Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I look forward to your breakdown of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I haven't seen the movie, but I think we can safely assume that this is exactly what happens.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, so: Matrix references. Lots of Matrix references.

The movie takes place inside the mind of the character Gloria, a Mattel employee. Gloria lives in "the real world", which is not the actual real world, but "reality" as depicted in what's explicitly a 'meta' advertisement starring various Hollywood actors. In other words, "Gloria" is actually America Ferrera, playing herself, playing Gloria - the fictional mascot who is set to become the new face of the Mattel company. This is how the movie cushions its messages: first by saying it's only a toy commerical, then by saying that it's all just this one person's silly fantasy within the commercial.

So, don't be fooled; we need to interrogate exactly those premises. But, given that we already agree that corporations are bad, any criticism of the film comes down to our ability to examine Gloria as she [strike]invents Flamin' Hot Cheetos[/strike] unironically reenacts the "Lisa Lionheart" storyline from that ancient Simpsons episode.

Like, where are Trans Ken, Wheelchair Ken, etc.? That's a rhetorical question, because the answer is simply that Gloria didn't think about that. It wouldn't fit into her conception of the Barbie brand, where Ken is (or should be) a vehicle for cisgendered girls* to safely confront harassment and microaggressions through parody. The "Kendom" thing clearly reveals that Gloria has no clue what kids actually like, outside her wheelhouse of "Barbie, but Weird Twitter". No way are Kendom products actually selling that much, even as ironic purchases.

In fact, isn't it kinda odd that there are effectively no children in the movie at all?

*The film's 'colourblindness' on such issues as trans rights leads to some odd scenes, like when Gloria makes Doctor Barbie stand up and... express generic criticism of tropes in romantic comedies? The elephant in the room is that Mattel wouldn't dare make Ken even subtly transphobic.

Yes! This is what I visit Cine_D for.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

Nwo looking ken

Hollywood Nick Hogan

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

It was an accident. They did Earring Magic Barbie and that was successful and Ken was failing, so they decided to try Earring Magic Ken. When they went out to research fashion trends at that time, they accidentally went to gay clubs and researched gay fashions.

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

Why settle for being a Ken when you can be an Allan?

:preacher:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What did the father say in Spanish at the end?

Joke Answer: "I gotta get me one of those mojo dojo house houses..."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Give Mojo Dojo Casa House a chance

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

QuoProQuid posted:

i remember sucker punch more for being extremely horny and garish more than any other qualities.

That says more about you than the movie, not gonna lie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

QuoProQuid posted:

don't want to turn this into the snyder thread, but i eagerly await the day when i am able enjoy one of zachary's movie instead of a bunch of straight men sitting me down and explaining to me what a deep and insightful skewering of nerd culture im watching and how all the male gaze-y shots are actually empowering

If my identity invalidates my opinion on the matter, then there are others who may qualify to explain why a movie about the girls who are betrayed and exploited by the law enforcement and foster care system (which is likely personal given that Snyder has adopted children) isn't meant to be titillating:

https://www.themarysue.com/why-its-time-to-release-zack-snyders-sucker-punch/

quote:

The negative backlash against Sucker Punch is especially peculiar considering that many accused the film of condoning the very subject matter that the film was critiquing. Snyder has repeatedly and consistently stated in interviews spanning from 2011 to 2021 that the film is an indictment of the misogynistic parts of geek culture that objectify women. In a post-Me-Too world, it is considerably easier to understand and articulate the subject matter of the film. Oscar Isaac’s bone chilling performance as the villainous Blue Jones can easily be seen as emblematic of the powerful studio executives, producers, CEOs, etc. that have been exposed as subjugating women (or people from other genders) through coercion or brute force. Blue Jones sees the women in the brothel as his possessions, and his obsession with trying to own and violate Babydoll is deeply unsettling.

This one is a deeper dive

https://www.thecompanion.app/zack-snyder-sucker-punch/

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

Right, they're not meant to be, but they are. Even the asylum level of reality is sexier than it should be. (Also the movie isn't helped by its recursively fictional/allegorical structure and the actual plot being kinda nonsense.)

This is "sexy"? I thought it was horrifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXG0dDrNQc

I'm not here to argue that one person's take is definitively correct and another's is wrong since the interpretation of art is inherently subjective. The movie I saw was about a girl who tries to save her younger sister from her stepfather's sexual abuse, and ends up being institutionalized in a corrupt system that takes advantage of the people they are meant to care for. She makes a plan to escape with her fellow prisoners, and uses her "dancing" or exploitation as a distraction so that others can get the items they need to escape the facility. In the end, she sacrifices herself so that one of her friends can escape. The plot is complicated and I'm not going to say that everything works perfectly, but I saw nothing titillating about the movie beyond pretty people being cast to play the parts. It's a horrifying gut punch.

