Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm somewhat interested in seeing this but not terribly - is this an existential comedy? Like living in oblivion but the framing device is being a toy instead of making a movie? I don't know what it's compared to. I'm not trying to be a dick with this question.

When I think Oppenheimer I think Patton biopic, for comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a social commentary comedy

Neat, thanks.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ken doesn't bring patriarchy to Barbieland. Barbieland is a fantasy realm that was already entirely controlled and sustained by Mattel and Warner Bros Discovery (whose HQ is conspicuously visible from the Mattel boardroom's window). This means that it was always an outgrowth of the patriarchy in "the real world".

That's the Matrix analogy they're going for, with Barbie obviously in the role of Tom Anderson/Neo. Unlike the Matrix, though, there's no functional economic system within the simulation. Ken just says "the abstract concept of patriarchy is good", then suddenly has a flatscreen TV because that phrase memetically infected the cartoon president.

Barbie The Movie is consequently neither anti-men nor anti-patriarchy. It's straightforwardly in favor of the patriarchy, albeit in a moderate-centrist way. Gloria advocates for gradualism, probably gets a promotion within her male-dominated company, and indulges in harmless power-fantasies on the side. 'I can be an astronaut, and bully a dickless Ryan Gosling!'

Hm. Sounds like they played it safe and it has less of a message than Battleship (2012) did.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dodgeblan posted:

I saw the movie, thought it was really funny and kinda heartwarming

as a man who is terminally online the mom's feminism speech landed with a thud

I wonder if you weren't someone who has encountered the same speech a thousand times verbatim would it be effective? Does that person exist?

My (not very online) Wife saw the movie and said she enjoyed it until the speech, which was simply depressing to her

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
From the last page of discussion it sounds like Mattel figured out the prototype in how to make a profitable movie where a character turns to the camera to lament the patriarchy - simply base the movie on a famous brand marketed to girls.

I'm actually curious if anything similar will pop up in the future Mattel offerings or if Gertwig is the only one who can pull it off.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 1, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/02/barbie-movie-flops-south-korea-feminism

I think this is an interesting viewpoint in terms of how the feminism of Barbie is received versus other movies. Whether it's simply marketing or not, some people perceive it much differently than other movies.

For comparison, Fury Road made 26m there, barely below the UK for the #1 market outside the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think where Starship Troopers either struggles or shines the most (take your pick) is how it presents its society as more democratic and equal than society in the 90s, let alone now.

The biggest example is when the white general in charge of Klendarhu acknowledges his failures and is replaced by a black woman, then he stands in support of her. Imagine politicians/generals in America actually taking responsibility, it's unheard of.

Then you have the gender roles being pretty much equal at the lower ranks too - women in the infantry, in the showers, captaining the ships.

The press is free and open enough to do a live broadcast of a disaster, rather than censoring and hiding what happened.

And of course, guaranteed citizenship, full stop, instead of the American method where various military veterans are deported. Not to mention no hint of voter suppression, poll taxes, etc - from the very beginning the line is crystal clear on the fairness of the system, despite it requiring an awful tradeoff to acquire the voting rights.

I don't think the movie is supporting fascism, but I think it tears down 90s liberalism so much that it's easy to misinterpret it. Especially because of our obsession with team politics and viewing any attack on one side as support of the other.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 13, 2023