Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

thoughtdump post: saw an early screening in LA last night. i knew i was going to enjoy it, but i didn't think it was going to be THIS good.

ryan gosling is a comedic loving genius. my friend and i were loudly cracking up basically every time he was on screen. the whole audience was way into everything going on pretty much the entire time.

as for the demographic, it was mostly late twenties and thirty-somethings, but to my surprise there were a few adolescents there with their parents. i actually wound up sitting next to a little girl who had to have been maybe 11 or so? her and her mom were dressed up, and the kid seemed to be enjoying it more/as much as the parent. the kid leaned over to whisper something to the mom when greta gerwig and noah baumbach's names appeared on screen in the beginning and i chuckled thinking she was like "see, mom, that's the guy who did squid and the whale!"

i, along with a handful of others in the theater, wore deliberately over the top pink outfits, and i've never felt more spiritually connected to other film goers than this. not even for opening night at endgame or whatever. everyone was full send for something ridiculous and it was tons of fun.

and as ridiculous as the movie can be and mostly is, i think there's a good amount of greta/noah "real world heaviness" to it (applied through the lens of a toy brand) that lends credit to the movie for anyone who might disregard this as some cash grab to sell more products. the ending montage accomplishes so much with so little, and i couldn't help but think that it was far superior to what damien chazelle was trying to accomplish at the end of babylon (which was loving awful).

the juxtaposition of how men and women are, should be, are perceived, etc is done really well (again, for toy brand) and i appreciate how far they went with it. i think it says some things people won't expect it to say, and it says them more blatantly than a lot of other movies would or could get away with bc of the subject matter. at the end of the day, it can be criticized for being hypocritical bc no matter how meta or self referential mattel goes about the barbie brand, this movie is undoubtedly going to sell more barbies. but who loving cares? it works as a comedy and has some genuinely heartfelt things to say.

someone upthread asked who this movie was for. after the credits rolled, i couldn't help but think "who ISN'T this movie for?" i would recommend it to anyone i know whether they*like movies* or not, and if anyone who gives it a chance and thinks it's bad, i'd be pretty surprised.

i'm seeing it again tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i would say it's not for younger kids who you don't want to have hear direct references to vaginas and penises .

it's also not for men with fragile egos. there's a healthy amount of poking fun at the patriarchy that will trigger macho meatheads. i have bro dude tendencies, and i roll my eyes at some marvel shoehorned social commentary poo poo, but i'm also able to laugh at the "condition" of men in modern society and how absurd it is. this movie can be seen as a take down of masculinity (and im already seeing women on my instagram stories feed posting about how this movie will crush the patriarchy or whatever), but what i love about the movie is that in my opinion it actually shines a light on how men also have confusion about how or what they're supposed to be. it pays respect to all involved, tho i suppose there might be some backlash around lack of trans inclusion? but i wouldn't expect mattel to touch on that subject (either that or im ignorant to any that is included)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

tho i suppose there might be some backlash around lack of trans inclusion? but i wouldn't expect mattel to touch on that subject (either that or im ignorant to any that is included)

not patting myself on the back for being right about this take, but just resurfacing since it's coming up itt as more people start seeing it. and the topic of who this movie potentially "isn't for"

what im about to quote is undoubtedly corporate PR approved inclusion speech, but Hari Nef said this about trans inclusion in the movie:

https://www.them.us/story/hari-nef-barbie-trans-representation posted:

“[I]t’s inevitable that you’ll get struck down by external messages and obstacles of what you’ll never be and what you won’t be able to do,” Nef told Out. “As much as there’s a celebration of femininity and being a girl in this [movie], I think there’s also an encouragement of letting go of the checklist we ascribe to living and living your life and being in your body your way, on your own terms [...] The best that we can do as women, as trans women, is be there for each other and take ourselves at face value, without relying on the green light from someone or anyone else.”

im curious to anyone who wanted more out of it, or who found the lack of inclusion "gross".. what would have made it better? not asking in a "its your job to educate me" type way. answer or don't, its a discussion forum and im down to listen and learn.

aside from the above, i legit can't get it out of my head when ken asks barbie who she's texting and screeches KEN in frustration. ryan gosling for best supporting actor.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

x-posting from the pyf meme thread. it's low effort but, ironically, i couldn't get the idea out of my head all weekend