EDIT: Saw your above reply after I posted. I read the "fake asylum" where they are dancers as how the people in charge saw the girls, not how the girls saw themselves. :shrug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Another way of reading it is that she is pretending/imagining in order to compensate with an inherently traumatic experience. If anything is being romanticized, it's the adventures to get the key items needed for the escape.

However, it's clear that we are not going to change each others' minds, and that's fine. I see the movie holding up fine despite critics railing against projected flaws that reveal their own prejudices and thought processes. Different things speak to different people, which is why the Barbie movie is an important and valuable cinematic achievement (especially for those who are not terminally online).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lobster Henry posted:

I have to admit, I was surprised by the extent to which I thought the movie did manage to make a virtue out of its bluntness. Usually I’m disgruntled when the subtext becomes text in a big grandstanding speech, largely because it punctures my smug self-satisfaction at comprehending media all by myself.

Movies are written for the broadest of audiences, and when you have a message sometimes it is best to say it straight into the camera. Otherwise, people miss it for years. Starship Troopers is the one that always comes to mind because it went over the heads of many people who watched movies for a living, lmao:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/starship-troopers-1997

Roger Ebert posted:

"Starship Troopers'' is the most violent kiddie movie ever made. I call it a kiddie movie not to be insulting, but to be accurate: Its action, characters and values are pitched at 11-year-old science-fiction fans. That makes it true to its source. It's based on a novel for juveniles by Robert A. Heinlein. I read it to the point of memorization when I was in grade school. I have improved since then, but the story has not.

The premise: Early in the next millennium, mankind is engaged in a war for survival with the Bugs, a vicious race of giant insects that colonize the galaxy by hurling their spores into space. If you seek their monument, do not look around you: Bugs have no buildings, no technology, no clothes, nothing but the ability to attack, fight, kill and propagate. They exist not as an alien civilization but as pop-up enemies in a space war.

Human society recruits starship troopers to fight the Bug. Their method is to machine-gun them to death. This does not work very well. Three or four troopers will fire thousands of rounds into a Bug, which like the Energizer Bunny just keeps on comin'. Grenades work better, but I guess the troopers haven't twigged to that. You'd think a human race capable of interstellar travel might have developed an effective insecticide, but no.

It doesn't really matter, since the Bugs aren't important except as props for the interminable action scenes, and as an enemy to justify the film's quasi-fascist militarism. Heinlein was of course a right-wing saberrattler, but a charming and intelligent one who wrote some of the best science fiction ever. "Starship Troopers'' proposes a society in which citizenship is earned through military service, and values are learned on the battlefield.

Heinlein intended his story for young boys, but wrote it more or less seriously. The one redeeming merit for director Paul Verhoeven's film is that by remaining faithful to Heinlein's material and period, it adds an element of sly satire. This is like the squarest but most technically advanced sci-fi movie of the 1950s, a film in which the sets and costumes look like a cross between Buck Rogers and the Archie comic books, and the characters look like they stepped out of Pepsodent ads.

Ebert was so close. This guy, though...

https://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,987338,00.html

Richard Schicksel posted:

There is not, indeed, a base they fail to touch. The enemy is never particularized, so we never have a sympathetic thought for them. And scattered through the movie are online equivalents of those old-fashioned, pseudo-documentary short subjects designed to keep the home front heated up--cheerfully massed soldiers stretching as far as the lens can see, overheated descriptions of atrocious enemy behavior, that sort of thing.

Pretty funny. But not always very funny. For Starship Troopers contains an unexplored premise. There are two classes in this futureworld: civilians, who have sacrificed voting privileges for material ease, and warriors, who earn the right to rule by their willingness to die for the state. In short, we're looking at a happily fascist world. Maybe that's the movie's final, deadpan joke. Maybe it's saying that war inevitably makes fascists of us all. Or--best guess--maybe the filmmakers are so lost in their slambang visual effects that they don't give a hoot about the movie's scariest implications.

lmao

Rarity posted:

The Barney movie had better be a deconstruction of industrialisaton's effect on indgineous wildlife :mad:

I'm really wondering what the Polly Pocket-Lena Dunham joint is going to be.

e;fb

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I stand by that. Characters in Barbie are consistently saying out loud, and not leaving you to infer it from the plot, that the patriarchy is bad and has bad effects on everybody. This is something I don't remember seeing before in blockbusters. I see women treated shabbily, perhaps saying they're treated shabbily because they're women, out loud, but I don't remember seeing a blockbuster that was entirely, explicitly focused on (a kind of) feminism. I have seen blockbusters where people monologued about justice, or patriotism, or were [the events of the movie] really worth it. I haven't seen a monologue about how much it sometimes sucks to be a woman.

