Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that Just Ken is basically Ken almost getting it but not quite finishing the thought. He thinks that he means that he's only Ken and therefore incomplete as a glorified accessory, but he doesn't finish the thought because he doesn't know how. "I'm just Ken, and that's fine. I'm not '...and Ken'. I'm Ken. Just Ken, on my own, and I need to figure out what that means to me." Also it's the first time he properly dissociates from the Beach part of his name - he's not Beach Ken who can only do Beach, he's Just Ken.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bogus Adventure posted:

May I ask why?

Because most men are 70mm long.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I think the biggest laugh in our showing was when they bleeped out "Motherfucker" with a little Mattel logo. I laughed really hard at that one, although less at the logo than at the absurdity of having a Barbie shout "motherfucker" in a pg-13 film to begin with

It's one of the few times it's done in a novel way because it's also a joke about Mattel attempting to cut all the sharp edges off the movie (by which I mean in most other family movies a character swearing when they shouldn't be is the entire joke, the only movies that I've seen that did something clever with it was this movie, because there was a cute meta reason for it; and the Croods: A New Age because it was built up to over the course of the movie).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

My wife also liked it, was slightly disappointed that all the funniest characters were men,

I think that might just be because the men were playing naive buffoons a lot of the time, like Will Ferrell being really earnest about wanting to keep Barbie's brand pure because he genuinely wants to inspire little girls and just being blind to his own privelege and lack of female colleagues. Those kinds of roles just got most of the jokes because the women had to drive the plot forward.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

That's not really what happens at all... the Kens could vote, they just forget to because they're fighting a Ken civil war. And yeah, the Barbies helped sparked that civil war, but imho it still reads as the kens causing their own downfall by succumbing to their toxic masculine traits absurdly easily

I thought how they ended up doing it was kind of lame, as they were like "We'll turn the patriarchy against itself" so I thought that instead of playing dumb relationship games they'd split the base, seed the idea that "Yeah, kens will rule, but why does BEACH Ken get to the president? Surely lifeguard ken/surfer ken/construction worker ken would be better!" and let them fracture as they argued over which man would rule, and the women would band together under a unified vote. What they ended up doing had very little to do with the patriarchy and was more about monogamous relationships.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also it's about how things are perceived. A man going on about the Godfather is a cinephile, but if I were allowed to go on for as long as I wanted to about the themes in the Croods movies I'd be asked if I were autistic (even though I can back up my points from cinematography and dialog within the movies).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I'm always talking at my girlfriend about the bro-coded, shot on 70mm film My Fair lady.

The Mansplaining the Godfather thing can be summarised in one song from My Fair Lady. "Don't talk of themes, how history transpired. If you want to inspire, SHOW ME!" aka just put the movie on watch it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drhermes posted:

That's not about gender, it's about the worth of the Godfather compared to the Croods as films, though. A man going on about the symbolism in Beany and Cecil wouldn't be taken as seriously as a woman going on about Rabbit Proof Fence.

That's what I meant by perception - both movies have themes to discuss but only one of them actually gets that kind of discussion because the other one gets dismissed as not having anything worth talking about because it's an unpopular family comedy and not a serious crime drama, and if someone tries to talk about the untalked about one people assume there's something wrong with them (not saying there's anything wrong with being on the spectrum but the question often comes with the underlying assumption that there is, ie "What are you, autistic?", the tone of the question has the same sound as "Are you broken?"). Also I am a man, so gender never entered my argument.

Also something interesting in the movie is in Barbieland none of the barbies are allowed to be average. The leader is The President, the author is a nobel prize winner, the journalist is a pulitzer level writer. It's not enough for the women to have jobs, like in the real world they have to excel far beyond what a man would have to to get the same respect. They can't cook their own brain like Jordan Peterson and get away with no hit to their credibility, they HAVE to be perfect. As Cat Grant puts it in Supergirl, "When I worked at the Planet with Perry White, one day he got angry and threw a chair out of his office window. However, he could get away with that because he's a man. I can't throw a chair out of a window. I have to keep calm, or risk being looked at as less of a person because I can't 'control my emotions'."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 5, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drhermes posted:

That's incredibly dumb dialogue, to be sure. The publisher would have Perry White in his office in no time and he'd be punished hard. That's overlooking the charges for reckless endangerment after the police came to ask about the chair hitting the sidewalk from however many stories up. I suppose you could take it that the incident didn't "really" happen, it was just Cat Grant making things up.

