Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes that's right, Zatch Bell 2 has been releasing monthly for a bit over a year now. Following the results of the tournament to decide who will become the new King of the Demon Realm, Zatch Bell 2 takes place years later.

If you have not read the original Zatch Bell, absolutely do so before going any further. One of the best examples of the very definition of a Shonen manga, I've always mentally thought of it summarized with the simple statement, "incredible heart, passable art". It follows Gash, one of 100 demons sent to the Earth realm to find their human partner and to battle until only one demon remains, who becomes the Demon King. Gash wants to become a "Kind King", and prevent the ones who would turn the demon realm into a true hell.

The amount of heartfelt action and energy in this series is nuts. I remember reading the manga, with its barely-legible scanlations at the time, but it was still incredibly fun, engaging, and goddamn heartbreaking. So many of the 100 demons are fantastic characters, as well as their human partners. There's plenty of twists and turns, of course, and while the art is passable, when the artist goes nuts in two-page attack spread, which there are A LOT OF, it's really amazing. Go read it if you haven't!

-----------------

Raiku Makoto has vastly improved in the art department, and has full ownership of the series now, publishing it under their own manga label. They release the series once a month digitally. I'm not sure what exactly went down with it, I know Shogakukan lost some of his artwork for the original series and he successfully sued them over it, but I'm not sure if there was anything related to the publishing of the new series as well or if he just went off and did it himself afterwards, no connection. Either way, great! He gets to do it his own way.

Zatch Bell 2 takes place years after the first series. A group of young demons are being attacked by a huge monstrous killer, and they've lost the power to defend themselves! They use a portal device to transport to the Earth realm, and that is where the story begins.

I really don't want to say any more, just dive right in if you've already finished the original series. It's wonderful, and has all the strengths of the original, now with better artwork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This manga rules.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Read all 14 chapters.

We're so goddamn back!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Oh good, he's wearing pants now

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Happy Landfill posted:

Oh good, he's wearing pants now

I've really liked the new designs for the most part, for sure. They manage to convey that time has passed and the characters have all grown and changed a lot more, in my opinion at least, than the usual shonen time skip that was popular for a while. But maybe it's just because it was accompanied by an actual real world time gap between the two series.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I've really liked the new designs for the most part, for sure. They manage to convey that time has passed and the characters have all grown and changed a lot more, in my opinion at least, than the usual shonen time skip that was popular for a while. But maybe it's just because it was accompanied by an actual real world time gap between the two series.

Oh god, now I really want to see a Zatch Bell 2 style sequel for Flint The Time Detective, a show I'm pretty sure only I remember

I really enjoyed Digimon Tri (for the most part) so it's been fun seeing these time-skip sequels and the type of stories they are able to tell with these characters as they grow up a little more.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 14, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zatch bell is extremely good. And hell, Zatch Bell 2 might just end up being better!

Also, I think the art is good not merely passable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caught up on the new chapters. Holy poo poo Tio and also Folgore is still the best character in shonen battle manga history. What a goddamn hero

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah tio got an insane glow up between series. I love that she clearly was like "well all my abilities are healing, so I'll train my body with PUNCH MAGIC"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, I think the art is good not merely passable.
in the original? the two-page spreads are fantastic and the dramatic moments are generally good with more effort put into them, but the general art imo is pretty basic. as the series progressed the "regular panel" art definitely got better, but it's only gotten actually good with the sequel series imo

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm amazed at how well this series takes me for an emotional rollercoaster, and it's only been 14 chapters. This is the best :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Caught up on the new chapters. Holy poo poo Tio and also Folgore is still the best character in shonen battle manga history. What a goddamn hero

Iron Folgore! Invincible Folgore!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5S1zsWFVY&t=36s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'm amazed at how well this series takes me for an emotional rollercoaster, and it's only been 14 chapters. This is the best :allears:

Seriously every page turn in the latest chapter had me dreading hitting the end.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

This manga rules.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pewdiepie posted:

This manga rules.