Would you consider Wonder Woman? I know Patty Jenkins fell out of favor with 1984, but Diana's encounters with social mores are pretty big indictments of how women are treated and failed by the patriarchy.

The "you don't sleep with women" scene, where just lying down and sleeping next to someone of different sex implies intercourse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMtvZ6m05IE

Diana trying on clothes that women are supposed to wear after heading to London
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuFSNbV3uZA

Diana saving Steve while he assumes the role of "protector" and proceeding to kick the crap out of their attackers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhEr7I8oIho

They aren't speeches, and maybe my point of view is too narrow since Barbie indicts what patriarchy does to all sexes and genders alike.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

70mm film is male coded.

May I ask why?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Because most men are 70mm long.

Only when it's cold out...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Fangz posted:

Did you see the interview from the screenwriter who said that actually he went with that uniform because "everything German is cooler"?

I keep keep saying this. People give Starship Troopers a lot of credit because of Verhoeven but he was only one member of the creative team and there were other people who were involved much longer than he was.

"I stopped after two chapters because it was so boring. It is really quite a bad book. I asked Ed Neumeier to tell me the story because I just couldn't read the thing. It's a very right-wing book. And with the movie we tried, and I think at least partially succeeded, in commenting on that at the same time. It would be eat your cake and have it. All the way through we were fighting with the fascism, the ultra-militarism. All the way through I wanted the audience to be asking, 'Are these people crazy?'"
-Paul Verhoeven on Starship Troopers

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/paul-verhoeven/

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Fangz posted:

Yes, Neumeier is the one I'm talking about. Neumeier loves the book.

Etc. There's a wide gaping gulf between Verhoeven's view of the project and his scriptwriter's view. See also all the sequels which only involved Neumeier.

Right, but I'm talking about the Verhoeven-directed Starship Troopers and not the sequels that kept Neumeier on, and Paul is very vocal about how he wanted to portray the material. Who has more influence on the ultimate portrayal of a movie-the screenwriter or the director? I'd say the director, since they determine the inflection of line delivery and the cuts of the film.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It occupies a superposition state in that it's woke for all the things chuds hate about it, but anti-woke for all the things they love about it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Perhaps, just like Cats 2019 has a "Butthole Cut," Barbie has a "Motherfucker Cut"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You’ve come to a sort of backwards conclusion here. The joke with Ricky Bobby preferring the infant Jesus is that he’s rejecting the adult Jesus did all that intensely political stuff. And, you know, that’s in the context of Ricky Bobby being basically this parodic avatar of American conservative culture.

Never thought of it that way, but it fits the theme of taking on American conservative culture (win above all else, worship capitalism, failing is unforgivable, the fear that Patrick Duffy will seduce your wife away).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:perfect:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lobster Henry posted:

Wait til you see the film “Barbie” (2023) and get a load of the jokes about Zack Snyder and the propensity of many men to drone on about the godfather. You’re gonna be so mad!!

It's a joke based on this series of posts from up thread:

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Fury Road, for all its right on political satire and feminism, visually worked on massive car chases, chrome, a guy shredding guitar riffs hooked up to a truck, empowered female characters who also happen to be models who also happen to not be wearing very much. There is such a thing as gendered aesthetics.

I’d say even Hidden Figures treads a ‘normal’ aesthetic line in the telling of the story and the setting of it that comes from a history of countless films about a minority character overcoming prejudice. That history of films is almost exclusively male in its tropes of story and feel. Colours, architecture, film grades, what have you, are gender coded. 70mm film is male coded. The Barbie movie starts in a colour saturated full physical set of actual Barbie houses and stays that blunt throughout. Whatever else, I can’t think of another massive blockbuster that’s done it that full on before.

They were kind enough to answer my question on why 70mm film is "male coded," though.

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Sure. 70mm is used as a technical shorthand for the supposed importance and depth of the film. It’s technical dick swinging, similar to audiophile pure silver speaker cables and the like. That kind of craftsmanship fetishism tends to be reserved for male ‘auteurs’. A female director can use 70mm, sure, but in that they would be taking on a masculine aesthetic role.

