president of a corporation who committed tax evasion, and the film’s acknowledgements of this feel less like accountability and more like lampshading.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Recoome posted:

Ah jeez its a movie about Barbies

Do you want to talk about the movie or not?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Also, it's not just Gloria's Barbieland. It's everyone's.

That's straight-up not true within the text of the film. Gloria repeatedly comments on how all the toys within Barbieland were ones she had growing up.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

Thank you for mansplaining feminism

You shouldn’t assume everyone who disagrees with you is a man.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

And it is also valid to point out that more people will see Barbie than, say, Hidden Figures. I don't know what Hidden Figures is.

It was nominated for three Academy Awards, made $230 million at the box office, and played in 2500 theaters.

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

70mm film is male coded.

Jesus Christ.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 2, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Fury Road, for all its right on political satire and feminism, visually worked on massive car chases, chrome, a guy shredding guitar riffs hooked up to a truck, empowered female characters who also happen to be models who also happen to not be wearing very much. There is such a thing as gendered aesthetics.

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

A female director can use 70mm, sure, but in that they would be taking on a masculine aesthetic role.

These are some of the most gender-essentialist posts I’ve ever read all in service of a supposedly feminist film.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Barbie opened in over 4,000 theaters and has already grossed nearly a billion dollars in less than two weeks. Hidden Figures was successful, but "more people will see Barbie than Hidden Figures" is a factual statement.

Not even close to what I was saying. Hidden Figures was a huge film. If you haven’t heard of it that’s on you not the movie industry, and reducing it to “yeah but I haven’t heard of it” is a self-own that minimizes its significance for women because it didn’t make literally a billion dollars.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 2, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The masculine urge to shoot a movie in 70mm

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
All this is doing is illustrating the film’s central problem - because it spends all of its time on what the patriarchy does to culture rather than what it does to civil rights, we are now sitting here like a bunch of lunatics trying to argue which inanimate objects are coded as what gender. Shoe insoles are feminine. Traffic cones are masculine. Cool Ranch Doritos… non-binary.

There is some genuine subversion happening in how the Kens don’t really know what patriarchy is but their mere attempts at it wind up enforcing it anyways - but because we spend so much of the film on a bunch of battle of the sexes jokes straight out of a Leno monologue, that means the film has little to say about the actual patriarchy itself, and also winds up “assigning” different hobbies and interests to respective sexes, like women have never really been into The Godfather or horses. If you think along these lines, the logic behind posts like L.H.O.O.Q.’s become perfectly structured - such as saying that 70mm film is masculine and then admitting one post later you don’t know what it is.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’d never heard of Push having a big “guy with a guitar” fanbase but when it started playing in this movie I did think “oh I’ve always loving hated that song.” Maybe an earlier draft used Wonderwall.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It doesn’t help that the majority of the humor in the middle of the movie was all about “boys like these things but girls like these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Doesn’t she say something like “I don’t even have a vagina! And he doesn’t have a penis!” Earlier?

Yes, to the construction crew who cat-called her. I believe that is what SMG was getting at in this quote but typo'd what was supposed to be "since that's not at the end of the film but partway into the runtime."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even act of saying “vagina” is unexceptional, since that the end of the film but partway into the runtime.

Cojawfee posted:

When you make a big effort post based on you misremembering a line in a movie.

I would prefer this over making snarky low-effort posts because they won't bother reading others'.