Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Halisnacks posted:

Another small detail I just recalled: when the Kens are explaining finance to the Barbies, it’s all about bonds and CDs, in line with the more dated stereotypes of masculinity in Gloria’s head, rather than stonks/crypto.

I think it works for the film, but I guess I don’t really get why Gloria’s view of masculinity would have crystallised so sharply as (presumably) a young child. She’s a millennial woman who stopped forming opinions of what it means to be masculine despite growing up and living in LA, dating and finding a partner, working in a corporate environment, having a kid, etc.?

Making fun of Matchbox 20, 90’s fashion and pre-crypto finance bro stuff cushions the blow of the jokes made at men’s expense. It’s all so far in the past that nobody’s going to take it personally, and lets men laugh at themselves too

Which is why the Zack Snyder joke was like swatting a bee’s nest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The movie’s not aiming to skewer guys, just some light ribbing so that they’ll be on board with the rest of the film

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/pushpins_/status/1684602819607736320?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I though of him as dumb-but-means-well, but then my Latina friend talked about how her husband and her dad both learned Spanish to bond with their wives/kids and that it meant a lot to her to see them represented on screen so I have a brighter view of him now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Uno movie should just be an adaptation of Trading Places

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey umm

When did you see Barbie, and when you saw Barbie did Issa Rae say “motherfucker” uncensored, or was she bleeped out

I saw Barbie a second time and she was bleeped, and there was a Mattel logo over Issa Rae’s mouth. I could swear she was uncensored on opening week but I wonder if I’m remembering wrong

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Looking forward to all the mink coat lightning bandana Kencels this Halloween

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Where’s her keychain? This is lesbian erasure!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

I'm always talking at my girlfriend about the bro-coded, shot on 70mm film My Fair lady.

My Fair Lady, IIRC…

Pygmalion was written around the time of the women’s suffrage movement. George Bernard Shaw believed in women’s rights and so wrote a play where a woman is raised up out of poverty to be a man’s trained seal but ends up leaving him and being independent.

His producer wanted a more traditional ending where the guy gets the girl in the end so after the initial run he rewrote the ending behind Shaw’s back so that Dolittle goes back to Higgins. Shaw was so outraged by this that he threatened to shoot his producer.

This happy romantic ending is what ended up in My Fair Lady

If you want a more feminist, faithful adaptation may I suggest watching Ex Machina with your girlfriend

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 5, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno maybe they’re not allowed to be ugly but in terms of occupation there was a very clear shot of yassified garbage women

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Vegetable posted:

I do feel the gynecologist joke at the end misses the mark. It’s a joke about how Barbie dolls don’t have genitals, yes. But in what’s already a pretty cis movie the throwaway line reeks of gender essentialism.

It crossed my mind too, but I asked my trans roommate and they thought it was no big deal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

Did you not notice that her voice was so much deeper than your manly squeaking?

I didn’t notice until the second time I saw it, after I found out she was trans

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can’t remember if this thread mentioned it but Weird Barbie had a carabiner keychain, which I found out after seeing the movie was another lesbian signifier.

Then Mattel comes out with a movie-tie-in Weird Barbie doll without the keychain accessory

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Halisnacks posted:

No, it’s a movie with a Barbie portrayed by a trans woman. The movie does not explicitly feature a trans Barbie character.

Can one say Stereotypical Barbie is a trans metaphor

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno, without the narration I might not have noticed that the old dolls were children and intended to funnel girls into motherhood, and only thought of the old dolls as old fashioned looking

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

It definitely seems like it is targeted towards millennials.

For sure. Gloria is the audience surrogate, and most of the jokes are 90’s jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I coulda sworn I posted this already in this thread but I guess maybe it was in another thread;

I’m just a dumb cishet guy so I asked my trans roommate about the vagina ending. They said it didn’t come across as exclusionary because Margot Robbie is playing Stereotypical Barbie, and saying that vaginas are associated with the stereotypical woman is not problematic. They said it would have been a problem if the movie said you have to have a vagina to be a woman, which in their view the film did not