It also shows how much information I get about this sort of thing from the media, I just didn't realise that that was exactly the opposite of how things work, because I'm a cis male whos never really had to deal with that sort of thing myself, so I'm reliant on anecdotes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Would have been hilarious if that had been the headline that day. "Perry White reacts poorly to bad news, is reminded that he works at a NEWSPAPER"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Imagine if in the background of the movie Physicist Barbie sets off a nuke, then later on she's at the Barbie Hague for crimes against Barbiekind/dollmanity. "We have done it. Now we are all Mattel executives... I am become death, destroyer of brands..." The true Barbenheimer. I just love how it became a thing because the movies couldn't be more different, but they've become mashed together in the cultural lexicon like a popculture Brundlefly. People say we are in the dumbest timeline for political reasons, but this is just kind of a harmless example as it's a very silly conflation.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 5, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Although it did remind me of the Sexy Angry Tango from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend so that's a bonus, the bit after Rebecca playfully slaps nathaniel in their daydream sequence
this whole bit is sung:
Nathanial: "I cannot slap you back, because you are a lady."
Rebecca: "This clearly is a double-standard... .
both: but it's probably for the best."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also people taking the ending really badly not realising the implicit "Kens may become as equal in this world as women are in the real one (and people are constantly fighting for more equality and more and more people support that so one day that may not be as backhanded as it sounds)".

Similarly, Barbie and Ken aren't necessarily broken up. Ken's just figuring out who he is without her, but once he's done that, if he still wants to pursue a life with her in it, whether romantic or platonic, he CAN. He can make the same decision she did and go to the real world permanently if he decides it's right for him. Much like Steven Universe and it's ilk, the story hasn't ended, it's just that we can't see the next bit.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 5, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rarity posted:

Can't be broken up because they were never a couple

Point taken, I'll rephrase to "They may not be apart forever depending on what they want to do next."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did love the gag in the opening where everyone reacts really positively to being greeted EXCEPT if it's a ken greeting another ken.

Just like

quote:

Barbie A: Hi Barbie!
Barbie B: Hi Barbie!
Ken C: Hi Barbie!
Barbie A: Hi Ken!
Ken D: Hi Barbie!
Beach Ken: Hi Ken!
Ken D: -_-

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's why Allan's so chill. He knows exactly where he lies with Midge. The Kens' things are vaguely defined, but Allan is canonically the father to Midge's eternal pregnancy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

Robocop 2 was the 1st R-rated movie I saw in the theater, so it's a touchstone film for me.

I'm waiting to hear back from some friends that wanted to see Barbie today.

It's funny you say that, Barbie is the Robocop of Barbie movies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Some movies are always fun to imagine the post-script after the fact, like it's endlessly amusing to imagine stuff like (spoilers for this movie to be clear because the topic is starting to broaden)Barbara hanging out in a bar a year or two later ranking Saw movies with her friends

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ok Mr Shapiro, but please place your order and move to the next window...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Mark Kermode's Barbie review, he calls Ken "An appendage without an appendage" which is pretty funny. His opinions seem to map onto mine very frequently which is interesting because looking at him I'd have dismissed him as more of a curmudgeon but he genuinely goes into movies looking to enjoy them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Skulker posted:

Ken resolves his with a big song and dance number - he's Ken, he's enough - and then has the exact same revelation again in the next scene.

I read that as the Kens not quite finishing the thought. They haven't fully internalised what it means to just be Ken, so the lyrics are more them almost getting it but not finishing the thought. They realise that they deserve better, but don't go all the way and are still thinking of the Barbies as completing them, hence brainwashing them into being subservient. They don't truly realise what it means to be Just Ken until Barbie encourages them to drop the "just" or "and" or any other qualifier and think what does Ken mean on it's own.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

La Louve Rouge posted:

I was too busy looking at Hari Nef to consider that reading

IDK, the scene where Barbie becomes an Adult Human Chicken was a bit suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've never minded comedies that are not laugh-out-loud funny as long as it's for the right reasons, even if some of the jokes fall flat I can appreciate the story for engaging with the themes in a meaningful way, and having the confidence to do so. Barbie was not one of those movies, it was funny throughout (I'm not saying it's not engaging with it's themes, it does both very well), but it's why I appreciate movies like the first Croods, because it tried to go somewhere and follow through. The second was funnier, but I respect the first one too.