Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Felt like I was watching a high budget SNL skit. Couple of decent gags, but overall felt like a vapid meta commentary on the Barbie IP but it can't go far enough because it's the official Barbie movie.

The feminism commentary is the most basic cishet specific version of feminism, so I couldn't really connect with it on that angle either. Ryan Gosling was fun though.

Disappointing movie overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I, Butthole posted:

Yeah but as the film points out the basics of feminism are just absolutely loving undermined and need to be restated plainly and loudly

The movie wields the message with a sledgehammer but goddamn it loving needs to, especially because this is going to be a massive hit.

I just found it alienating. The movie is very invested in what being a woman is like, and a lot of it was exclusionary for a non-passing trans woman.

I suppose that is accidentally true to my experience with how people to speak to me about feminism as a trans person. Even now some mouth breathing goon is calling me a retard for having very light criticism of the Barbie movie that just taught them feminist ideas from 2013 tumblr.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To rephrase a different way: All I got out of this on a deeper level than finding some gags funny was gender dysphoria.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's fine, I'm more just dealing with my own dysphoria this weirdly caused in me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/travon/status/1682933439388078081?s=46

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mine was dead silent for that joke. The Godfather joke got a bunch of laughs

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As far as I can tell this thread seems to be going the way of the Black Panther thread where people put Barbie on a pedastal for its assumed breaking of the glass ceiling, and it is then used as shorthand to write off anyone who may disagree.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Frankly we need to upgrade our terminology to womansplain to all the mansplainers why they are mansplaining. To be inclusive it will now be referred to as amabsplaining. Furthermore if you did not feel the movie based on a famous toy line was special for making a lot of money, starring a blonde white woman, and pointing out that being a woman is hard work then you should honestly talk to some women in your life more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lobster Henry posted:

I’m not really seeing any of this. People are making arguments for the barbie film’s notability along these lines:

There have been multiple posts accusing various posters who are not men of mansplaining. An entire argument is happening that Barbie is especially important due to being a mainstream blockbuster with a feminist slant.

This is a rerun of Black Panther arguments where Black Panther was especially important for being the first black superhero. That itself was a rerun of arguments where Wonder Woman was especially important for being the first female superhero.