Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went with my sisters to see both this and oppenheimer. I thought it was a fun movie, but it does seem like no one knows who the movie is for. I went in assuming that it was for adults, since it is rated PG-13 and seems to have a lot of material that's meant for adults to understand. But then all the trailers were for kids movies. I feel like marketing dropped the ball with this, because I assume a bunch of parents who don't bother to look into anything will just see "Barbie" and assume it's for their five year old, despite the fact that it is rated PG-13.

Overall I feel like I have a completely different takeway from this than everyone else. What I took from the movie is that feminism isn't "women should do everything", it's that everyone should be treated fairly. That's what I thought Stereotypical Barbie was learning when they retook control of the government and reinstated the Matriarchy and then she gets back home and Ken explains the problems he has with their system. But it seems like a lot of people are taking away that it's either matriarchy or patriarchy and the matriarchy of Barbieland is fine and that the Kens actually have it good even though they don't have real jobs, are all idiots, and are treated like pets. They don't even have a place where they live and the Barbies don't even care because the Kens are basically accessories and then they get upset when the Kens want to be their accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Taear posted:

I said it before but I felt bad for him with that bit
He's literally programmed to be dating barbie, it's all he lives for. And I feel like they poo poo on him for it a bit

I think a bunch of people are missing this bit. They want to poo poo on Ken as if he's a real man, but he isn't. He is pretty much a child, and doesn't understand anything that's going on. The kens have been kept stupid by the Barbies. They don't have real jobs, and they have all been programmed to be infatuated with Barbie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

I can't remember my Barbie life but was Earring Magic Ken actually marketed as gay?

It was an accident. They did Earring Magic Barbie and that was successful and Ken was failing, so they decided to try Earring Magic Ken. When they went out to research fashion trends at that time, they accidentally went to gay clubs and researched gay fashions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's definitely weird. For boys, a horse is just an accessory to a cowboy or a knight. Girls are the ones where the horse is the main toy or just as important as the main toy. That was a weird a aspect to the movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We don't know if they enjoy roller blading, that's just a requirement to get to Barbieland.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

The movie firmly establishes a heightened reality in which the real life gets directly influenced by things happening in Barbieland, it is thus text that Barbie dolls actually have a lot of power and having toxic Ken dolls have power is bad. This serves to underline the main theme, which is "man this is ridiculous, it couldn't happen in real life, because that is much stupider"

I'm still confused over who has the power to influence which reality. The movie tells us that girls playing with barbies in the real world have the ability to affect the personality of an individual Barbie. Then someone told me that the Barbies can't be to blame for how Kens are treated because the Mattel board controls the Barbies or something. But then a single Ken gets into the real world and goes back with a few books and suddenly he now controls not only Barbieland, but he is causing new products to be created and sold in the real world?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

It's supposed to only flow one way. The girls playing with barbies created Barbieland, but now that it exists, it's still connected to the same collective unconciousness that generated it. If you alter it, then, well -- it reflects the zeitgeist, so if it changed, then so must the zeitgeist, by definition. As above, so below. That's why the execs are worried about a doll coming to the real world, but absolutely flipping out about a real person going to Barbieland.

That still doesn't explain how Ken was able to just change everything just by learning vaguely what patriarchy is. Do the Kens have the real power to control Barbieland but are instead kept ignorant and powerless by the ruling Barbie class?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well this thread really went to poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't remember if there was a Mattel logo, but it was bleeped when I saw it the second day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

That's not really what happens at all... the Kens could vote, they just forget to because they're fighting a Ken civil war. And yeah, the Barbies helped sparked that civil war, but imho it still reads as the kens causing their own downfall by succumbing to their toxic masculine traits absurdly easily

The Barbies specifically orchestrate voter suppression campaign to distract the Kens from voting so they can take back control. But it's fine, because the Barbies are nicer dictators I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

The narrator line about how we shouldn’t worry because the Kens will eventually achieve the same power/influence as women have in the real world is what saves all this. If we are angry about political power and civic subjugation in the fantasy Barbieland, we should examine how the real world is organised.

I don't know if it really saves anything, because the Kens are still powerless now. It seems like a lot of people are coming at this from the perspective that it's ok to oppress the Kens because men have power in the real world, where the Kens don't live. But don't worry, one day they might have some power.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm always talking at my girlfriend about the bro-coded, shot on 70mm film My Fair lady.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That guy is going to hate the hit TV show, Ow My Balls.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What about that is dino damage?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
To me dino damage means you can pop off the skin panel of the dinosaur and it reveals the muscle and bones underneath, not that it's just damaged in general.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We have proof that Allan hosed, and he's an incel?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure Barbie driving a pink Corvette predates the branding deal GM made for this movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I just googled and one of the Barbie side kicks is a transwoman which is nice. The text is cishet as hell but it’s nice that Gerwig was able to make that happen in a major studio movie.

Did you not notice that her voice was so much deeper than your manly squeaking?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ok, but where do I inject my own narrative that doesn't exist in the movie?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had also been hearing it as virginity. It made sense to me, since he has no genitals and was constantly rebuffed by Barbie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't see how the extended 2001: A Space Odyssey riff would land without narration.

The gynecologist joke at the end is not just the surprise that she's at a gynecologist rather than a job interview, but that she's ecstatic about it. I have never known another uterus-having person to be thrilled at the prospect of a GYN vist.

She's a child excited about the prospect of doing an adult task, not really knowing what it entails.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree. Without the narration, I would have just thought "they don't like their old dolls, and they like this new one." I wouldn't make the connection that the old dolls were for turning them into mothers and the new doll was for letting them be whatever they want to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It definitely seems like it is targeted towards millennials.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I mean, Push is also age specific.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No role that Kate McKinnon has ever played is straight.

Some of the characters she played on SNL were straight. Usually some sort of monster trying to seduce whoever was the host that week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Any dumb thing that happens in the real world in the movie that allows for something in Barbie land is fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What does that mean? What are people limboing out of? She becomes a real person and gets genitals for the first time in her life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When you make a big effort post based on you misremembering a line in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The sets for Barbie were cool, the houses were neat. The sets for Poor Things are really crazy with how much effort they put into them.