These things are changeable and boundaries move over time of course.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Sound of Music and Dr. Doolittle were also shot on 70mm film. I can see an argument that using the format today is a way of showing off by using one of the most expensive filming media of the day. However, the kind of film used can also be argued as an artistic choice, like a selection of pigments or sculpting material. Using 70mm instead of upscaling 35mm to 70mm is a way of capturing more detail. It can also be seen as a nod to past films that used the medium.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Supergirl has some very bad and cringe dialog, but I think what the point of that interaction is that women get cut less slack than men when it comes to aggression. Perry throwing that chair out the window is just written off as him having a bad day or reacting poorly to bad news. It's not good, but just give him some space and he'll still be able to do his job. If Cat did something like that, it's an inherent issue and evidence that she should not be in charge (she can't take the pressure, she's too emotional, etc.).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

So close at realizing that the idea of patriarchy hurts both men AND women, and yet goes down the :biotruths: and :females: road

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The conversation about whether the screemwriter or director had more say in Starship Troopers is exceedingly silly. No matter the ideologies of the specific creatives, you can watch the movie and it's ridiculously obvious within thirty literal seconds that it's mocking blind jingoism.

People bringing up "Starship Troopers is secretly critiquing fascism" like it's a fun fact is always annoying. It's not a secret, it announces its intentions immediately and loudly.

It should have been, right? But a ton of critics at the time thought it was serious despite Verhoeven's history of making satire. Mobile infantry soldiers laughing while handing out bullets to kids was apparently seen as serious argument toward a "service guarantees citizenship" future.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

notenome posted:

Verhoeven is weird because he's extremely unsubtle and yet is frequently misunderstood, even by accomplished critics like Ebert (love him or hate him). Pretty much everyone nowadays accepts that Starship Troopers is a satire of fascism but Showgirls is still in critical limbo.

Yeah, I linked a couple reviews up (including Ebert's, lol) where they watched the film and say, "Wow, this is a really dangerous idea. It's a shame it wasn't critically analyzed in this very sincere and not-at-all-satirical film." And the only reason I even included this diversion is just because of people saying Gloria's speech probably didn't have to be said out loud. The problem with not doing that is you're going to have a lot of the audience watch the film without ever landing on the message because there are people who just watch movies to pass the time and don't think about them. Sometimes it's best to err on being too direct than relying on the audience to pick up an underlying message.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Breetai posted:

Bolding mine.

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

How could Barbie and Ken do this to Alan???

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

This thread loving delivers

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Breetai posted:

Not getting that Starship Troopers is satirical is the product of either being young enough that you haven't developed the capacity to examine the media you consume at all, or of being very stupid.

There is a scene where a recruitment officer tells the protagonists as they are signing up that "The mobile Infantry made me the man I am today", and then turns in his chair, revealing that he is missing three limbs.

The camera loving lingers on it for gently caress's sake.

How you can see that and not wonder if anything else you are watching should perhaps be viewed through the lens of satire is completely beyond me.

I personally like how almost everyone in mobile infantry are people with aspirations of a better life: the woman who wants to be a politician (leavesafter the farm kid gets his head blown off in training), the man who got into Harvard but was too poor to pay for it (first Klendathu drop victim), the woman who wants to be a mother (panics when Harvard dies, runs, falls in a hole and gets dragged off by bugs), and the man who wants to be a journalist (eaten after the reporter is eaten by a bug---whose death is filmed by the camera man). They're all braving the meat grinder, and they end up worse off (dejected or dead).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's exactly the point, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, it's why I posted it as a follow-up. Anyone who looks at that film and concludes it's a full-throated endorsement of military worship and fascism is dumb as hell.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barbie 2 will open up with Gloria in an insane asylum, screaming "It's real!!!" like Sisko in DS9.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Poor Ken. He was conceived to be Barbie's accessory while she is everything, and now he's being called Satan?

When will enough be Kenough?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Enjoying things really is the best way to spend your time alive

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rarity posted:

Welcome to the SMG experience

Half of the reason I love this particular subforum is because of the SMG experience. I may not agree with all of their takes, but I'm never not impressed nor entertained.

Edited to include post that I missed but totally agree with:

Eason the Fifth posted:

He's been doing this for 20 years without missing a beat, and although it comes off as absurd a lot of the time, I absolutely have to respect the long-term effort here. Ngl,

is a hell of a read I never would have come up with, but it's supported by the text as far as I can tell, and is a more insightful critique than any actual movie critic would provide. SMG is CD.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

If Barbie is everything, then Ken is an everyman.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More houses should have a waterslide leading from the bedroom to a pool in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

Two ovens, no toilets.

check again