Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

It is very clear that she is a woman throughout the entire movie, including when she does not have a vagina.

This is actually the point of the opening scene and it's riff on 2001 where it makes clear that prior to the creation of Barbie womanhood was designated by the biological function of motherhood. (I don't agree with this but I do believe that this is what the movie is trying to say in that scene.)

The arrival of Barbie like the obelisk is meant to imply that womanhood is primarily a matter of self-determination and not biology, and that this is revolutionary not unlike the introduction of weaponry to humankind.

The bulk of the movie then is essentially the struggle of white western liberal feminism where we've agreed that gender is construction but nonetheless it holds women back more than men. See SMG's post which clearly outlines the problems that are created when you try to align white western feminism and capitalism.

I think this is why the closing scene does seem off, because it seems to contradict the opening scene in that it's a return to biological based determinism, but in the context of what's come before in the movie I do think the clear reading is that we've never had any doubts that Barbie is a woman even though she doesn't have a vagina so you can see that biological determinism is still dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU