Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I keep seeing commentary about simplistic ideas of feminism as a failing of the movie (which I would 100% expect because after all this is a marketing tool more than anything else), especially as it relates to the big conflict in the second act but I feel like I'm missing something because I don't get it.

As "Combed Thunderclap" said ITT, Barbie as a concept is just a canvas to project patriarchal ideals and expectations of femininity onto. Which would mean that Barbieland isn't some feminist utopia, or even a matriarchy (beyond the strictest of definitions) - it's a place that exists to "empower" Barbies to play the roles (jobs or what have you) expected of them. In that sense, the fact that Kens are treated as props with no sense of purpose outside of their relation to Barbies isn't an indictment of feminism, it's a criticism of patriarchy. Patriarchy presumes that in a female-centered society men would be denied value or agency or independent identity. As I understand it, the movie presents all of this as hosed up from the jump; yes Barbie's existence is comfortable and fun and lively but clearly not good and not fulfilling. It also makes it clear that the dynamic is hurtful if not outright harmful for at least one Ken. But that situation isn't the fault of Barbies, who have no real power except to play whatever role they're assigned - it's the fault of the people projecting expectations onto them, the most plentiful and powerful of whom are men in the real world. The marginalization of Kens is the result of a failure of patriarchy, which then begets more crisis after Ken is exposed to the real world where he is shamed for not living up to the standards of a "real man". Men failed Ken, denied him an opportunity to develop an identity distinct from unrealistic gendered expectations, and his response is to blame women.

Am I missing something? Very much not a gender scholar or whatever so interested in other more informed takes. Just kind of baffled by the "the Barbie movie is bad for feminism because it treats matriarchy as patriarchy flipped upside down" angle of critique.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

All Ken knows is that horses look cool, are strong and fast, and get to run free - of course he would use that as the animal of choice for the Kens.The joke is that Ken has no idea that affinity for horses is a gendered thing in the real world, so in his misguided attempt to be uber-masculine he fixates on an animal associated with little girls.