Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Computer Serf posted:

That sorta seems like the point. Ken is ironically more oppressed by design of Mattels objectification of Ken as more like an accessory. Ken then just becomes obsessed with the bimbofied idea of a horse as an accessory to men, like all he knows is objectification and power dynamics.

Horses are symbolic of power, nobility, obedience, and man’s objectification of living creatures.
Its an accessory to the cowboy theme, but for Ken it’s simply a fascination with what he discovered in the real world after seeing cops riding horses and checking out a big (picture) book on war.
Also note that Ken specifically does a dance-off set to 80s music because one of the glimpses of masculinity he saw in the real world was John Travolta doing the same. It's thematically consistent for his idea of masculinity to be deeply flawed and based on misunderstood snippets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Gloria has to introduce the pain of reality into this perfect system because, well… what are the stakes again? That the Barbie brand will be discontinued?
The stakes are that without breaking the rule of Kens, Ken dolls instead of Barbie dolls will sell like hotcakes and set feminism back 50 years

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The movie firmly establishes a heightened reality in which the real life gets directly influenced by things happening in Barbieland, it is thus text that Barbie dolls actually have a lot of power and having toxic Ken dolls have power is bad. This serves to underline the main theme, which is "man this is ridiculous, it couldn't happen in real life, because that is much stupider"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Loved the speech in Rogue One where they went "I kill Imperials because they are space nazis, and nazis are a real problem in the real world where they too should be exterminated, but the system protects them for profit reasons". Bit simplistic but heartwarming

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 31, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The characters in Rogue One are killing Nazis fr. Like, they’re not pretending.

Y’all ever seen the Hunger Games movies?
Much as it was my personal Barbieland as a kid, the Star Wars universe is not real and never calls itself "the real world". Conversely, men are presented as men in Barbie but the Empire does not call itself The Third Reich.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sucker Punch rules I watched it twice for the fight scenes and how dark it goes

Like, this only makes sense if you're counting movies where a character turns to the camera and directly identifies the abstract concept of patriarchy as the villain.
that is the entire core of the argument tho

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Some of you have been posting in CineD for so long that you forgot that there IS a difference between subtext and text. Fury Road has strong feminist themes, but put it next to Barbie and ask a random person which movie is about feminism, they'll point to the latter 99% of the time. Fury Road is about cars and awesome action first and uses that as a vehicle (heh) to say some very poignant things about exploitation and power. Barbie is about feminism first, and somehow, unexpectedly, only secondarily a pink comedy. That is what people are pointing out here and it's extremely uncharitable to read it as "Fury Road [and other examples] are insufficiently feminist".

And it is also valid to point out that more people will see Barbie than, say, Hidden Figures. I don't know what Hidden Figures is. I watched Barbie because it's current and a lot of people said it's fun but also surprisingly clever.

That does not mean that I or other people who pointed that out think Barbie is the first good carrier of a feminist message because it finally bluntly reaches the doofuses. That's not the text of those posts, it's an interpretation of what you think they mean. And that brings us back to the initial statement about text and subtext.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

These are some of the most gender-essentialist posts I’ve ever read all in service of a supposedly feminist film.

Not even close to what I was saying. Hidden Figures was a huge film. If you haven’t heard of it that’s on you not the movie industry, and reducing it to “yeah but I haven’t heard of it” is a self-own that minimizes its significance for women because it didn’t make literally a billion dollars.
It's not a reduction, it's an anecdote. I'm simply relating my personal experience, you can find that useful or not, but it's not supposed to be a huge thread-ending argument. I'm not a movie buff, I'm not a cinema afficionado, I watch a lot of big movies because they seem fun and that's what reaches me. I'm giving this perspective because I think it's similar to what a lot of casual movie-goers have, and not too many of those are posting here.

If you want another "self-own", here's a fun one: when I first saw Starship Troopers it was on German TV in, dunno, 2005. I saw the intro and immediately hated the movie because I thought it was typical jingoistic American propaganda, because post-9/11, you saw the US go crazy from overseas and just assumed that was what they were about. "At least the action is cool".

I didn't find out when the movie actually came out or thought "maybe it's meant to be over the top propaganda...for a reason..." until I started posting here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if it really saves anything, because the Kens are still powerless now. It seems like a lot of people are coming at this from the perspective that it's ok to oppress the Kens because men have power in the real world, where the Kens don't live. But don't worry, one day they might have some power.
The fact that this is not a good solution for the Kens is precisely the point. The movie blatantly states "in a darkly ironic twist, Kens will go back to being oppressed and maybe we will manage to make them slightly less oppressed but still very powerless" while putting a finger in the deep wound of equality in the real world being not solved no matter how many feminist speeches a mainstream movie is allowed to make. Barbie leaves Barbieland because while the real world sucks, Barbieland sucks more!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

No normal person has ever thought about film roll breadth or whatever 70 mm means, the joke would not have worked because of that you tedious nerds

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I do feel the gynecologist joke at the end misses the mark. It’s a joke about how Barbie dolls don’t have genitals, yes. But in what’s already a pretty cis movie the throwaway line reeks of gender essentialism.
Do you think it would have been funnier if the dad took her to a urologist instead

EDIT: my wife said "proctologist! Everybody has an rear end in a top hat - much like an opinion"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Another, albeit weaker, approach is to take the fantasy scenario and read it as science fiction. Under this approach, Barbieland is subject to physical laws and we can speculate as to how the mermaid ecosystem works when the water is a solidified mass of petrochemicals, etc. What's the mechanism that allows Barbie to hover? You can do this sort of thing, but it just isn't very interesting.
Why would you not read the fantasy scenario as, you know, fantasy?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'd never heard Push before but it sounded so incredibly generic that I thought they'd just made up a song with nonsense lyrics and a few guitar strums for the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

I'm astounded that you didn't at least hear it in a bar at some point. It was a song I heard everywhere for a bit.
Not a big bar goer, also German (I don't think it runs on our radio stations?). Nevertheless, it's so generic that I literally thought they made it up as an amalgamation of similar songs, if I ever heard it it went through my ears like they were coated with Teflon.