:hai:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

there's a part of me that's a little bummed that raiku (presumably) felt he had to come back to this world because his other works weren't hitting, but on the other hand this poo poo rips so i can't really complain

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

kidcoelacanth posted:

there's a part of me that's a little bummed that raiku (presumably) felt he had to come back to this world because his other works weren't hitting, but on the other hand this poo poo rips so i can't really complain

It'd be a shame if that was the case because I generally like everything by him I've read; granted I haven't read it all. Animal Land wasn't perfect, but I felt it was pretty solid for a lot of the same reasons Zatch Bell was. I enjoy a series that can blend it's goofy rear end comedy and serious drama.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think thats the case at all. he went out of his way to get the rights completely and animal land had a solid five year run and he did some bonus content for it too. and the content in this genuinely doesnt feel like someone just trying to milk an old thing, it feels like he had actual ideas for it.

and animal land did fine. it wasnt as big a hit as zatch bell but it appeared in best seller lists.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zatch bell is very good
Zatch bell 2 ia also very good

I am so glad that this exists and the day that i saw that first chapter drop was incredible.

One thing i dont get though is the teeth
They freak me out
Not enough to not love the manga with all my being

But those teeth

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I loved Gash Bell a lot when I read it, even if the pacing could be somewhat slow, and the sequelso far is just more of the good parts, cool battles and strong emotional scenes, so I'm loving it too.

My only real complain is

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But those teeth

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But those teeth

It's the floating gums, they disturb me greatly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

i dont think thats the case at all. he went out of his way to get the rights completely and animal land had a solid five year run and he did some bonus content for it too. and the content in this genuinely doesnt feel like someone just trying to milk an old thing, it feels like he had actual ideas for it.

and animal land did fine. it wasnt as big a hit as zatch bell but it appeared in best seller lists.

Vector Ball didn't though, right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he cancelled that after a falling out with an editor

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I binged all of the series last month to catch up and follow the ongoing release. And I want to say. Kanchome is the best.

Happy Landfill posted:

Oh god, now I really want to see a Zatch Bell 2 style sequel for Flint The Time Detective, a show I'm pretty sure only I remember

I really enjoyed Digimon Tri (for the most part) so it's been fun seeing these time-skip sequels and the type of stories they are able to tell with these characters as they grow up a little more.

I remember Flint the Time Detective. It used to run in a block here with Monster Rancher (see avatar) and I think Medabots?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kanchome and Folgore are the best of their character archetype.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kanchome and Folgore are the best of their character archetype.
this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikGvLUbOuU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dame da ne...dame yo, dame na no yo.....

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No because they're the best from the start

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oh my,

I am thrilled

Fantastically Thrilled to see the return of this.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Can't believe I didn't hear about the sequel sooner. Raiku is a genius of comedic and emotional timing.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I binged all of the series last month to catch up and follow the ongoing release. And I want to say. Kanchome is the best.

I remember Flint the Time Detective. It used to run in a block here with Monster Rancher (see avatar) and I think Medabots?

You are correct. I think it came on before Digimon. It definitely wasn't as good as its contemporaries but I still have a huge soft spot in my heart for it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

dame da ne...dame yo, dame na no yo.....

Hope she makes it out ok.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love a series that can have a character like that be just a completely, hilariously incompetent boob normally but during a fight they're a serious, extremely dangerous threat

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the riddle professor kicks rear end

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I love a series that can have a character like that be just a completely, hilariously incompetent boob normally but during a fight they're a serious, extremely dangerous threat

One Piece used to have a lot of those... I miss the super silly villains.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey at least we still have buggy...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Plutonis posted:

One Piece used to have a lot of those... I miss the super silly villains.

Kaido and big mom were plenty silly, so was Mochi guy

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Everyone in onepiece is a goof in the off hours, were just at the point where if someones incompetent in a fight they have 0 business being there and you cant really justify that narratively.

We just dont see the off hours as much these days. Aside from buggy.

Zatch bell 1 had the same kind of progression where they won less and less because of exploiting a certain eccentricity of a villain as the series went on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You say passable art, but this series does excel at one thing - faces. And just the way it draws comedy stuff in general. The character art is very distinct in a way that holds up really well (as shown by the fact that the sequel is releasing so many years later).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

You say passable art, but this series does excel at one thing - faces. And just the way it draws comedy stuff in general. The character art is very distinct in a way that holds up really well (as shown by the fact that the sequel is releasing so many years later).

I love weird face he gives characters whenever he has them run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Kaido and big mom were plenty silly, so was Mochi guy

They were sometimes silly and mostly badasses. Not like my beloved Gedatsu and Bon Clay...