Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Pirate Jet posted:

the central conflict is literally solved by "be sure to vote right so we can fill the Supreme Court with women." Nobody tell them about Amy Coney Barrett I guess.

I think it would be a mis-reading to think the situation in Barbie-land at the end of the movie is presented as just, or even good. Helen Mirren says something like, “someday the Kens may have as much power in Barbie-land as women have in the real world.”

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I think it’s fairly obvious that the film doesn’t endorse Barbie-land’s matriarchy. The distress it engenders in Ken is the whole reason for the film’s main conflict! Barbie fairly obviously barely believes her ending monologue to Ken—it’s a main reason she wants to leave to become human!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-oppenheimer-box-office-1235542025/
In their opening weekends, Barbie's audience was 69% female and Oppenheimer's was 62% male.