Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hi. I plan to go to Costa Rica shortly. I love making food. What's the grocery situation like in Costa Rica? My wife is a wineO so she's on the hunt for wine in Costa Rica. Thinking to utilize duty free but is anything available in grocery stores too???

If anyone has some idea what I can expect as my hosts would like a list of groceries I want to have them buy before my arrival.

Our itinerary is pretty set but dinners and lunches are open so far so those are what in focusing on in terms of advice in this far away land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Costa Rica can't actually grow it's wine so I've never looked nor tried much compared to local alcohols. In general I see locals drinking almost exclusively Argentinian and Chilean wine. Should be able to get USA wine pretty easily as well.

Popular Costa Rican dishes you can try to make while you're there:
Casados https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casado - no specific makeup or ingredients to this dish but it may be hard to get fried plantains anywhere else
Chicken cordon bleu (Costa Rican version)
Ceviche
Tacos and burritos (another imported food but also seems popular)

Components
Costa Rican cheeses. (turrialba, palmito) many many meals at a restaurant or homemade will come with a thin slab of fresh cheese. Would recommend trying them and adding them to your dishes.
meats. Not sure how much is imported versus local but the quality of beef, chicken, and fish are all generally very high.
sauces. Again, not so familiar with these but many dishes came with a great sauce. One in particular might be "caribe" (?) sauce which is an mostly translucent yellowish oily garlicy sauce I've seen put on chicken and pork.

It seems as though you have some local hosts, in which case might want to ask them what they typically cook for themselves!

Also - not strictly "food" but would recommend also trying to learn how to make coffee the Costa Rican way (dripped through a sock). Your hosts may even have the rack and a sock available for you to use.

Hackjack fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 16, 2023

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Costa Rican food is... basic? I was there for 5 years and while I like a Casado they do grow old. I loved Gallo pinto if it was made well. They drench everything in a local sauce called Salsa Linzano, it's one of those things like Vegemite where they take it abroad in huge bottles because how could you live without it?
The highlights for me were the fresh fruits in amazing varieties at the weekly markets and the liquados, (SP?) basically smoothies of every sort which are great. Ice cream is good there, traditional at the Mercado central in San Jose and modern from the Monte Verde cheese factory in Santa Elena, such good milkshakes as well, made with milk from a tap in the wall.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I was in Costa Rica for 10 days back in the 90s. I think I remember puking twice, both times due to drinking mango juice that was probably fetid or something. Also one time I left out cabana and saw a scorpion, then when I came back I saw the same scorpion being literally paraded away on its back, dead, by like 300 ants. That was wild. I also saw a sloth just chilling in the trees and some parrots.

Overall pretty cool place, just don't drink the mango juice.

Does anyone remember that time Lowtax found that one guy's video espousing how great Costa Rica was as a foreign man, because the women there don't give you poo poo (unlike his ex wife did!!!)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

edit: Found it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uPc_oISJok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dear lord, could they have picked a worse guy to interview about how prostitution is cool and good than the one who shows up at 9:02?

Continuing to watch, this is just loving harrowing. Like, interviewing the sex worker who is constantly talking about how afraid she is while she is working because of the dangerous things clients can do to her, and then it cuts to one of the guys talking about how the women are doing it because they don't have any other options. (!)