Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This is one of the smartest scripts I feel like I've seen in awhile. Oppenheimer felt like a bad script acted well/interesting enough to let you ignore that. Can't fathom how you could make this better.

Everything just hit. The sets were amazing, all the joke beats about it being a fake world worked so so so well. And the showstopper number is a loving banger.

Can totally see the criticism that ultimately the justice of the movie is that women are in complete control and men will struggle to climb ranks for decades and only then get a couple of seats on their supreme court.....

...but it's a movie. And men predominately do control the real world boardrooms and government. The movie is trying to be inspiring and parity is so far off yet that it's like complaining someone brought a water pistol to a gun fight.

Could the movie have used a positive male role model that wasn't a joke? Maybe? But there's already almost every other movie for those. Men don't need this one too. Along those lines, did love that they don't *redeem* Ken, but they did give him a path forward.

I do like that this film walked into a thunder storm with a lightning rod, and anyone who gets mad at is is literally getting mad at "The Barbie Movie".

William Bear posted:

It was a stroke of genius to have Ken's favorite song be "Push" by Matchbox Twenty.

I wonder how much thought went into that selection, because I'm pretty sure no other song would have been more hilarious.

Them zooming out on him playing it to reveal them all playing to their Barbie... impeccable.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Good, they deserve all those wins.

I am pre-emptively weary for the upcoming wave of media that completely misses that this movie works because of the substance + the style and not just style alone. What happens often with Wes Andreson's flicks, where people will assume this is such a big hit because PINK!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Recoome posted:

My fiancée hit the nail on the head[spoiler] - that Ken takes on an antagonist role because Barbie won't date him is a pretty common experience at least in a White Australian women context.

He's legit one of the better movie villains in recent memory.

You can see entirely where he's coming from. It's painful seeing him turn into full on villain cause the movie makes clear he's still hurting through pretty much every 'triumph' scene. & it's nice the movie addresses that Barbie coulda been sensitive to her friend, but ultimately it's still on him to figure his poo poo out.

Also the power ballad is fuckin' perfect.

Dang I loved this flick. What a perfect storm of things that had to come together for it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Doc Fission posted:

For sure, but in that case I think she could've stuck with keeping it a comedy instead of trying to do Big Themes and come off looking like a more deft filmmaker. Like again, the comedy is a knockout, which just makes the parts that aren't comedic and desire to be taken seriously a frustrating experience

I see where you're coming from, but I appreciated that the film didn't shy away from those things, because the subject matter practically demands it.

quote:

Basically: weird bourgeois sensibilities at play, weird old prescriptive feminism rhetoric from America's character, needless ambiguity about whether the daughter's perspective early in the movie is valid. The moment when Barbie bemoans not being pretty enough isn't lampshaded sufficiently - it doesn't make any goddamn sense in the context of everything that happens prior. There's just so much gibberish. I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary from a Barbie movie but I feel like Greta Gerwig demonstrates a kind of unusual amateurism here. The movie works best when it's a series of vignettes and capers; the sight gags are great; the cutaways are fun. Margot Robbie and Gosling are really great and everyone's demonstrating good comedic chops. But when it tries to become a whole it gets real "today's theme is ... themes".

Like, not wrong. But I don't think the amount of perspectives shown was to it's detriment. To me, the daughters perspective early on didn't need to be validated, per se, and presenting it was a nice nod that, yeah, that opinion also exists. I can't fault the movie for not trying to definitively answer the great moral question of "is Barbie good".

Also helps that the core themes do hit pretty well - i.e. the main characters arcs being self denial and self acceptance in the literal sense. Some of the more preachy speeches aren't amazing, but everything else is so it's easy to overlook.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Panfilo posted:

Which is why I find Alan so charming; he's Ken's (under appreciated) friend, he doesn't need to be more Ken than Ken, he doesn't need Barbie to love him. He's just Alan, and that's all right. Perhaps that explains why he was so supportive of the Barbies--he doesn't need a Kensurrection to assert his place in the hierarchy, I feel like he's happy with who he is.

The only thing that sat off to me about this film was that Alan doesn't really get any resolution. He wants to get the gently caress outta Barbie land, but then is brought back and then disappears from the movie, unless I missed something. It's also a somewhat odd juxtaposition that the film makes him a punching bag for the full run, but goes to great length to note that people are good just the way they are. Like "everyone has beauty", but also "this weirdo tho, have at it". Him beating up the construction workers wan't really a turn for him, iirc they make more jokes at his expense in the wrap up.

(Still loved it, and think it's brilliant, as mentioned elsewhere)

edit: also, huh, they got Slash for the guitar on the big rock ballad.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 29, 2023