Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

CelticPredator posted:

Like a lot of event movies it was better in the theater where everyone was dressed in pink and excited.

I tried watching it at home and it was ok but I did something else after like 15 mins lol

Yeah I had a blast watching it opening weekend with a packed theater of people all in pink and hype as gently caress. I've watched it on streaming a couple times since and it's still pretty solidly fine with occasional bits that still make me laugh ("The president's here!" "I am! You're welcome." and other such moments especially with Issa Rae).

My perspective on the last moments of the film, especially the conversation between Barbie and Ruth, feel like more of a dig at parenthood/motherhood (especially truly bonkers parental reactions to people who come out as gay/trans/etc.) than womanhood. Like, just because I created you doesn't mean I control who you choose to be; Ruth 'created' Barbie but it's completely under Barbie's control to decide who she is (which with the final scene seems to be "human woman with a vagina") and no one else can dictate that for her. A less mass-market/brand-focused movie maybe takes more of a swerve with that final scene but it didn't bother me (as an NB person).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU